Thread: LUZ DE RIADA Plays ProgDay 2014!

LUZ DE RIADA Plays ProgDay 2014!

LUZ DE RIADA Plays ProgDay 2014!

LUZ DE RIADA is a Mexican quartet that combines progressive rock, jazz, folk and experimental music. Formed in Mexico City in 2010, the band is made up of experienced musicians with long careers that have been part of different, outstanding Mexican bands and projects including CABEZAS DE CERA (who gave a memorable performance at ProgDay's 10th anniversary in 2004), SAENA, ENRIQUE NERY and JOSÉ LUIS FERNÁNDEZ LEDEZMA.

With influences that range from KING CRIMSON to ZAPPA, the music explores the dialogue between predetermined and spontaneous music. In 2011 the band released the first part of its trilogy, Cuentos y Fábulas (Tales And Fables), which juxtaposes composed and improvised material. Parts II and III will be released over the summer.

LUZ DE RIADA (Mexico) joins KOTEBEL (Spain) at ProgDay 2014, the 20th Anniversary of the longest running progressive rock festival in the world. ProgDay 2014 will take place on Saturday, August 30th, and Sunday, August 31st, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, and to hear music from this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
    www.michaelbennett.com

Fantastic news!
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Very sweet pick. Thanks for sharing the news.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice

Now lets get a few more announced please
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If they are anything like Cabezas De Cera it will be fantastic. One of the Great Sunday Morning Performances of PD history

Nice pick!

Their one album is very fine.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    "Parts II and III will be released over the summer"

While this is great news for Progday, this part is the most significant part to me.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Ok, checked out samples, with these guys and Kotebel at ProgDay I'm going.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Wow. Ian is right, very cool samples from this band. 2 for 2. I should finally go to my first ProgDay!

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 05-03-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Wow. Ian is right, very cool samples from this band. 2 for 2. I should finally go to my first ProgDay!

neil
    It'll be great to see you there Neil.
    Ian

They sound great! Where are you guys getting physical copies from?

I bought a download.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I bought a download.
    Blasphemy!

(I guess I'll just buy a real one at the show in September)

I bought a download.
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Blasphemy!

(I guess I'll just buy a real one at the show in September)
    $25 for the CD, or $10 for the download, that level of difference swings me to download on something I'm essentially exploring for the first time.
    Ian

$25 for the CD, or $10 for the download, that level of difference swings me to download on something I'm essentially exploring for the first time.
    If you're talking about Luz De Riada, Greg Walker is selling the CD for $15.00 (http://synphonic.8m.com/country/mexico.htm). I got a while back, but I don't remember it being $25.00.

I also agree about the Prog Day lineup so far, outstanding. Kotebel are one of my favorite currently active groups, and I've enjoyed the Luz De Riada since it came out. In fact I actually like it better than the Cabezas di Cera, which I've sort of tired of over time. Prog Day is always at a busy time of year for me, but if the lineup continues in this vein, I'll make every effort tho be there.

Bill

^ Sweet, I've never ordered from Greg Walker, but I've heard great things. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    If you're talking about Luz De Riada, Greg Walker is selling the CD for $15.00 (http://synphonic.8m.com/country/mexico.htm). I got a while back, but I don't remember it being $25.00.

I also agree about the Prog Day lineup so far, outstanding. Kotebel are one of my favorite currently active groups, and I've enjoyed the Luz De Riada since it came out. In fact I actually like it better than the Cabezas di Cera, which I've sort of tired of over time. Prog Day is always at a busy time of year for me, but if the lineup continues in this vein, I'll make every effort tho be there.

Bill
    I must have a mental block with Greg as I always forget to check there. He's usually got a load of good stuff. I guess my mind is just going gaga.
    Ian

I must have a mental block with Greg as I always forget to check there. He's usually got a load of good stuff. I guess my mind is just going gaga.
    His selection is just incredible. Looking at his catalogue makes me feel like a prog newbie.

Synphonic, Wayside and Laser's Edge are about the only places I buy CDs anymore. They all have fantastic selections, fantastic prices, and they act as a "clearing house," giving you a fantastic sense of what's new and what might be up your alley. To me, they are the center of gravity in the "Prog community." It's one of the reasons I stick to buying CDs, primarily from them, because I value the service they provide and feel that if/when we lose that, the scene will become even less cohesive and harder to navigate and find great stuff than it already is. So support those vendors!

And I totally agree, Greg's catalog is really impressive, particularly for all the "back catalog" stuff he stocks. It's like an education in Prog just browsing around and sampling things, which I have done many times. I also find the weekly or periodic updates coming from these vendors to be super helpful in keeping up with the scene. I encourage everyone to get on those lists, I've been exposed to tons of stuff through those, like Luz De Riada, which I think I got from Steve when I saw it in his update.

Bill

Agree with those three vendors, Laser's Edge, Wayside and Symphonic. And Greg of Symphonic, sends a newsletter out every couple of months, of all the new stuff that he gets. Almost every selection in the email has a link to samples, so can hear what you might be getting in to. A fantastic system that has introduced me to a lot of great stuff.

neil