Thread: FEATURED CD - Devin Townsend : Ziltoid the Omniscient

FEATURED CD - Devin Townsend : Ziltoid the Omniscient

And now for something completely different:

Per Metal Archives:
    The mad scientist of metal is at it again with this humorous and satirical delve into what can only be described as a form of comedic Space Operatic prog. Devin Townsend weaves a tale in 'Ziltoid The Omniscient' of a self-conceited alien being that seeks coffee to fulfill his time-travelling desires. In taking over earth (with his virtuosic guitar skills) a rebellion is formed, led by Ziltoid's nemesis, Captain Spectacular. While the plot is obviously not meant to be taken seriously, the music (at points) can be extremely beautiful and powerful.

The music is best described as a heavier version of the typical Devin Townsend band work, mixed with a dose of Devin's extreme metal band, Strapping Young Lad. There is some very heavy material on this record. 'Ziltoidia Attaxx!!!' is bone-shattering, to say the least, and Devin's screams have never sounded better in any of his work then on 'Ziltoid.'

The ironic thing about this album is despite its considerably high rating, it was recorded in Devin Townsend's living room! There's a real sign of talent when someone doesn't even have to leave the confines of their house to write something so entertaining. However, it is this fact in which the albums suffers the most. For the most part, the production quality is fine; while it doesn't match up to the Devin Townsend Band material in terms of sound quality, all things considered, it's very good. The thing that bothers me about this album though is the fact that all of the percussion is played by a drum machine, and not a living, breathing human being. While purely musically, things are fine and the compositions are great, the album would have just that much more power if it used real musicians. Drum machines should be left as a jam tool, not a band member.

One song that really seems to stand out is the laid-back 'Hyperdrive.' Despite it being consisting of a pretty simple guitar riff, and garbled vocals, it creates such an amazing atmosphere and feeling of loneliness, as if the listener really is travelling through the coldness of space.

While releases like 'Terria' and 'Ocean Machine' have more of an immortal quality about them, 'Ziltoid The Omniscient' is actually one of my most initially enjoyed albums, and demonstrates that you don't have to write serious music, to be serious about music.
    http://www.metal-archives.com/review...scient/150625/

Regards,

Duncan

Jon Neudorf
    Really need to revisit this one and dig into it a little deeper.

Regards,
    Jon

Ahhhh now we're talking'...intentional cheese at it's finest! Not to mention some fantastic music. DT is a phenomenal musician and can rarely do any wrong in my book. Can't wait for Ziltoid 2!

"FETID!"
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...intentional cheese...
    Regards,

Duncan

Intentional cheese, nice! Hes doing Z2 now. I have his drummer Ryan Van Poederooyen as a liked page on FB so i get his updates. He said he just recorded the albums drum parts in a day. And the next DTProjects drum parts the NEXT DAY! I'm gonna go ahead and say that's madness!!

I've never heard of this until now, but that is one of the funniest album covers ever. I'll have to give this a listen.

Suspended
    Too much growl for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Too much growl for my liking.
    If you want DT with less growl, I'd pick up Ki. About as low-key as DT gets.

I can't decide if I like this version of Hyperdrive, or the one Anneke Van Giersbergen sings on Addicted! Gotta say, DT and Anneke = match made in heaven.

Don't own Ziltoid, but I am very familiar with him having seen DT twice in the past couple of years. His live shows are quite fantastic worth the pittance investment. HOWEVER, if you don't like extreme vocals, good luck. His sets typical include them and I have yet to see him tour with another act that does not. I guess you could hope for "An Evening with....."
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

The Hyperdrive on the By A Thread box is my favourite version. Anneke adds a lot to it.

Ziltoid is a fantastic album with a rather silly story!

One of his best, musically and entertainingly.

Ho hum... Yet another concept record about a self-conceited alien being that seeks coffee to fulfill his time traveling desires. This concept has been done to death. Now if he kicked ass at pinball, for example, then we'd have a story!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Does anyone feel that to the fringe of Devin's listener-ship that this is an album that passed some people by? All my friends mention Terria and Synchestra along with some of the newer stuff but Ziltoid is never mentioned? Sorry if this a little off topic!!

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Does anyone feel that to the fringe of Devin's listener-ship that this is an album that passed some people by? All my friends mention Terria and Synchestra along with some of the newer stuff but Ziltoid is never mentioned? Sorry if this a little off topic!!
    Your friends are probably right - those are his signature albums, IMO.

But Ziltoid was just a fun piece, not meant to be taken too seriously, yet it still showcases his talents.

Think of it as Townsend's "Billy The Mountain"...
    Regards,

Duncan

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I love the idea of Ziltoid. I love the concept. It's great fun. The music I heard for 5 minutes or so was superb! The singing voice is excellent...when singing in the range of clean to, let's say, gruff, punctuated by a little emotive umph. However, I honestly couldn't listen past 5 minutes for the growls. Don't get me wrong here - it's my own ability, or lack thereof, to take this style in for enjoyment purposes. I'm 100% behind growling as an expression in song. I just can't tolerate it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    it's my own ability, or lack thereof, to take this style in for enjoyment purposes. I'm 100% behind growling as an expression in song. I just can't tolerate it myself.
    As a Pro-Growler, I can say this is one of the few enlightened statements about extreme vocals I've seen on this board. Thank you.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

But if there has EVER been an album where growly-voice fit, this has to be it. Well, this and Dethklok, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Your friends are probably right - those are his signature albums, IMO.

But Ziltoid was just a fun piece, not meant to be taken too seriously, yet it still showcases his talents.

Think of it as Townsend's "Billy The Mountain"...
    I think that's a fair comparison to be honest but it just feels like the album as a whole was ignored by them, not even a passing remark!!