Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - David Gilmour : On An Island

FEATURED CD - David Gilmour : On An Island

I'll probably take some heat for this ... but I think it's like 'Floyd on Valium.

Waddaya think?

Per Steve on SoT:
    It only took twenty-two years, but David Gilmour's third solo album has arrived. Stylistically, this album is worlds apart from the rock oriented About Face and the progressive pop found on The Division Bell. On an Island is a pastoral, laid back, breezy and autumnal Sunday morning of a record.

The album begins in very Floydian fashion as "Castellorizon" floats in on a cloud of orchestral sounds, background whispers, cannons and rockets before Gilmour's unmistakable languid bluesy guitar wails cry out through the special effects. The title song features David Crosby and Graham Nash on vocal harmonies as well as Floyd alumni Richard Wright on Hammond organ. Gilmour's trademark solos are of course the selling point and he nearly outdoes himself here and on "The Blue": economical, emotional and ethereal. Gilmour's vocals are likewise in great shape and he sounds much the same as he did thirty-five years ago.

"Take a Breath" is the only song that "rocks" and in some ways, doesn't quite gel with the rustic warmth of the rest of the album. "Red Sky at Night" is a short and sweet instrumental featuring David Gilmour on saxophone. This is a very rich atmospheric track that makes me think of Roxy Music's "Tara". "Then I Close My Eyes" is the third and final instrumental and features Robert Wyatt on cornet and barely audible vocals. What a moving song this is; utterly simple in its arrangement but the emotional depths are boundless.

"Where We Start" closes the album and the mellow mood is accentuated for what is quite possibly the most romantic song David Gilmour has ever written. The lyrics might be too schmaltzy for some listeners, but the fire glow intimacy of the song pulls me in every time. The guitar solo that fades out too quickly over the swelling orchestral strings isn't half bad either.

On an Island is one of the finest albums of the year. Anyone hoping for the marching hammers and rock star alienation of The Wall better look elsewhere for their angst. Plaintively beautiful and refreshingly mature, here's hoping we won't have to wait another twenty-two years for David Gilmour's next solo album.

Reviewer: Steve Pettengill
    Score: 4.5 Stars
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=3560

Regards,

Duncan

The Blue gives me goosebumps each time I listen. It's really the only song I like to go back to. Some nice stuff in there, but just doesn't grab me.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Worth buying for the title track alone. I play this fairly regularly.

Tom

I adore much of it. Don't listen to it much, but the last time I did, the last four tracks nearly moved me to tears. I think the last song grabs me the most, seeing the picture of David and his wife walking, old... So poignant. The first three tracks are great too. The two more rockin tracks (so to speak) tracks 4 & 6, dont grab me as much, but they are still decent. Honestly I enjoy this album more than any Pink Floyd album since Animals. Should I be ducking about now?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's a lovely pipe and slippers album
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Suspended
    I borrowed this from my local library, and was impressed enough that I later purchased it. I haven't heard any of Gilmour's other solo releases, but I was mildly astonished that this album sounded so fresh, certainly not like an artist in the twilight of his career.

I don't understand the comment "worlds apart from..... The Division Bell", because I find a lot of similarity Anyway, that's probably not important. I love this album right from the stunning opening track, and I find it hard to pick a low point. Perhaps "This Heaven" sounds a slightly jarring note; it's still a good song, but its bluesy sound does not quite seem to fit. Still that's only a minor quibble.

I'd say anyone who enjoyed albums like Wish You Were Here and The Division Bell would enjoy this. Those who prefer something with a bit more punch, like the more upbeat tracks found on Meddle and Animals, might find this album a bit too soothing for their taste.

Favourite tracks are probably "In the Blue" and "A Pocketful of Stones".

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Its a great album to relax to, in fact its playing as I type. Its languid, dulcet tones wafting...

zzzzzzzzzz

zzzzz zzzzzzzzzz

I had the pleasure of listening to this whilst heavily under the influence of some fine herb and several drinks as I lay on the beach in Maho Bay, St. John, USVI. Perfection achieved.
    Should one find themselves free of all the chores of the day, with the sun beating down and a sh*t eating grin on your face knowing you have all day to do nothing, put this on and enjoy.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I like this CD a lot, and I return to it when I need a soothing, pleasing listen punctuated by DG's soaring leads. Having Crosby and Nash providing some harmony vocals wasn't a bad idea either. I'll have to follow Obscured's advice next winter when we're spending time in Costa Rica and Panama - - - in fact, it's already gone from an idea to a plan!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    It reminds me of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds...more organically "Floyd" sounding than either post Waters effort. Personally, I think it's the best overall post Wall Floyd related album.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    It reminds me of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds...more organically "Floyd" sounding than either post Waters effort. Personally, I think it's the best overall post Wall Floyd related album.
    Yes! Agreed!

I hope there's another one in him.

Suspended
    BTW, I have never come across another CD packaged quite like this one, The cloth bound booklet, with the artificially faded pages, gives the whole thing a 19th century appearance. Even the CD spindle is a little rubber lug instead of the usual plastic; the CD itself is the only plastic in the whole thing.

What a good album! I figured it might be laid back before I heard it, but it is more than I expected. Only Take a Breath rocks, and for me I didn't miss it. There isn't any deadwood here and all of it creates a uniform mood. Gilmour brought in a bunch of friends, including David Crosby, Graham Nash, Robert Wyatt, proto Pink Floyd's original guitarist (pre Syd) Rado Klose, Richard Wright and Phil Manzanara who among other things co produced. There's beautiful orchestrations, wonderful singing, Hammond organ that sneaks into a couple of tracks, some sax, nice lyrics with the help of his wife. And of course DGs guitar, but not often the rockin type. And that is just fine.

This scratches an itch that few other albums can scratch

but then, that itch is rare
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Here is a review I wrote back in 2007:

"Gilmour has laid low for a long time. His last solo album was 22 years ago, and his last work with Pink Floyd more than a decade. So it was with great anticipation when it was announced the Gilmour was finally going to release some new music in 2006. The resulting album "On An Island" finds a mature artist looking back on a full life seemingly content in his early senior citizen years. The material was all written by Gilmour with lyrical help from his wife Polly Samson on several tracks. Gust musicians include Richard Wright (Pink Floyd), David Crosby and Graham Nash (CSN), Guy Pratt (Pink Floyds' touring band), Jools Holland (Squeeze), Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music), Robert Wyatt (Happy The Man), and others. The album is primarily a moody affair with slower melodic songs that don't necessarily bang you over the head upon first listen, but slowly work their way into the listeners brain over repeated listens. This is a very different album from Gilmour's previous two solo discs. Personally I don't think it is quite as good, but I do enjoy it for what it is. As mentioned earlier the album is very mellow and moody. The closest thing to a rocker on the album is the track "Take A Breath" which is actually one of the weaker songs. The album is a mix of vocal tunes and instrumentals. Some of it sounds to me like early Pink Floyd and would have fit right in on "Obscured By Clouds" or "Meddle". Highlights include the title track "On An Island", "The Blue", "Red Sky At Night", "A Pocketful Of Stones", and the closer "Where We Start". I have to be in the right mood for this album, but I would rate it a solid 4 star from Mr. Gilmour."

The tour for this album was fantastic. Gilmour and Richard Wright performing "Echoes" remains one of my all time concert highlights..........and I have seen a lot of concerts.......

The best Chillaxing album of all time. Putting it on after a bad day is why it was made imho.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's a lovely pipe and slippers album
    I'd even go a step further....

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    zzzzzzzzzz

zzzzz zzzzzzzzzz
    Yup.... zzzz.gif

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I borrowed this from my local library, and was impressed enough that I later purchased it. I haven't heard any of Gilmour's other solo releases, but I was mildly astonished that this album sounded so fresh, certainly not like an artist in the twilight of his career.

I don't understand the comment "worlds apart from..... The Division Bell", because I find a lot of similarity Anyway,.
    Well Gilmour is a limited songwriter (though he's written some exceptional songs); so it's little surprise that you'll find some similarities between his albums, beit TDB, AMLOR, About Face or OAI...

However: "fresh" is not a word I'd use for this album... "tired and stale" are more apt, IMHO.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Gilmour isn't much of a lyricist, but I really don't care. I love his voice and He can play like no one else on the planet. This is a great album. Twilight for sure, but it's what HE wanted to do at this time in his life. And I've always been happy to go along for the stroll with this album.

Suspended
    ^^ Maybe Gilmour's lyrics aren't all that sophisticated, but I'll take them over Roger Waters' Wall-whining any day.

One of my favorite "Sunday Morning" discs. I love the live versions on the GDansk CD/DVD set too!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I don't think it's a good idea to compare Gilmour solo albums with Pink Floyd albums, though there's naturally going to be some overlap. But when compared to his past solo albums I think this one is probably as good as About Face but perhaps not quite as good as the first one. It is a more relaxed and breezy listen, which makes sense given where Gilmour is in his life.

Of course, the live album and video kick its ass all over the place.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ Maybe Gilmour's lyrics aren't all that sophisticated, but I'll take them over Roger Waters' Wall-whining any day.
    ...word...

Wasn't this discussed recently? Anyway, I like it for what it is- not an earth-shattering nor especially energetic record...but then again, the most 'rock' track on it is the weakest by far ('Take A Breath'...too much like some of those 'Stadium Floyd' tracks like 'Keep Talking', 'Take It Back', 'One Slip' etc.).

'The Blue' and the title track are the ones that I remember most from here.

put me to sleep twice and I gave it as a gift to a Floyd-fan colleague

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    put me to sleep twice and I gave it as a gift to a Floyd-fan colleague
    I'd rather put this on than take a Benadryl though... just sayin
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?