Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    On last night's Colbert, Stephen was making light of a witness who answered "yes" to every question. He asked a series of follow-up questions, including: "Who's your favorite 70s prog rock band?" "Yes."
    I remember one time (although I might have initially read it on here or PA) where he did something similar but he answered by saying "well, I'm more of a Steely Dan fan myself"). I guess Stephen Colbert considers Steely Dan to be prog.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

We were eating lunch today at a local BBQ restaurant (in Maryland), the music playing was things like Journey, Pretenders , Van Halen, J. Geils, etc. but smack dab in the middle of those groups was KC-Starless! As soon as it started up, I recognized the song, and I said to my wife, hey they are playing Starless. She said 'no way', but it became clear that it really was Starless. Then she started flashing back to the District 97 show we saw with Wetton at the NJ Proghouse and how that might be her favorite live show of all time!

Cool story. For some weird reason it reminds me of when I saw Jon Anderson last year with his rock school band in NJ. The first set was classic rock tunes so not much out of the ordinary but then they started playing "three of a perfect pair" by King Crimson and I cheered but it seemed like I was the only one who recognized it. Apparently they also played Frank Zappa but I'm not a big Zappa fan so I didn't recognize that one (although I did suspect it was probably him).

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    We were eating lunch today at a local BBQ restaurant (in Maryland), the music playing was things like Journey, Pretenders , Van Halen, J. Geils, etc. but smack dab in the middle of those groups was KC-Starless! As soon as it started up, I recognized the song, and I said to my wife, hey they are playing Starless. She said 'no way', but it became clear that it really was Starless. Then she started flashing back to the District 97 show we saw with Wetton at the NJ Proghouse and how that might be her favorite live show of all time!
    A fine show indeed!!!

I was at the Waterloo square in Amsterdam, a famous market for (mostly) second hand clothes. While I walked past a market stall I heard a familiar voice: Richard Sinclair singing a wonderful tune. Turned out the stall-holder had a version of Caravan's tune In The Land Of Grey And Pink on. A few minutes later I was in a second hand show where they played Radiohead's Karma Police (nice coincidence: I was just reading a book on OK Computer that week).

I was just watching a bit of Battlebots and they showed a guy in the audience wearing a shirt with Crimson King faces all over it. This was an unusual shirt since it wasn't just one face but many faces on it (they only showed it for about a second though).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 08-10-2022 at 11:19 PM.

The eons are closing
    Love BattleBots

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Other day in the supermarket I heard Traffic's Freedom Rider.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973