Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burt Bacharach - Anyone Who Had a Heart (autobiography)

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    "Lost Horizon" is the name of the movie I was trying to recall earlier.

I think Burt got very engrossed in writing the score for that, and Hal David and Dionne Warwick got pissed off and went their separate ways, deciding he had lost interest in the musical partnership.
    Burt worked hard on that soundtrack for two years, and when the movie bombed, he basically hung it up for awhile.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I was wondering why he seemed to have no big hits for most of the 70s. He had 'Raindrops...', 'Close To You'*, both about as big as can be,...and then not much for the rest of that decade. I find it hard to see what Bacharach could have brought to the disco era, though- his songs are all about melody.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-17-2015 at 03:11 AM.

I love to see someone get up at karaoke and attempt “Anyone Who Had a Heart” or “Promises Promises,” only to realize they’re way out of their depth. People always (with some exceptions, ask me about that horror story some time) think that high notes are the only thing they need to worry about, and completely forget about rhythm. Those tunes are basically freaking Bartók pieces with catchy pop melodies!

My most-loved version of “A House Is Not a Home.” R.I.P., Dusty, you’re much-missed:

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I was wondering why he seemed to have no big hits for most of the 70s. He had 'Raindrops...', 'Close To You'*, both about as big as can be,...and then not much for the rest of that decade.
    I think he was burned out. He worked his ass off on the soundtrack to the musical version of Lost Horizon and the songs were all terrible! The Fifth Dimension had a minor hit with the cringeworthy “Living Together, Growing Together” but the only other “hit” the soundtrack produced (albeit a very minor one) was the title song, written and sung by Shawn Phillips.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    I'm afraid "Living Together, Growing Together" has been forever ruined for me by seeing it used in so many ads for home builders, home furnishings, health insurance, vitamin supplements, and the like.

Anybody remember this:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Jesus guys, I'm about ready to start a thread on this board about the old sitcom "Julia!" It's about as prog related as this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Jesus guys, I'm about ready to start a thread on this board about the old sitcom "Julia!" It's about as prog related as this thread.
    You're out of your mind.
    Last edited by nosebone; 05-04-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wanted to start one, but as a relative newcomer i was worried it had already been done many times before. It would be like going on a prog forum and saying "Hey, have you heard of this band called Genesis?"

I too LOVE the 1997 album PAINTED FROM MEMORY that he made with Elvis Costello. Just freakin' amazing!

I remember an interview Hal did shortly before his death when he mentioned some songs he and Burt wrote that "nobody ever heard". One of them was "Underneath the overpass" which I used to have on a 45.

I always wanted to bang Carole Bayer Sager

Another soundtrack of his that I think is outstanding is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Incredibly beautiful melodies throughout.