Thread: Robert Fripp vs. Madam Wong

Robert Fripp vs. Madam Wong

I recently unearthed this bit of audio I thought you might find amusing. Phil Hendrie told this story on his radio show back in 2007. For those not in the know, Hendrie does a comedy show where he plays different characters and does voices. I almost fell out of my chair when he mentioned Fripp's name when it aired live. The story is an example of one of Fripp's early battles against the music business (in this case a club owner). He could've at least done a British accent for Fripp, but I found this amusing nonetheless.

FYI, there's a vintage newspaper article on DGM Live detailing the fiasco that took place on that particular night in 1979:

http://www.dgmlive.com/vision.htm?show=1321&id=3072

Best line in article: "Charging $18 to get into this place is outrageous". Man, today $18 to get into a club that holds around 250 people would be a bargain!

Am I the only one who thinks this is racist trash?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No you're not.

It was a funny voice and a cartoon-like caricature. Making fun of how people speak is racist? Ooh, Asians don't pronounce their R's, what a despicable and untrue implication! Please. He could've done the same with southerners or Minnesotans. Would that make him anti-American? I find the PC police sickening, but of course it's your right to be offended.

It was a funny voice and a cartoon-like caricature
    I think he should have made fun of Fripps British accent too.

Hendrie is awesome - his characters are hilarious

Yeah not funny. Low hanging racist fruit

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    Ooh, Asians don't pronounce their R's, what a despicable and untrue implication! Please.
    It's too bad you don't know any Asians.

I might have expected that in 1977, but not in 2007.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I went to this show. Fripp also made a big stink about people bringing in cassette recorders to record his show.

He was generalizing, just as you are now.
    Go to China or Taiwan, many definetely have problems with the english R. That doesnt make them lesser persons. But sometimes it does sound funny.
    Just as my danish english sometimes does.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When Hendrie was still carried here, if I was listening to a talk station and an ad came on and I flipped over to the other talk station, I'd flip back to the ad--that's how un-funny Hendrie is.

It's a moot point now; the station switched to a thumping noises 24x7 format.

I was there and while in line waiting to get in, Fripp appeared on the outside balcony of the venue and told everyone of his displeasure with Madam Wong, calling her Madame CHONG!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Robert Fripp vs Rabbi Myrowitz

"Radiohead is one of those bands worth listening to." Racially insensitive and dubious taste in music! How'd this clown get a radio show?! Ba-da-BING!!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Wow, I guess you had to be there.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    It's too bad you don't know any Asians.

I might have expected that in 1977, but not in 2007.
    Thanks for generalizing about who I know. Hendrie bases his voices on people he's known in his real life. The fact is, some Asians do speak like that (I'm sure many don't). It's not about condemning a race, it's just about doing one character with a funny voice. Anything else is what you are projecting onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    He was generalizing, just as you are now.
    Go to China or Taiwan, many definetely have problems with the english R. That doesnt make them lesser persons. But sometimes it does sound funny.
    Just as my danish english sometimes does.
    Was he implying that all Asians sound like that or they are lesser people? I must've missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    When Hendrie was still carried here, if I was listening to a talk station and an ad came on and I flipped over to the other talk station, I'd flip back to the ad--that's how un-funny Hendrie is.

It's a moot point now; the station switched to a thumping noises 24x7 format.
    Funny, I felt just the opposite. I thought his show was a breath of fresh air from all the other conservative drones. It wasn't a standard talk show, he was doing improvisational comedy every day with callers who didn't know they were part of the joke. Thought it was brilliant and hilarious, and still do.

There's always a victim in comedy.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's not funny at all.