Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD - David Gilmour : On An Island

OAI was roundly slagged at release because it didn't sound exactly like a new PF album. Myself, I found it pleasant and well-executed, if at a considerably lower ambition than PF. Dave's got nothing left to prove, so he put out a highly personal album with no particular axes to grind. As long as you go into it expecting a DG solo rather than a PF group, it's a fine album.

It's a nice late night album. Like a lot of chill music, I have to be in the right place to listen to it but it hits the spot when I'm there. And that guitar is still a glorious instrument.

No, the lyrics are so-so but he's writing actual melodies and tunes, something Waters lost the ability to do about the time of The Final Cut, if not before.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

after a 22 year wait, it was a huge disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    It reminds me of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds...more organically "Floyd" sounding than either post Waters effort. Personally, I think it's the best overall post Wall Floyd related album.
    I agree. So glad to see all the love for it here!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    after a 22 year wait, it was a huge disappointment.
    I didn't know about it's release until 2005 as I recall, so I only waited a year or so.

Was released in '06....Another record is on its way...

Not as good as the first. Much better than the second. Better than the Non-Waters PF. There is something soothing about Gilmour's voice.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Not as good as the first. Much better than the second. Better than the Non-Waters PF. There is something soothing about Gilmour's voice.
    Pretty much my take as well
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's a lovely pipe and slippers album
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    I had the pleasure of listening to this whilst heavily under the influence of some fine herb and several drinks as I lay on the beach in Maho Bay, St. John, USVI. Perfection achieved.
    Should one find themselves free of all the chores of the day, with the sun beating down and a sh*t eating grin on your face knowing you have all day to do nothing, put this on and enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    It reminds me of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds...more organically "Floyd" sounding than either post Waters effort. Personally, I think it's the best overall post Wall Floyd related album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    The best Chillaxing album of all time. Putting it on after a bad day is why it was made imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ Maybe Gilmour's lyrics aren't all that sophisticated, but I'll take them over Roger Waters' Wall-whining any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    One of my favorite "Sunday Morning" discs. I love the live versions on the GDansk CD/DVD set too!
    These ^^ little "mini-reviews" all pretty much how I feel about this one. It's mellow, it's quiet, it's lovely, it's moving in parts - just a great, unexpected release from Gilmour. "Take a Breath" is the track that deviates from this feel, and I usually just skip it. It doesn't belong on this album, and it's rather jarring.

Great album to listen to w/headphones, outside in the sun, on a quiet afternoon with a beverage and good book.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Another record is on its way...
    Really? I though he had, for all intents and purposes, retired. Excellent news!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Having never warmed up to Gilmour's previous albums I didn't give this one any consideration. Then, late one night, my friend and I were driving back from Neil Young's Bridge Concert having seen the Buffalo Springfield reunion. He put this one on and it was perfect- Peaceful, pastoral, lush, beautiful. Time stood still.

I went out and bought the CD. It still is a good, late night listen. Saw the live, all-star show on TV around the same time. Loved to hear Echoes and see Richard one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I'd rather put this on than take a Benadryl though... just sayin
    True enough... an effective sleeping pill, but you're not likely to get hooked on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Non-Waters Floyd has only one major song that's worthy: High Hopes
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    OAI was roundly slagged at release because it didn't sound exactly like a new PF album. Myself, I found it pleasant and well-executed, if at a considerably lower ambition than PF. Dave's got nothing left to prove, so he put out a highly personal album with no particular axes to grind. As long as you go into it expecting a DG solo rather than a PF group, it's a fine album.
    Ditto!

He's 60+ years... How much more rock 'n roll is a person expected to have inside after 40 years?

Another plus: like his voice or not, the man can still sing. Anyone hear his renditions of Syd's songs? He can still hit those way-out-there notes! Take that, Ian Anderson!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Not sure why there's such a surprise that this album has a laid back, dreamy quality. It's right in line with David's earlier compositions for PF like Fat Old Sun.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

The first half of his solo tour was a snoozefest. The second half, PF tunes, was sublime.

Love these slow, beautiful tunes. And yes, he can still sing.

I enjoyed it a lot. Nice and relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ Maybe Gilmour's lyrics aren't all that sophisticated, but I'll take them over Roger Waters' Wall-whining any day.
    Indeed. Or most of his other angst-ridden navel-gazing that many rock fans seem to have an affinity for (see LENNON, John, Plastic Ono Band). Gilmour focuses on the music, not his anger and demons.

But On An Island required a couple of listens. I like laid back, but wow...

Count me in as a strong double thumbs up on this album.. Loved it from the first listening... to each his own..

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Thanks for the info. Only about 3 years til it's released . I am a fan of all of his albums, I hope it is out soon.

"A Pocketful of Stones" is, imho, one of Gilmour's very finest compositions.
    I wasn't too impressed with the album on first listen, and the concert I saw didn't really change my mind, but the later live releases, with repeated listens it grew on me. I still tend to skip the two "rockier" tracks because, as pointed above, they kind of detract from the overall atmosphere, but ultimately this is probably my favourite post-"Final Cut" Floyd-releated release.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos