Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hackett really milking the Genesis revisted!

Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    He may lose some loyal fans on the way too...
    Don't understand this at all.

His "loyal fans" would give up on him after his most successful album and tour in years?

That makes no sense. Especially considering the reports of him working on new music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Each to his own. I'd rather he stick to his own stuff than do this though. He may lose some loyal fans on the way too...
    Not sure why you would think he would lose loyal fans? I saw the GR show and loved it! I would go again if it comes back through my area. I have seen Steve on every solo tour that has come through my area over the last 20 years, any chance to see him perform is a no brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Don't understand this at all.

His "loyal fans" would give up on him after his most successful album and tour in years?

That makes no sense. Especially considering the reports of him working on new music.
    Completely agree with Scott on this one. The solo stuff has been amazing including the LP with Squire... and another one in the pipeline! So he follows up to the original Genesis Re-Visited with another one.. and its a hit with his... loyal fan base... sell out shows with demand for more? What is the problem, can't we all just enjoy this classic Genesis renaissance courtesy of one Stephen Richard Hackett!....... I think the loyal fans are firmly in tow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Completely agree with Scott on this one. The solo stuff has been amazing including the LP with Squire... and another one in the pipeline! So he follows up to the original Genesis Re-Visited with another one.. and its a hit with his... loyal fan base... sell out shows with demand for more? What is the problem, can't we all just enjoy this classic Genesis renaissance courtesy of one Stephen Richard Hackett!....... I think the loyal fans are firmly in tow!!!
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post

I don't think so...Seems like a lot more "loyal" fans are just Genesis fans. Why else would Steve be selling more gig tickets at bigger venues and getting his albums in the charts? When I last saw Steve he was in a much smaller venue.
    Anyway, you enjoy the Genesis renaissance. It's not for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Absolutely!
    Nope, not for me! Genesis fans are firmly in tow, with some Steve fans.

That's fine, but are you saying that you're no longer a fan, won't buy anymore albums of Steve's, won't attend shows, etc.?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Nope, not for me! Genesis fans are firmly in tow, with some Steve fans.
    Are the two mutually exclusive? Can't Genesis fans also be Steve Hackett fans? Surely I'm not the only one.

I don't think so...Seems like a lot more "loyal" fans are just Genesis fans. Why else would Steve be selling more gig tickets at bigger venues and getting his albums in the charts? When I last saw Steve he was in a much smaller venue.
    There's some crossover, but naturally there are more Genesis fans than just Hackett solo fans. But 35 years of solo albums and touring has amassed him a respectable fan base of his own.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Agreed.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

What a strange course this thread has taken. I must admit I am perplexed to see this much disapproval of what Steve is doing by revisiting songs he had a hand in writing. By that standard, I guess he's also "milking" his own solo material from 30+ years ago by playing it when he tours?

^^ Remember, these are likely the same people who would rejoice if Gabriel suddenly dusted off something like "Back in NYC" during his shows.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

yeselpkrimson
    What a strange course this thread has taken. I must admit I am perplexed to see this much disapproval of what Steve is doing by revisiting songs he had a hand in writing. By that standard, I guess he's also "milking" his own solo material from 30+ years ago by playing it when he tours?
    I am grateful he's not doing "GTR Revisited" I &/or II.

Come on, the majority of Genesis fans are sadly fans of the three man era and more specifically the Invisible Touch, I Can't Dance material. Steve Hackett fans are old Genesis fans period. They are one in the same! I'm sure the vast majority of his fans discovered him via old Genesis. His music was never radio friendly. The material is a big reason for larger crowds, far to neglected by the rest of the band and even Steve for many years. My brother for example saw the show in NYC and loved it, when Steve came through on the second leg he brought his 3 kids because he wanted to share this with them. Scenarios like this are more common than you would think and quite possibly account for a large portion of the bigger crowds....

Quote Originally Posted by yeselpkrimson View Post
    I am grateful he's not doing "GTR Revisited" I &/or II.
    Haha, nice!

That's fine, but are you saying that you're no longer a fan, won't buy anymore albums of Steve's, won't attend shows, etc.?
    No, I'm not saying that. My being a fan has been damaged though, so I may not buy any albums. It's unlikely I'll attend any shows, but that's more to do with them being difficult for me, as I tend to use public transport, and it's useless late at night.

No, not at all. It's just about the Genesis stuff. Too much Genesis, not enough Hackett!

I know what you mean. It seems to be about money more than music, and now there's another extensive tour. I've seen Genesis with Hackett and Gabriel, so I'll keep those memories. Glad I saw Hackett playing Hackett music too.
    Of course it's about money...Hackett's trying to make a living, guys, and touring Genesis material is clearly giving him a big boost, financially.

But the real question is this: is he giving it out and putting on a really good show or, as some groups have done, just phoning it in? After seeing the tour last year, there's no doubt in my mind that he is loving every minute of playing this music with a great bunch of musicians, and is giving the audience real value for their money, with long shows filled with well-known songs as well as a few surprises.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make money as long as the fans are not being ripped off. I've read few complaints/ criticisms of GR2 on the road, so I'd say Hackett is succeeding in making money by giving the fans a high quality performance, one to which the whole band gives 110% each and every night.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

No, not at all. It's just about the Genesis stuff. Too much Genesis, not enough Hackett!
    Sorry, can't agree. Despite all attempts to prove otherwise, post- Hackett Genesis proved just how valuable Hackett's contributions were to the music, each and every time they would play music from Hackett's tenure with the group. Rutherford was never more than an adequate guitarist and, while Darryl Stuermer is a fine player, he's more generic and doesn't have Hackett's personality in the playing, IMO. He played the notes, but he missed the point.

So, if Hackett's work with Genesis was so seminal,and if the rest of the band is not interested in playing this stuff, more power to him, I say. And there can't be too much Genesis and too little Hackett when Hackett is making clear how seminal his work with the band was by hitting the road to play the music.

Meanwhile, dead not. Last I heard he'd begun work on a new album that was not Genesis related, so everybody will be happy!

No, I'm not saying that. My being a fan has been damaged though, so I may not buy any albums.
    I simply don't understand this at all. If he creates new music that you like, what difference does it make?

Years from now, there will be threads on PE from folks wishing they had gone and experienced Steve Hackett when he played Live GR2 in their town.........like the folks who wished they attended Woodstock........or the Beatles......etc Go SEE the innovative musicians while you can.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I did the Musical Box, and it was fantastic the first time, but completely diminishing returns since then. I did see Hackett last year do the Revisited show, and while I enjoyed the performance of Nad and Lee....

I'm just really not that interested in hearing anyone play Genesis music anymore. Sure, its music that I loved, it was instrumental in forging my musical tastes, but ... I've moved on. Actually, there's a lot from the classic era that I just don't have an interest in listening to anymore.

I also was fortunate to see Genesis in the 70s, Hackett in the 80s. Maybe that has something to do with it as well...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I simply don't understand this at all. If he creates new music that you like, what difference does it make?
    How would I know though? If I lost interest and don't read updates etc. I only said "I may not buy any albums", didn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I did the Musical Box, and it was fantastic the first time, but completely diminishing returns since then. I did see Hackett last year do the Revisited show, and while I enjoyed the performance of Nad and Lee....

I'm just really not that interested in hearing anyone play Genesis music anymore. Sure, its music that I loved, it was instrumental in forging my musical tastes, but ... I've moved on. Actually, there's a lot from the classic era that I just don't have an interest in listening to anymore.

I also was fortunate to see Genesis in the 70s, Hackett in the 80s. Maybe that has something to do with it as well...
    Makes good sense to me!