Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best recorded metal?

Blow your doors off and not your typical Preist, Sabbath ect?
    give this a shot

Okay, so I know Peter G will have a conniption over this, because it's not metal. But, one of the best-sounding releases I've heard in years is Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush's "Real Live" album, which could still blow the doors off.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Actually one of the best sounding heavy'ish albums I know is Led Zeppelin II (LP version american pressing).
    Lots of dynamics !

if you're looking for as loud and as great sound sounding as you can get...

A bit 'old-school', but as someone mentioned above, Slayer - Reign in Blood, Also Trouble's 1990 self titled record. Both of those will crank as much as your stereos got and not distort.

both are on Def Jam and produced by Rick Rubin...I'll add Danzig's first album to that list too.

I'd try the first couple of Venom albums.

Something like this?

Not sure it's metal.

Alas I can't find his latest work Schattenspiel.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Actually one of the best sounding heavy'ish albums I know is Led Zeppelin II (LP version american pressing).
    Lots of dynamics !
    I always preferred the production of the debut. Seems fuller to me and prior to Page's obsession with midrange.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I always preferred the production of the debut. Seems fuller to me and prior to Page's obsession with midrange.
    Although it sounds dated now, that drum sound from the first album was phenomenal for its time --- from what I understand it was done with two Sennheiser overheads but you guys feel free to correct me on that........ doesn't matter really, because the "tones" captured on that album are more from Bonham's finesse/touch/approach as well as fresh drum heads

And some scary-ass clowns as a bonus:

Accept "Blood Of The Nations" from 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Accept "Blood Of The Nations" from 2010
    Very nice recording... but why do they sound like Spinal Tap?

why do they sound like Spinal Tap?
    Dude, really?

Well, I've got another one you'd prolly like too:

Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud

This release covers a lot of musical ground - but when it gets heavy, it's really on.

I recommend Fantomas: Delìrium Còrdia
    Buckethead: Bucketheadland 2
    Metallica: St. Anger (very unpopular album, but I love it)
    Bongripper: http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/
    Wo Fat: any

I'd like to go way back in time, but why not get yourself a copy of the MC5's first record, which was recorded live at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit? There is a reason that they first recorded on Total Energy Music! It's an astonishing record, and played loud- which is the only way it should ever be played- you will get only a sense of what they were like in person.

This is the disc:

But on a top-notch stereo system, it's mind boggling.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by schlongasaurus View Post
    Slayer- Reign in Blood
    ^^^
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Which is precisely why I wrote:

If you're looking for just one song:

after listing some albums.

then I will fix my recommendation...

"Alienated-so alien I go!"

Okay, so I know Peter G will have a conniption over this, because it's not metal. But, one of the best-sounding releases I've heard in years is Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush's "Real Live" album, which could still blow the doors off.
    Cheeky monkey

I've listened to some Marino and MH over the years, but I've never really been able to get a handle on what it is I'm listening to. A kind of a bluesy funky hard rock rock perhaps. What do they consider themselves as? And what would you call them?

I always considered them sort of heavy psych tinged blues-rock. I think Frank considers himself to be the evolution of what Hendrix was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I always considered them sort of heavy psych tinged blues-rock. I think Frank considers himself to be the evolution of what Hendrix was doing.

Yeah, that sounds about right, from the few tracks I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    While the concept is plausible, I would bet that he would not make any Hendrix comparison. Yes, there are similarities. And, he certainly has a deep influence and has covered Hendrix. But, there was a bogus story many years ago that he claimed the be Hendrix reincarnated. It's totally false and he still has to deal with it.

I also think the blues label is too narrow though, as he plays a lot of jazz-based music. He's quite eclectic.

I will state that I think he's one of the best, if not THE best, guitar player out there. Sadly, he hasn't toured in years. I wish he would. I thought I read something here about health problems, but hope it's not true.

That's good to know that whole Hendrix claim didn't come from Frank- I didn't know anyone had ever claimed he said it himself but I knew it was something that clung to him. He's certainly got some Jimi influence but there's much more to him. The guy is a monster, for sure. maybe not quite in a Shawn Lane league but for sure better than that Bonamassa doofus

Cynic - Traced in Air

Opeth - Heritage

Wolverine - Communication Lost

Tesseract - Altered State

Spiral Architect - Skeptics Universe
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Spiral Architect - Skeptics Universe
    Oh, hell yes. Very clinical and digital-sounding, but extremely well-done for what it is.

Nothing sounds like this album. It has ruined all other technical metal for me forever.

NP: Joni Mitchell Hejira

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Oh, hell yes. Very clinical and digital-sounding, but extremely well-done for what it is.

Nothing sounds like this album. It has ruined all other technical metal for me forever.
    One of the comments below the clip has this to say. I find myself agreeing.
    Great musicians that can't write music...