Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Strawbs

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    I've never seen Strawbs live, but if I were you, I'd definitely go! Also seems like a good band for an accompanying spouse, whether they are a fan of Prog or not.

Happy Anniversary!
    Thanks! We’re going! I played her “When We Were Young” from Ghosts, qualifying it as not being representative of much of their work, and she liked it!

Great! I hope that you both like it. They may not play that particular song, but I am sure that they will play one or more slower songs like that. They always do. (Nice break from the bombast. )

Well, it was a nice show. They played 3 tunes from a Ferryman's Curse, a couple from Hero and Heroine, and a couple from Ghosts. Can't remember the rest of them since I'm not that familiar with their discography. Dave Bainbridge was the star of the show; he's even a great guitarist! Dave Cousins had a lot of vocal trouble and seems very frail. I wonder if he's ill? He had a couple of cringe-inducing moments and forgot where they were in the setlist at one point.

The venue, the Palais Montcalm, seemed mostly full with at least 1000 in attendance. I was a bit surprised, but Cousins mentioned that they've sold more records in Canada than anywhere else in the world.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Cousins had some sort of operation somewhere around July. Maybe he's not fully recovered?

There has been some insinuation that Cousins may be ill. He's lost a LOT of weight. I hope that's not the case though, and I hate when people think you're ill because you lost a lot of weight. But "frail" is a word I have never heard to describe David Cousins. I'm sorry to hear he was having vocal problems.

Picture from a few months ago.
    37716346_1671351519601279_2203121861238194176_o[1].jpg
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 10-11-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Just working out the kinks I expect....by the time they hit Gravenhurst he was in powerful voice and that continued throughout. He was ill with kidney stones earlier this year & had an operation to remove them, but he's recovered and he looks good.

After seeing them, I've delved into their catalog a bit. First, through the Broken Hearted Bride, I think Cousins is a great singer. Yes, his singing is idiosyncratic, but I consider that a good thing. I understand that such a distinctive voice and timbre would turn some people off, but I think it's indispensible for Strawbs music and suits the material. Sadly, I think he's declined since the Broken Hearted Bride. The material on the Ferryman's Curse is great, but Cousins' singing has suffered. There's almost an "old man's whistle" to his singing. Kind of to be expected. In his prime, though, he was a monster vocalist and that prime lasted for decades.

I'd recommend seeing them before it's too late. I'm glad I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    After seeing them, I've delved into their catalog a bit. First, through the Broken Hearted Bride, I think Cousins is a great singer. Yes, his singing is idiosyncratic, but I consider that a good thing. I understand that such a distinctive voice and timbre would turn some people off, but I think it's indispensible for Strawbs music and suits the material. Sadly, I think he's declined since the Broken Hearted Bride. The material on the Ferryman's Curse is great, but Cousins' singing has suffered. There's almost an "old man's whistle" to his singing. Kind of to be expected. In his prime, though, he was a monster vocalist and that prime lasted for decades.

I'd recommend seeing them before it's too late. I'm glad I did!
    I saw them last Sunday at Hugh's Room in Toronto...apparently, they have played this venue 35 times. Cousins voice is just OK, I feel that it's getting close to over. It's certainly over for Dave Lambert's voice. Regardless, it was an excellent show with many well deserved standing O's. Dave Bainbridge is a real asset to this line up and a perfect fit.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Outdoor fire, weed, dram of Edradour whisky, and Strawbs Grave New World....oh yeah.

Jon Neudorf
    Frick, that sounds awesome!

Hey Little Man! I just listened to this in the past week and really enjoyed it as well. What's the word? Classic, oh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Outdoor fire, weed, dram of Edradour whisky, and Strawbs Grave New World....oh yeah.
    It doesn't get much better than that. While the weed, whisky, and Strawbs are legal in my neck of Massachusetts, the outdoor fire is not. I miss that from the days of my yout in Rhode Island.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The other day I asked Alexa to shuffle songs by the Strawbs and after a live song Cousins was telling a story about the next song which was about an elderly woman who had died and all her possessions she had accumulated over her live were being auctioned off in her house and then the shuffle started a different song. I can’t think of what song he was talking about. Does anyone have that live recording or know what song it was he was talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The other day I asked Alexa to shuffle songs by the Strawbs and after a live song Cousins was telling a story about the next song which was about an elderly woman who had died and all her possessions she had accumulated over her live were being auctioned off in her house and then the shuffle started a different song. I can’t think of what song he was talking about. Does anyone have that live recording or know what song it was he was talking about?
    The Life Auction from 'Ghosts'. (I don't think I have the live recording.)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Edradour whisky, and Strawbs Grave New World
    Good. Great, even.

But try the Balvenie Triple Cask 12 y.o. to John Martyn's Bless the Weather
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    The Life Auction from 'Ghosts'. (I don't think I have the live recording.)
    I thought that myself but those lyrics don’t seem to match the story
    Maybe they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fracktured; 02-01-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Antique Suite maybe?

What was the song they played before his introduction?

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Antique Suite maybe?

What was the song they played before his introduction?
    I think it was cold steel but I’m not positive

[QUOTE=Fracktured;954350]I think it was cold steel but I’m not positive]

Well they do Cold Steel then Life Auction right after it on the DVD from the tour in the '00's so I think Harbottle was correct

I thought that myself but those lyrics don’t seem to match the story
    Maybe they do.

I'm sure I've read/heart Dave Cousins talking about the inspiration for this song and it involved seeing a woman's possessions being sold after she had died.

Maybe it's in the booklet that came with the CD. (Not that I know where my CD is, as they're all in boxes up in the attic!)

When I've finished listening to Fleetwood Mac's Time (Not a great album) I might listen to Ghosts! Not listened to both for a while and Ghosts has always been my favourite album by the Strawbs.

[QUOTE=taliesin;954352]
    I think it was cold steel but I’m not positive]

Well they do Cold Steel then Life Auction right after it on the DVD from the tour in the '00's so I think Harbottle was correct
    Sounds like that must be the song. Gives another meaning to it than what I thought it was about. Sure is interesting though. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Good. Great, even.

But try the Balvenie Triple Cask 12 y.o. to John Martyn's Bless the Weather
    I am not familiar with Bless the Weather...will definitely remedy that. Cheers mate.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The other day I was listening to the APP's "Eye in the Sky," which I haven't heard in ages. When the song "You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned" came on, I could have sworn it was Dave Cousins singing. I checked and it's Lenny Zakatek.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The other day I was listening to the APP's "Eye in the Sky," which I haven't heard in ages. When the song "You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned" came on, I could have sworn it was Dave Cousins singing. I checked and it's Lenny Zakatek.
    Lenny is one of my favorite singers. He sang over 20 songs over the years for APP including "Games People Play" and "I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You". I totally lost track of him though.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Lenny is one of my favorite singers. He sang over 20 songs over the years for APP including "Games People Play" and "I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You". I totally lost track of him though.

I played I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You all the time as a teenager.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)