Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hackett really milking the Genesis revisted!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Man, I wish this show would come to Texas.
    Austin here... and not many really good bands show up here. Sometimes they do - but San Antonio and Dallas usually get the action. I've never thought of Austin as any kind of music capital of the universe like some say. Trans Am is here this month - I saw The Claudia Quintet here once. Stick Men was great. Terry Bozzio will be here in Aug... that should be cool.

I wish Anthony Phillips would milk it, I always dreamed of getting to see him play live. Even if only on the 12-string.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Austin here... and not many really good bands show up here.
    Very true. We get a lot of the run of the mill college stuff. I can hear concerts at Stubb's from my front porch late into the night, close to 2am when their pushing up to the ordinance, and its always some Rap BS, or no talent indie shoe gazers. I'm way up in the 51st street area, too! Sadness. But hey - we can always overpay to get washed out in the overcrowding at ACL, right? All of the concerts I've attended the over the last 6 years, with the exception of Yes playing at Moody 3/13/2013 and a couple of Asia concerts at Paramount and One World, have been in Dallas/Ft Worth, San Antonio, or Houston.

---

I hope Hackett keeps milking it. I like the idea of an official Genesis member out there playing and honoring to the old material. The others seem to run from the old material yet Steve performs it with respect. I also think he is playing better than he ever has (similar to Wetton's voice - crazy!).

Bravo Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This is a really good show and awesome band. They might as well take it for another round (or two).
    +1 to that. If this came back to Atlanta I'd be on that like white on rice.

i wish he would milk it on the west coast. seems like he has had a hundred shows on hte east and not one in northern california.

Seriously? We're now criticizing musicians for playing music?

How about those construction workers, they sure are milking that whole thing where they ... construct things! And firemen, how long are they going to milk the whole "putting out fires" routine?!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

He may be milking this, true; but I think it would be because the demand is there, so why not go for it? Seems, from what and is posting on Facebook, that they're still playing to full or close to full houses every nights so clearly the demand is there, none of the other ex-Genesis folks will play this material so for those not old enough to have seen the group in the day, this is the closest they'll get to hearing this music played with at least one real member of the band (no disrespect to Musical Box; they're great, but they're a tribute band. Hackett is a legit player of most of music, other than possibly reviving The Knife, though he did play that live with them, too.

I see no reason why he shouldn't ride this gravy train out until he's done with it. Again, based on having an all access pass last year, this was a band clearly enjoying being with each other in the road, too; you can sense these things backstage, before and after shows, and it was clear that these guys really do enjoy each others' company.
    Well, Hackett is the only one touring and recording (OK, the Gabe is too, but on another totally different dimension, but then again, if Phil and Mike were to keep busy,they'd be in another dimension than Steve as well)... You're right, the man is playing to near sell-out capacity, but moreso for Genesis Revisited moniker than when he doesn't tour under the Genesis thing (smaller halls)

So yeah, there is a demand for Genesis stuff, but I sometimes feel that Hackett's shows are little more than a cover band with one original member... (BTW, the word "milking" is from the thread title, but I've felt this way since talks of the Revisited 2 rumours started.)

It's his right (or else the others would dispute it), but I don't think it'll help out for a full classic line-up reunion with Steve in the fold.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's basic supply & demand. If the product is good (and boy, is it good), and he has contributed greatly to the writing (or playing in the case of Trespass) of this material, then why not! Who else is taking it to the people that want to see/hear it? It's not Mike, Tony or Phil, and it's certainly not Peter. Steve is genuinely proud of this music and loves to play it - not something you could say was apparent in the others, except maybe Tony.

I think the success of the album and tours has taken him, and everyone else from Genesis, by surprise, and if anything, it maybe makes a reunion more likely by proving that the demand for the classic lineup is there, and all 5 of them would be filling big venues if 1 of them can sell out good sized theatres, which in Pete's days was exactly where they were anyway.

Having said that, he is also hard at work on his next solo album in between all this, so he's staying true to himself and his loyal fans.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    How about those construction workers, they sure are milking that whole thing where they ... construct things! And firemen, how long are they going to milk the whole "putting out fires" routine?!
    Your forgot Jazz musicians. Do we really need one more rendition of "Autumn Leaves"?

Finally took the time yesterday to listen to one of his shows from 2013.. IMHO he can milk it all he wants... Very impressive band and the set list was incredible.. I notice nobody has given him any grief for his choice of vocalist... This guy was / is tremendous.. can't say enough good stuff about this project.. Might even part with some $'s and buy the DVD of this tour..

Can't believe no one has mentioned how, of all people, Ray Wilson has/is "milking" his time in Genesis...

(Oh there we go!)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Can't believe no one has mentioned how, of all people, Ray Wilson has/is "milking" his time in Genesis...

(Oh there we go!)
    Who??

Never heard f him...is that Steven's big brother?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think the title of this thread is misleading, as the OP sounds interested in Hackett's tour and didn't mention the 'milking' within his post. From the replies, there seems to be many who would enjoy seeing this show in their town.

Aye, here's another in Austin, TX USA who would like to see Steve come to town with this show.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I think the title of this thread is misleading, as the OP sounds interested in Hackett's tour and didn't mention the 'milking' within his post. From the replies, there seems to be many who would enjoy seeing this show in their town.
    Not knocking Hackett at all, good for him of course. It is great show that in fact warrants seeing again and again. As long as the setlist changes he can continue doing this as long as he cares to. My idea of him doing complete albums would sell well. Would of course love him to play some solo tours (financially not going to make more $) again or have other G-men join in the fun (financially would make much more $$$).
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Very true. We get a lot of the run of the mill college stuff. I can hear concerts at Stubb's from my front porch late into the night, close to 2am when their pushing up to the ordinance, and its always some Rap BS, or no talent indie shoe gazers. I'm way up in the 51st street area, too! Sadness. But hey - we can always overpay to get washed out in the overcrowding at ACL, right? All of the concerts I've attended the over the last 6 years, with the exception of Yes playing at Moody 3/13/2013 and a couple of Asia concerts at Paramount and One World, have been in Dallas/Ft Worth, San Antonio, or Houston.

---

I hope Hackett keeps milking it. I like the idea of an official Genesis member out there playing and honoring to the old material. The others seem to run from the old material yet Steve performs it with respect. I also think he is playing better than he ever has (similar to Wetton's voice - crazy!).

Bravo Steve.
    Best show I've seen here were the first two shows of the RTF tour in '08 - at The Paramount. ACL and all that is just too expensive and full of mutants. lol Zappa Plays Zappa is always a nice show - The Grandmothers at Stubbs indoors was cool the two times they came to town too.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Hackett really milking the Genesis revisted!

yeah, as much as I respect Hackett, I do think he's overdoing it with the milking of Genesis (none of the other ex-members are doing it)...

It seems like he's got a huge chip on his shoulder from his leaving the band.....
    I have thought this for some time. I have no problem with him performing Genesis material, since he's a former member, especially since Genesis themselves are no longer touring. I am however getting tired of his studio "Genesis revisited" releases. Most of the original recordings were close to perfect in the first place, and while I haven't heard his reworkings so i can't judge them, it seems he is trying to prove some kind of point.
    When an artist forms the habit of releasing reworkings of their own or someone else's material, I tend to write them off as a creative musical force, and just think of them as an entertainer. Yes, Phil, I'm looking at you.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    I wish Anthony Phillips would milk it, I always dreamed of getting to see him play live. Even if only on the 12-string.
    Unlikely, I should think. Didn't he basically leave Genesis due to being unable to handle touring because of stage fright?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I have thought this for some time. I have no problem with him performing Genesis material, since he's a former member, especially since Genesis themselves are no longer touring. I am however getting tired of his studio "Genesis revisited" releases. Most of the original recordings were close to perfect in the first place, and while I haven't heard his reworkings so i can't judge them, it seems he is trying to prove some kind of point.
    When an artist forms the habit of releasing reworkings of their own or someone else's material, I tend to write them off as a creative musical force, and just think of them as an entertainer. Yes, Phil, I'm looking at you.
    Here's the thing...Genesis Revisited 2 was very close to the originals, only with various different singers. It is what it is...to me, once he took it on the road it made more sense.

Genesis Revisited 1 though...that was a whole other creature. He took some of those songs and totally reinvented them. I mean, Los Endos as a street carnival piece? The ending on that tune is epic. The tinkering with Watcher, Volcano, and Firth were all interesting tweaks. I loved his "finishing" on Deja Vu and the instrumental Valley. It was definitely the spirit of Genesis, but passed through his wonderfully-quirky sensibility at a time when he was apparently less concerned with reverence. And I absolutely love that album to bits.

The man has been exceptionally prolific of late, and it's great to see him enjoying any degree of success at this point. Whatever his reasons for continuing the GR, I'm happy for him and he can pretty much do whatever he wishes. I'll still be game for a ticket whenever he pops through town with whatever show he's doing.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Here's the thing...Genesis Revisited 2 was very close to the originals, only with various different singers. It is what it is...to me, once he took it on the road it made more sense.

Genesis Revisited 1 though...that was a whole other creature. He took some of those songs and totally reinvented them.

I must admit that I hadn't really appreciated GR1 (heard it at friend's house, but never owned it), because sometimes it sounded fucked up, but at§ least, there was a purpose to it, whether I liked uit or not...

It's when I heard at friend's p^laces the GR2, I wondered WTF was the point, really... I mean just the singers made a difference in most cases.

I do agree it makes more sense live, but I haven't yearned for it at all... I must say that seeing TMB doing all the Genesis tours seems to have definitely quenched my thirst for seeing Gen on stage ever again... (yes, even with the Gabe rejoining >> too much of a large crowd for me to venture in)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I must admit that I hadn't really appreciated GR1 (heard it at friend's house, but never owned it), because sometimes it sounded fucked up, but at§ least, there was a purpose to it, whether I liked uit or not...

It's when I heard at friend's p^laces the GR2, I wondered WTF was the point, really... I mean just the singers made a difference in most cases.

I do agree it makes more sense live, but I haven't yearned for it at all... I must say that seeing TMB doing all the Genesis tours seems to have definitely quenched my thirst for seeing Gen on stage ever again... (yes, even with the Gabe rejoining >> too much of a large crowd for me to venture in)
    Well GR2 was close, but it wasn't that close to the originals. There are enough differences (beyond just the singers) that offer the songs up with a different spin. Blood On the Rooftops, for example, uses a saxophone rather than a synth and it creates a completely different mood for the song. The arrangements are truer to the original source material (whereas GR1 was mostly radical rearrangements), but the instrumentation and the sound is different -- and in many instances the recording quality is much higher and you can actually hear a lot more going on. It's a different listening experience, which I'd argue is exactly the point.

I see nothing wrong with an artist wanting to revisit their past work as they get on in years. It surprises me to see some of the negativity directed at the one Genesis member who actually seems to care the most about the band's classic prog period and keeping it alive. How could seeing TMB (a tribute band) perform Genesis' material be realistically compared to seeing Steve Hackett who actually had a hand in writing those songs (and who has a band with a broader range of instruments)? Those are two completely different things.

To each his own. This just confounds me I guess.

And just for a point of reference, I have seen Hackett on this tour and it was pretty great. When they opened with Dance On a Volcano and those taurus bass pedals kicked in, it was pretty incredible. I strongly recommend anyone who has a chance to go and see him and his band on this tour while they're still doing it.

I thought Pink Floyd was milking if with Atom Heart Mother.

Moo I mean boo.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Hmmm....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Phil Collins milked Genesis.

GRII the album was no more than a nostalgia project- though an enjoyable one, with guests from different styles of music- and basically an extended trailer for the tour. The tour was the main thing and has proven successful beyond what anybody expected, I think.