Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Strawbs

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Then disaster struck with the aptly-titled BATS... something went horribly wrong in the quest or conquest for America...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1JA9w0Gfaw

Oh, come on.

https://strawbsweb.co.uk/index0.asp

Looks like Dave has had a full knee replacement and is recovering well.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

CHERRY RED PRESS RELEASE - NEW STRAWBS ALBUM UNDER WAY

David Cousins, leader of innovative rock band Strawbs, reveals that work is in progress for a new album to be released by Esoteric/Cherry Red in 2023.

Following the five-star reviews and chart-topping success of Settlement, fans around the world were disappointed when live Strawbs shows were cancelled for the foreseeable future.

David says: “In August last year I was diagnosed with a malignant tumour that required major surgery to remove it. My consultant advised me that the recovery period would be six months, which was the reason for me having to withdraw from all live Strawbs shows. I am pleased that the procedure was successful and I must express my gratitude to the National Health Service (NHS) team who continue to monitor my progress.”

‘Settlement’ was influenced by the strange atmosphere of the Covid-19 lockdowns. The new Strawbs album will again be produced by Blue Weaver who says that some songs he’s heard so far reflect the challenges of the past year, while others look at today’s uncertainty and social unrest.

David Cousins goes on to say: “I’d like to thank our Strawbs friends for their patience and understanding. One of the new songs is called - ‘Wiser Now’.” We all are.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Great news all around!

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    I think we can separate Strawbs in 4 eras. Early Strawbs – Strawbs 72-75 – Strawbs 76-77 – and recent Strawbs.
    I’m a big fan of Strawbs 72-75. Four albums. Heroes and Heroin and Ghost with John Hawken on Keyboard are my two favourites. I know they are still recording but I don’t know their late stuff.

That movie isn’t bad at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK9BH...yer_detailpage
    I would include "Bursting at the Seams and "Grave New World" in that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

CHERRY RED PRESS RELEASE - NEW STRAWBS ALBUM UNDER WAY

David Cousins, leader of innovative rock band Strawbs, reveals that work is in progress for a new album to be released by Esoteric/Cherry Red in 2023.

Following the five-star reviews and chart-topping success of Settlement, fans around the world were disappointed when live Strawbs shows were cancelled for the foreseeable future.

David says: “In August last year I was diagnosed with a malignant tumour that required major surgery to remove it. My consultant advised me that the recovery period would be six months, which was the reason for me having to withdraw from all live Strawbs shows. I am pleased that the procedure was successful and I must express my gratitude to the National Health Service (NHS) team who continue to monitor my progress.”

‘Settlement’ was influenced by the strange atmosphere of the Covid-19 lockdowns. The new Strawbs album will again be produced by Blue Weaver who says that some songs he’s heard so far reflect the challenges of the past year, while others look at today’s uncertainty and social unrest.

David Cousins goes on to say: “I’d like to thank our Strawbs friends for their patience and understanding. One of the new songs is called - ‘Wiser Now’.” We all are.
    Very happy to see he's doing well. I haven't listened to any of the recent Strawbs stuff (defining recent here as the last 20 years or so) but it may be time to remedy that.

Good to hear he is on the repair.I spoke with him in 2019 after a show at Sellersville and he remembered the shows they played at The Roxy ( Lehigh Valley ) 45 years prior. Quite a gentleman!!!

Banned

Dave is a legend. Grave New World is beyond special for me, and Witchwood is close too.

Alongside Fairport, Steeleye Span, Lindisfarne and Tull the Strawbs are one of the great of folk rock in my book.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Alongside Fairport, Steeleye Span, Lindisfarne and Tull the Strawbs are one of the great of folk rock in my book.
    Sandy Denny’s solo records, and Fotheringgay are good English folk rock too. It seems however to me that the English were followers of American folk and folk rock.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Sandy Denny’s solo records, and Fotheringgay are good English folk rock too. It seems however to me that the English were followers of American folk and folk rock.
    Sandy Denny had abandoned her studies at art college and was devoting herself full-time to music. While she was performing at The Troubadour folk club, a member of the Strawbs heard her, and in 1967, she was invited to join the band. She recorded one album with them in Denmark, which was released belatedly in 1973, credited to Sandy Denny and the Strawbs: All Our Own Work. The album includes an early solo version of her best-known (and widely recorded) composition, "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" A demo of that song found its way into the hands of American singer Judy Collins, who chose to cover it as the title track of an album of her own, released in November 1968, thus giving Denny international exposure as a songwriter before she had become widely known as a singer.

Banned
    Sandy Denny’s contemporaries in college included guitarist and future member of Pentangle, John Renbourn.

After her first public appearance at the Barge in Kingston upon Thames, Denny began working the folk club circuit in the evenings with an American-influenced repertoire, including songs by Tom Paxton, together with traditional folk songs.

Pentangle is one of my favorite folk rock bands