Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Yes in Glasgow

I have nothing to say about any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That horse not only died, it decomposed, and has been reincarnated awaiting the next Yes thread.

It definitely sounds like the tempos are better, my only criticism is that they have Jon (same thing when BD was with them) singing what were some of Chris's harmony lines on Roundabout, SK, and YIND. I understand why, but it just doesn't sound right.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That horse not only died, it decomposed, and has been reincarnated awaiting the next Yes thread.
    You must mean my "Yes really milking the Yes revisited" thread.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Venue: Royal Albert Hall, London
    Date of Gig: Thursday 8th May '14

Three albums in their entirety? That sounds like ambrosia for Yes gluttons.Or food for thought. Firstly, it means the band have to serve up some songs that wouldn’t usually make it onto the set menu – possibly for good reasons. And if you’re a Yes fan who likes only one or two of those three but isn’t keen on the other(s) – which, with a sizeable catalogue, is entirely possible – you’ve got to chow down on a helping of something that doesn’t tickle your taste buds. But it does give the band a chance to play something different, and fans the chance to hear some songs they’ve never experienced live before.

Having said that, wouldn’t most fans prefer to gorge on the very best songs an artist has to offer, regardless of which album they’re on?Seems not. The venue (and presumably the rest of the tour) was sold out, and the audience lapped up every minute of it.

With singer Jon Davison now fronting the band, Jon Anderson isn’t really missed.Having Anderson in the band would have doubled the number of original members in the line-up, and would doubtless have made a big difference to a lot of fans, some of who think that having only one original member (Chris Squire) is sailing a little close to the ‘Is it really Yes now?’ wind. The American’s singing voice bears a striking resemblance to Anderson’s (whether naturally or practised). Davison has, unnecessarily, also adopted Anderson-like mannerisms on stage, which at times looks a little awkward and, well, naff. (Sammy Hagar didn’t do star jumps from the drum riser when he joined Van Halen; Paul Rodgers didn’t wear a leotard and flounce around the stage when he sang with Queen.)

The 20-minute intermission is a good idea.If the queues for the toilets at the intermission are anything to go by, it’s a very good idea indeed. And whoever rakes in the takings from the bar won’t be complaining. However, it does interrupt the flow and whatever momentum the band had built up.

Can the Yes guys still, you know, play these days?Certainly can. In terms of musicianship these guys were always undeniably top-drawer, and they’ve lost little, if any, of their virtuosity. Steve Howe’s guitar playing in particular is still impressive, one-of-a-kind stuff.

Was there a difference in how well the three albums each went down?It would be difficult to choose a clear winner by judging just from the applause, but The Yes Album probably shaded it. Maybe that was partly due to it being the closer, the finale. But it’s arguably the best album of the three anyway, more song-based rather than, as with Close To The Edge, full of lots of little bits of noodling and big bits of ‘atmosphere’.

Yes are playing to the converted these days, but not gaining new fans.Certainly seems that way. The vast majority of those in the Albert Hall appear to be close to the age of the veteran Yes men, and knew all three albums note for note and beat for beat. And when back projections of just the album sleeves – before the band had even walked on stage – received a standing ovation, Yes knew they weren’t going to have win over an audience that was already eating out of their hands… and probably more than willing to sit, fetch and roll over too.

Whatever any reviewer might say, the vast majority of the audience thoroughly enjoyed the show and left the building as happy as Larry on a particularly upbeat day. No doubt about that whatsoever. If enjoyment could be measured on the Richter scale, then a seismometer (An… er, some sort of gizmo – Science Ed.) in the Albert Hall would have registered something similar to when that Big Bang thing happened some while back.

FINAL VERDICT: 7/10

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Looks like we'll be getting a DVD from this tour. My initial gut reaction is "another one?", but considering the strength of these shows and how long its been since a decent Yes live document was released perhaps the timing is good after all.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I never have a problem with artists releasing live albums. No one is forcing anyone to buy them.

How often have we wished for a document from a tour from the past?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Looks like we'll be getting a DVD from this tour. My initial gut reaction is "another one?", but considering the strength of these shows and how long its been since a decent Yes live document was released perhaps the timing is good after all.
    Auto buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I never have a problem with artists releasing live albums. No one is forcing anyone to buy them.

How often have we wished for a document from a tour from the past?
    I gave up wishing years ago and started bringing my camera. I catch a few songs for a souvenir, and I'm happy.

http://s987.photobucket.com/user/tom...32473.mp4.html

how long its been since a decent Yes live document was released perhaps the timing is good after all.
    3 years- Yes In The Present: Live in Lyons. Benoit David live document, not bad.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    3 years- Yes In The Present: Live in Lyons. Benoit David live document, not bad.
    Yeah, though that was done sort of as a mix of interviews plus live footage. I think only 1 or 2 songs were presented in their entirety. It would be nice to get more of a complete show here.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Yeah, though that was done sort of as a mix of interviews plus live footage. I think only 1 or 2 songs were presented in their entirety. It would be nice to get more of a complete show here.
    The In the Present CD is a complete show, although it's not seen, as you suggest, an equivalent DVD release.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/