Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

When I moved back to Oslo (from Kristiansand on the south coast) in the summer of 2012, I seeked out a hair dresser who'd come highly recommended by my previous one. On my first session at her place, she played nothing but old Yes material. Overall very, very strange experience. She's originally from the US and retains a sort of refined personal approach to things (and she's damn hot as well!), yet this truly surprised me. Needless to say, I never tried another hair dresser after that - and when she shifted locations here in town I promptly followed track. I'm seeing her again next week, although her new staff doesn't seem to accept her playing Yes stuff.

She's got great breasts, btw.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^ That's her picture in your avatar, right?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I recently saw a TV commercial for a computer game for which the background music was by Manfred Mann's Chapter III (can't remember the song, though).
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ That's her picture in your avatar, right?
    No, that's my grandson Jerry straight after birth. He was very happy to come into this world.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No, that's my grandson Jerry straight after birth. He was very happy to come into this world.
    So, your newborn grandson had long hair and was in The Shining, playing an old woman. I'm impressed!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, your newborn grandson had long hair and was in The Shining, playing an old woman. I'm impressed!
    His mum loved breastfeeding him.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    When I moved back to Oslo (from Kristiansand on the south coast) in the summer of 2012, I seeked out a hair dresser who'd come highly recommended by my previous one. On my first session at her place, she played nothing but old Yes material. Overall very, very strange experience. She's originally from the US and retains a sort of refined personal approach to things (and she's damn hot as well!), yet this truly surprised me. Needless to say, I never tried another hair dresser after that - and when she shifted locations here in town I promptly followed track. I'm seeing her again next week, although her new staff doesn't seem to accept her playing Yes stuff.
    If it had been Sweeney Todd, the music would have been Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut".

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    If it had been Sweeney Todd, the music would have been Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut".
    Or AC/DC - If You Want Blood.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

In high school, I took my girlfriend at the time out to eat and they played "Witch's Promise" over the speakers.

Another time, during prom dinner, a local Italian place played all of "Moving Pictures" while we ate.

I'm in a sportsbar at this moment and I just heard America by Yes.

And now they're playing Miracles Out Of Nowhere. What the he'll is going on in this sportsbar?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    Years ago I was watching a cheesy shark attack movie on TV, and they used the drum part from Yes-Ritual during one of the attack scenes. I have no idea what the name of the movie is.
    I know it's not directly related but Trevor Rabin did the score to one of those shark movies in the late 90's I think.I'm sure guitar geek knows which one I'm talking about. It had a scene where Samuel Jackson was out of nowhere eaten by the shark.

There's a bar/brewing company in my general area that has something called "Floyd Fridays" where they play some PF music. I was there once. They only did about 30-45 minutes worth. I don't remember specifically what was played but it wasn't all just the most well known stuff.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 05-10-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I know it's not directly related but Trevor Rabin did the score to one of those shark movies in the late 90's I think.I'm sure guitar geek knows which one I'm talking about. It had a scene where Samuel Jackson was out of nowhere eaten by the shark.
    Another 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. It also had LL Cool J as a chef. Deep Blue Sea, I think it was called. Other than those two things, there was almost nothing memorable about that picture. As I recall, the music was stock "orchestral movie music" type stuff, nothing too impressive or interesting.

Seems like Rabin's name has been attached to a lot of crap movies. But then, I guess when the guy who helped you get your foot in the door of the film music world is Steven Seagal, I guess you're not gonna get to work with any worthwhile filmmakers.

Yeah, "deep blue sea" sounds about right. Oh come on. It wasn't THAT bad. If you saw the dvd version you at least got to see Trevor Rabin talk(no pun intended)about the music score he did.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 05-11-2014 at 10:56 PM.

A few days ago, I was at a parade, part of a local neighborhood festival. The first marching band to go by was playing "Carry on Wayward Son" (whether it's prog is a matter of opinion, but I digress). Must be a bit tricky to march to - I think it's mostly in 4/4, but there's parts with syncopations where "1" isn't entirely obvious, and the music could just as well be in 7/8 + 9/8 or even more complicated combnations.

Also, several years back, i was eating in a restaurant in Reno, and heard "South Side of the Sky" come over the Muzak feed - part of a "classic rock" channel, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Another 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. It also had LL Cool J as a chef. Deep Blue Sea, I think it was called. Other than those two things, there was almost nothing memorable about that picture. As I recall, the music was stock "orchestral movie music" type stuff, nothing too impressive or interesting.
    Well, apart from Saffron Burrows stripping down to her scanties.

I was having dinner in a very nice restauarant in Culebra, Puerto Rico and I was shocked to hear...."Thick as a Brick" playing softly in the background!

They had a guy playing a keyboard for the guests entertainment. As I listened, I thought he was treading on the line between just any music and prog. He played Come Sail Away by Styx, Tuesday Afternoon and Nights in White Satin from the Moodies
    I had a similar experience when I was married. The wife and I went to a fancy restaurant and there was a blind piano player entertaining the guests. My jaw dropped when he started playing "The Rain Song" by Led Zeppelin. I was impressed.

Internet jukebox? I love hijacking those and playing really weird stuff (like Faust).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

the musical intros and outros on coast to coast am with george nory always have some interesting selections

on my Pandora station, between Paul Mauriat & Alabama Thunderpussy

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Internet jukebox? I love hijacking those and playing really weird stuff (like Faust).
    You are a friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    A few days ago, I was at a parade, part of a local neighborhood festival. The first marching band to go by was playing "Carry on Wayward Son" (whether it's prog is a matter of opinion, but I digress). Must be a bit tricky to march to - I think it's mostly in 4/4, but there's parts with syncopations where "1" isn't entirely obvious, and the music could just as well be in 7/8 + 9/8 or even more complicated combnations.

Also, several years back, i was eating in a restaurant in Reno, and heard "South Side of the Sky" come over the Muzak feed - part of a "classic rock" channel, I guess.
    Sounds more like a deep rock channel possibly from satellite radio.

There have been times when I was in a grocery store(a store called GIANT which is a big chain in my area)where I have heard the following: ELP(can't remember the specific song), Focus-"Sylvia", Uriah Heep-"the wizard." Also, a few other things you would not expect to hear(ie stuff that has not been played to death).

I was in a drug store once and heard a David Gilmour song from his second solo album(not "murder" but a lesser known track).

One time outside of a book store a guy was playing King Crimson's "discipline" in his car. Kind of weird especially since the guy claimed to be the songwriter for the band(which he was most definitely not; he even got the guy's name wrong). Lol.

In 1982 I took a one month course in Russia. Other than classical music publically, if you snuck out to a bar you could hear The Beatles and Michael Jackson. Waiting at the airport to return home, a beep went off for the metal detector, then a beep of a cart moving backward, and then a beep before an announcement.

In my delirium, for a second I thought someone was going to be playing Imperial Zeppelin by Peter Hammill. How messed up could I have been to think that was even possible at the time?
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Perhaps not quite "prog", but last year, I saw the early 70's movie Walkabout, starring Jenny Agutter. I somehow recognized the occasional burst of electronic music that occurred in a couple places in the film as excerpts from Stockhausen's Hymnen!