Thread: Rick Wakeman's Six Wives vs. Yessongs excerpts..

Rick Wakeman's Six Wives vs. Yessongs excerpts..

Just listening to Six Wives this afternoon... been a while since I spun the whole album... gotta say I tend to prefer the excerpts from Yessongs vs. the album.. anyone else feel this way?

I haven't listened to the album in forever but... yeah, possibly.

Love the album - still my favourite by RW. I like the short extract on Yessongs, but wouldn't say I prefer it to the original - too much good stuff's left out!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I haven't listened to the album in many a moon either, but I did watch the Journey To The Center Of The Earth DVD, the thing that was shot in Australia, just a couple weeks ago. At least in comparison to the Henrys that were performed there, I would tend to prefer the Yessongs track. I actually kinda like what he accomplished with just his keyboard rig, using 1972 technology...no sequencers, no tapes (well, there are the ones in the Mellotrons, but you know what I mean), just a guy with two hands and a big bank of keyboards. And I think the Handel thing he sneaks into. I also like the Jingle Bells bit in the video version.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Just listening to Six Wives this afternoon... been a while since I spun the whole album... gotta say I tend to prefer the excerpts from Yessongs vs. the album.. anyone else feel this way?
    They're highlights, so they likely would have a different type of appeal. Just like a movie trailer tends to be better than most movies.

I prefer hearing them in their proper context. But, I can see how someone who might have heard the Yessongs piece a lot before hearing the complete album might feel that way.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They're highlights, so they likely would have a different type of appeal. Just like a movie trailer tends to be better than most movies.

I prefer hearing them in their proper context. But, I can see how someone who might have heard the Yessongs piece a lot before hearing the complete album might feel that way.
    Exactly. I prefer the album, his best IMO (unfortunately).

Have any of you seen the Six Wives of Henry VIII at Hampton Court Palace video? It's fantastic. There are a few extra tracks on this.

I used to play the Yessongs piece with my band back in the day (college fun) as a solo piece, so I really learned it and liked it a lot. Great showpiece for the prog fans at the time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Count me in...
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Count me in...
    Good didn't think it was just me... the album is good but he condenses things and makes a really powerful statement with the excerpts..

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Love the album - still my favourite by RW. I like the short extract on Yessongs, but wouldn't say I prefer it to the original - too much good stuff's left out!
    ^^^^Absolutely!!!

I like the excerpts on Yessongs, but...no. The studio album is far better, if only for Catherine of Aragon, Anne of Cleves (White never rocked harder!), Anne Boleyn and Jane Seymour...

No. The album is amazing and it's sad that nothing else he's done even comes close.

IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    No. The album is amazing and it's sad that nothing else he's done even comes close.

IMO.
    Criminal Record..

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Criminal Record..
    It's really funny because earlier I was going to post the same thing. Still not quite there though.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's really funny because earlier I was going to post the same thing. Still not quite there though.
    Yeah, but pretty close. Criminal Record has some less serious moments where the fromage factor creeps in which docks it a star, but the better compositions are really good, the playing razor sharp and the Squire/White rhythm section are really tight.
    I remember deciding between Criminal Record and the newly released Rock n Roll Prophet import at the mall Record World. I chose unwisely. After that mistake, Criminal Record sounded even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Have any of you seen the Six Wives of Henry VIII at Hampton Court Palace video? It's fantastic. There are a few extra tracks on this.
    Henry had more wives?!?

'Tis worth noting, for those unaware, that the Yessongs "excerpts from Six Wives..." also includes excerpts from Rick's solo piano piece "Temperment of Mind", which was his featured solo spot in concert with the Strawbs, prior to joing Yes. "Temperment of Mind" can be heard on the Strawbs early live album "Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios".

I believe an alternate version of Temperment of Mind can also be heard on Strawbs' "Recollection" album.

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    Henry had more wives?!?
    Rick has an idea for a sequel called The Mistresses of Henry VIII which would be a 20-CD box set.

Actually, the extra tracks on the live 6 Wives concert include "Defender Of The Faith" (written for the original album but left off), "Tudorture 1485", "Tudorock", "Henry's Fanfare", and "Jane's Prelude".

Also, on either of those Strawbs albums, prepare to be knocked out by Rick's extended organ solo on "Where is this dream of your youth".
    It's a bit primitive (especially with the fuzz box effects as the solo picks up steam), but you can tell it rocked the house.

The Enemy God
    Agree surely Anne of Cleves is Alan White's Tour De Force. Love that really dry snare sound . Touch of Bruford about it ironically

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    Agree surely Anne of Cleves is Alan White's Tour De Force. Love that really dry snare sound . Touch of Bruford about it ironically
    I never tire of it. Heard it a million times and I still play air drums to it. Use it as a workout song.

I like both. I actually first heard the album back in 2007 or so. First heard the Yessongs version back in the 90's (played that whole album to death for years). I think both have their charms and both are well worth having in any prog rock music collection.