Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you like an artist whose influences you don't like?

Can you like an artist whose influences you don't like?

Tough call. I mean, if I hate the bands that influenced a certain band, I'm probably not going to like them either, just because of their sound. Still, if the songwriting was exceptional, I suppose I could like them anyway. I guess the new band would have to be a lot better than their influences, but if they're that good, why would they bother taking inspiration from mediocre predecessors? What do you think?

I usually like a band for their own output and not because of who their influences were or are. I like a lot of bands that were influenced by The Beatles, but I don't think The Beatles were all that great. I don't mind The Beatles, but I prefer so many more bands over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    but I don't think The Beatles were all that great. I don't mind The Beatles, but I prefer so many more bands over them.
    My view exactly.
    But contrary to yourself liking bands influenced by The Beatles I've never liked Oasis, partly because I've never really liked The Beatles that much, yea they had a couple of good albums later on , but I've never understood all the hype. And there are hundreds of bands I'd rather listen to than The Beatles.

I like a some bands who were into the 70s punk scene. Punk has never grabbed me.

Suspended
    I hear over and over again how much Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson have been influenced by King Crimson.I am by no means a King Crimson expert, but I have heard the occasional KC track from Internet radio, and i have yet to hear anything from the band that made me want to hear more.

I came to the conclusion that Steven Wilson is very good at absorbing influence from another artist and modifying it into something that's actually good to listen to.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    NIN seems to have been an influence on a lot of artists that I like since the mid-90s. KC, PT and David Torn are the ones that immediately come to mind. The most NIN-influenced KC album, TCOL, I'd say would definitely be among my least favorite KC albums.

I can... so long as they wear matching socks!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I hear you Bob! I hear no KC influences at all in PT's music, a lot of PF influence though.

sure I can.

I don't care what a band or individual persons influences are as long as their music is worth listening to. Plus, not all influences are evident in the final production. So, yes, not a problem.
    Last edited by Superfly; 05-03-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I hear you Bob! I hear no KC influences at all in PT's music, a lot of PF influence though.
    I'd say the Floyd influence had more or less totally disappeared by Stupid Dream...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd say the Floyd influence had more or less totally disappeared by Stupid Dream...
    No, it's still there, but not much, and Stupid Dream is the last PT album that I like. Everything after that, which I've heard, just leaves me cold.

I love The Beatles, but I can't say I care much for the rock 'n' roll that influenced them.
    And I suppose a lot of artists, I like are influenced by jazz-music I don't like.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I love The Beatles, but I can't say I care much for the rock 'n' roll that influenced them..
    Well, I don't like a lot of the 1950s rock 'n' roll, but i do like the Everly Brothers, who were definitely a big influence on the Fabs. If you doubt this, listen to "Love Me Do", then listen to the Everlys' "Til I Kissed Ya".

Paul mcCartney repaid the debt many years later when he wrote "On the Wings of a Nightingale" for the Everlys.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Eldorado is one of my all time favourite albums and ELO was hugely influenced by the Beatles. This is like an existential question as there is nothing in life that is truly original (okay, maybe nihilism).

Love Suzanne Vega, hate Lou Reed, her idol.

I'm currently liking an entire genre (stoner rock) in which many of the bands are basing their sound upon early Black Sabbath... yet I never liked Black Sabbath.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

It took me a while to come around to the blues greats who inspired the 60s blues rock that I dug.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I can... so long as they wear matching socks!
    Especially if all three socks match.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Especially if all three socks match.

That's an awesome picture of progeezer!
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

I'm not much of a Tom Waits fan, yet I love Bruce Peninsula whose singer sounds a fair amount like Tom Waits.

A lot of bands say they are influenced by certain bands, but if I cant hear it, and I don't like the influencer, then it doesn't bother me, like with Black Bonzo and Uriah Heep.

Liking an artist whose influences I didn't like would make me re-evaluate my judgment on the influences.

Because chances would seem high that my previous conclusions were flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Love Suzanne Vega, hate Lou Reed, her idol.
    Didn't know Vega idolised LR

Not that familiar with SV's body of works, but I don't hear much inspirations.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.