Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    They were playing the “Obscured By Clouds” album from Pink Floyd. I can’t say that I have ever heard that in a public place before..
    A few years back, I heard that album being played before a show where I was working the merchandise table. The funny thing is, I don't actually have that album (yeah, I know...), but I somehow recognized it as Floyd, probably recognized Gilmour or Waters' singing voices, or maybe Gilmour's guitar playing. Anyhow, so I was thinking it had to be one of two albums, the other possibility being More, since that's the other Pink Floyd album I've never owned (yeah, I know...). But, I am familiar with the song Free Four, so when that came on, I knew which record I was hearing.

"Free Four" was on the PF compilation album "Works" which I heard way before I bought "Obscured by Clouds." The interesting thing is most people recognize "Have a cigar" as PF and that doesn't have David or Roger singng lead vocals on it(not the official released version anyway). I guess all or most of us on here know that was Roy Harper singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    "Free Four" was on the PF compilation album "Works" which I heard way before I bought "Obscured by Clouds." The interesting thing is most people recognize "Have a cigar" as PF and that doesn't have David or Roger singng lead vocals on it(not the official released version anyway). I guess all or most of us on here know that was Roy Harper singing.
    I think when I first heard it (guy at school ran off a tape of WYWH and DSOTM for me) I just assumed it was one of the band - at the time I didn't know any of their names anyway. Harper doesn't sound a million miles away from Waters, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I think when I first heard it (guy at school ran off a tape of WYWH and DSOTM for me) I just assumed it was one of the band - at the time I didn't know any of their names anyway. Harper doesn't sound a million miles away from Waters, IMO.
    There's actually a live version with RH singing it with PF. Unfortunately, it's beyond horrible.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Harper doesn't sound a million miles away from Waters, IMO.
    Agreed. I had assumed it was Waters or Gilmour until I was told otherwise.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The interesting thing is most people recognize "Have a cigar" as PF and that doesn't have David or Roger singng lead vocals on it(not the official released version anyway). I guess all or most of us on here know that was Roy Harper singing.
    Also, Have A Cigar is played regularly on classic rock radio, so most people have heard it, know it's Pink Floyd, even if they don't realize who's singing. Hell, most of the people who've heard Have A Cigar probably have no clue who Roy Harper is. They only know him from that one track (or perhaps they know of Zeppelin's homage to him).

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There's actually a live version with RH singing it with PF. Unfortunately, it's beyond horrible.
    Probably the Knebworth show, where Roy opened for them. I've never heard the recording, but I always heard that whole day was a debacle. Roy's stage clothes got stolen, so he threw a Keith Moon sized fit in his backstage trailer (which is said to have inspired the One Of My Turns in The Wall movie). Then Pink Floyd were late getting ready to play. A pair of Spitfire fighter planes were meant to buzz the audience just as the band came on, but due to delays in getting the stage ready, they didn't actually start playing until quite some time after the fighter jets flew over. Then apparently, Rick Wright's synth drifted out of tune, due to the inadequate power supplies. Also, the band was jet-lagged from having only just returned from their US tour (which had ended just a few days earlier).

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Agreed. I had assumed it was Waters or Gilmour until I was told otherwise.
    I alwyas knew it was Roy because I had the LP, where he's credited as such. I'm not sure if I knew who he was before that, though I'm sure I must have seen him perform with Gilmour on the Hammersmith Odeon show from 84 (where he joins Dave for Short And Sweet) when it aired on Stateside TV (it was shown on MTV but I think it was shown on some syndicated concert program in the afternoon, because I have this distinct memory of being impressed with the whammy bar dive bomb at the end of All Lovers Are Deranged, and verbally explained, "How did he do that?!", and my dad, who knows zilch about music, much less about guitars, says, "Probably electronically", and I'm sure that conversation wouldn't have happened if I was watching the thing at 11:00pm on a Saturday night).

- Public Restroom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Probably the Knebworth show, where Roy opened for them. I've never heard the recording.
    Yep, Knebworth '75. There used to be YT audios, but they seem to be blocked. I tried to find a link. Maybe someone else can find it

Harper really sounds awful.

- Public Restroom Wall

[One of the people at the other table came up to the bar tender and asked him what the music was.]

I really wonder if they would have asked that if they were playing Dark Side of the Moon. I know Obscured is 100 times more obscure(a little happy accident there) but I can't imagine anyone who didn't already know PF(even if they only knew the most well known stuff including DSOTM) not at least recognizing them. That's a real head scratcher for me. That would sort of be like someone hearing A trick of the tail but still asking who it was. Really? You don't recognize Phil Collins vocals and can't put two and two together to figure out that was Genesis?
    She was very familiar with Pink Floyd, but had not heard this particular album.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    She was very familiar with Pink Floyd, but had not heard this particular album.
    Just out of curiosity do you know if she was familiar with any pre DSOTM PF album?

Just out of curiosity do you know if she was familiar with any pre DSOTM PF album?
    Not sure, although she seemed pretty knowledgeable on the subject. She had seen them several times live in the 70’s. She mentioned the “Animals” tour in particular, but other than that I don’t know. The brewery owner was too young to have ever seen them and he was a bit in awe of our conversation (I saw the Water-less version 3 times).

^What tours did you see them on? I had a ticket to see them in high school(would have been the AMLOR tour) but for some reason decided I didn't want to go by myself so I sold my ticket to a guy on my lacrosse team(I'm pretty sure I didn't even get full value for it). There's not many things in my life I regret as much as that.

^What tours did you see them on? I had a ticket to see them in high school(would have been the AMLOR tour) but for some reason decided I didn't want to go by myself so I sold my ticket to a guy on my lacrosse team(I'm pretty sure I didn't even get full value for it). There's not many things in my life I regret as much as that.
    I saw them twice on the MLOR tour and once on the Division Bell. Two of the 3 shows were in football stadiums, but the 2nd MLOR was in a smaller basketball arena and remains one of my all-time favorite concerts. It was just perfect from beginning to end. The sound, the visuals, the pig, were absolutely pristine.

At the local natural foods store.

nektar.jpg

- Public Restroom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    At the local natural foods store.

nektar.jpg
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Yep, they even got the spelling right. It would be funny if was falsely labeled as being from Germany, too.

- Public Restroom Wall

Italian composer Giovanni Venosta composed the music for the Italian film ' Bread & Tulips'. At one point he plays himself a musician in the film playing accordéon and being a big RIO fan he plays a composition by Lars Hollmer. Nice film btw

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Univers Zero: Dense at 9:25 (cover that is)

Interesting that someone should think of reviving this thread just now, as I had an experience this last weekend. A true one this time.

Market day at the harbour here in Oslo; Salvation Army putting on amateur soccer games' World Championship and everything, as well as informations special offer at the Akershus fortress donning dozens of booths with more or less scientifically entertaining showcase events for the kids, myself having brought along my 8-year old. On the way back from there, just along the docks, we passed an open mobile shop pushing clothes and dresses onto the arbitrary customer; and toting Camel's "Lady Fantasy" through the stereo! I was puzzled yet positively amazed at the hearing, so I simply told my son how this was something his dad used to dig big time, tapping to that freaky distorted organ solo flashing across the bay. Very strange, but somewhat also sad in a way. People don't know the song, and rock music in general is heading for oblivion.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The Voice Italy (the guy later performed live with Banco and New Trolls)

The Voice UK

Last edited by TheH; 10-02-2017 at 04:46 PM.

I walked into a sports bar last Wednesday night in Vancouver. Place was pretty empty apart from a family having a birthday party. There were two guys playing guitar on a tiny stage on the corner. They were ok but not great.

Anyway...the birthday party left leaving myself and one other couple. They then broke into Floyd's Wish You Were Here...seemed appropriate given the paucity of the audience.

I stayed with them for a while and had a few ciders..especially as the other couple left..

Geez that Giacomo Voli performance...
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The Voice UK

She was pretty good, but why was it so short? Also, was one of the judges Boy George, and why was her makeup so similar to his, with those white lines?
    Primary procreation is accomplished…