Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Okay, maybe a bit of a stretch, I'm watching an episode of The X-files and a high school kid is wearing a Syd Barrett T-shirt. Maybe psych instead of prog, but still.
    The guy wearing the Cardiacs shirt on that show was better.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

A few days ago, my brother was in our local Whataburger and "Abacab" came on the radio while he was there.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    A few days ago, my brother was in our local Whataburger and "Abacab" came on the radio while he was there.
    It's prog in unlikely places, not pop in unlikely places
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

It's prog in unlikely places, not pop in unlikely places
    I was waiting for something like that.

It's an experimental song, and that's enough to qualify it in this thread for me. No less "prog" than other mentions I've seen in here.

Years ago we were in Applebee's, (where we normally never go) and 'The Lamb Lies Down' came on.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Years ago we were in Applebee's, (where we normally never go) and 'The Lamb Lies Down' came on.
    That's crazy... I don't think my brain could process that if it ever happened to me.

One time back when I was working in tech support, a customer put me on hold and their hold music was "Evidence of Autumn" by Genesis.

That's crazy... I don't think my brain could process that if it ever happened to me.

One time back when I was working in tech support, a customer put me on hold and their hold music was "Evidence of Autumn" by Genesis.
    He's probably referring to the song and not the whole Lamb album. That song is not that obscure. What would really get my attention is if they played "I know what I like" on the radio. Aside from maybe college or independent radio I've never heard it on the radio.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    He's probably referring to the song and not the whole Lamb album. That song is not that obscure. What would really get my attention is if they played "I know what I like" on the radio. Aside from maybe college or independent radio I've never heard it on the radio.
    Dude, I didn’t think he meant the whole album. It’s still not a song I’ve ever heard on the radio anywhere in the past 20 years.

Do I hear a snippet of 21st Century Schizoid Man in this commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Do I hear a snippet of 21st Century Schizoid Man in this commercial?

Indeed you do. The CGI stuff is pretty cool.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Local antique shop

works.jpg

- Public Restroom Wall

Local antique shop

works.jpg
    Works for me.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

What??!!

Okay, that blows away all the other selections I've ever heard, to my ears! Incredible. (happens to be probably my favorite 5 minute song ever written)

What??!!

Okay, that blows away all the other selections I've ever heard, to my ears! Incredible. (happens to be probably my favorite 5 minute song ever written)
    It pretty much made my day when it happened. Such a great song...

I don't know if they had their music-on-hold piped into satellite radio or something else, but that was the only time I've ever encountered something like that when being put on hold.

It pretty much made my day when it happened. Such a great song...

I don't know if they had their music-on-hold piped into satellite radio or something else, but that was the only time I've ever encountered something like that when being put on hold.
    I can't imagine any of the Satellite or Muzak stations ever playing 'Evidence of Autumn', but who knows. As a b-side, only available on box sets, it's not even on iTunes. Maybe a preprogrammed selection?

I can't imagine any of the Satellite or Muzak stations ever playing 'Evidence of Autumn', but who knows. As a b-side, only available on box sets, it's not even on iTunes. Maybe a preprogrammed selection?
    I've heard some pretty deep cuts on satellite radio. My wife heard Johnny Winter's "Fast Life Rider" the other day and I was absolutely shocked when she told me. That is one of the last tracks from his catalog that I would ever expect. And ANY JW track is a rarity to hear.

- Public Restroom Wall

Since we seem to be drifting into “unexpected deep cuts that aren’t necessarily prog” territory, there was this place (and it may have been the same thrift store where I heard Caravan’s “Love to Love You”) where I heard Kiki Dee’s “The Day Will Come Between Sunday and Monday”—a track off of her Motown album that pre-dates her association with Elton John—multiple times. I know it technically was a “hit,” but not a very big one, and I certainly have not heard it on the radio (mind you, I was in diapers in 1970).

There’s also the laundromat that played Boz Scaggs’ “What Can I Say.” Granted, that did hit the top 10...in the UK! I don’t think it even cracked the top 40 here! They played some other “deep cuts” but songs that were actual hits, just which seem to be forgotten by “classic rock” playlists (Carole King’s “Nightingale,” for example).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I've heard some pretty deep cuts on satellite radio. My wife heard Johnny Winter's "Fast Life Rider" the other day and I was absolutely shocked when she told me. That is one of the last tracks from his catalog that I would ever expect. And ANY JW track is a rarity to hear.
    I haven't been to Trader Joe's in a while but the local one seemed to be using a satellite service playing cuts by bands like Spirit and Savoy Brown.

I'm not sure this counts but I saw a guy at the Genesis concert wearing a Fish t shirt.

I ran into Fish tapping a beer at Shades Of Green, a pub near Irving Plaza in NYC. Since it was a pub and it was Fish,would it be considered "unlikely"?

Today in the local Goodwill Store: Yes Wonderous Stories. More off the beaten path withing the Yes catalog.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Today in the local Goodwill Store: Yes Wonderous Stories. More off the beaten path withing the Yes catalog.
    Well, if this was 1977 and right after GFTO was released then it probaly wouldn't be a big deal. However, that's one you really don't hear anymore and I personally don't think I've ever even heard it on classic rock radio. I would say it is one of their best shorter tracks though.

Don't know if this has been mentioned in these 12 pages....But Meet the Richardson's is a Brit mockumentary show featuring comedians Jon Richardson & his wife. The entire soundtrack is Jethro Tull!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_the_Richardsons

I found the episodes in YouTube.
    Last edited by Garyhead; 03-19-2022 at 09:17 AM. Reason: To satisfy JED
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wikipedia says it's a mockumentary, not a reality show. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…