Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dance music dilemma

Dance music dilemma

my sister and I sometimes exchange songs in email. She likes to dance, so I try to send stuff that I think 'has a good beat' etc. I'm in a bit of disbelief that she does not like this song. I had a co-worker (who likes to dance) listen to it, and she didn't like it either. and I really don't get it. I head it on Pandora and ended up buying the digital album. I thought this song would fill a dance floor, but...

Suspended
    It's probably way too slow for today's "dance music".

"Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees is considered the quintessential disco song. (citation needed ) Not only is the tempo supposed to be the precise number of beats per minute that is optimum for getting people up on the dance floor, the song actually has the seal of approval from health professionals for use as a timing aid when applying CPR to someone with a heart problem. that is, you pump their chest while singing the song to yourself (or singing in your head), and that gives the right number of beats per minute. "Stayin' Alive" could save your life.

If you listen to "Stayin' Alive" or something with a similar tempo, and then listen to the song posted above, you'll hear what I mean.

----------------------

By the way I don't particularly like that song either, but not because of the dance beat or lack thereof, I just don't like the tune or the words much.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I listened all the way through and didn't hear a single OONTZ.

okay. that helps to explain why 'YMCA" is so popular with dancers. I know it's 'taste', but I think this is a way better song than either of those, and the dancers are great.

Send this to her:

I'm your typical rock snob and hate most dance music. "You Spin Me Right Round" might be the only true dance song I like.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Suspended
    If I have to dance - and that's not a position I place myself in very often - I'd as soon dance to reggae as anything else.

I like to dance, but mostly just at home and not to what most people consider dance music. numerous Clash songs. some Morphine. numerous SCOTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfE5WRFwf3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK03STRXWGo

Now here's some nice dancing

http://vimeo.com/32560244
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ that's great! I need to find a dance teacher.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

The beat - even in this case being the popular half-time shuffle, which is indeed a popular dance groove --- isn't "phat" enough to dance to. The snare, which usually anchors the groove, is mixed very light (the bass line is actually carrying the groove) and the kick drum, which is responsible for groove placement, is almost non-existent in this mix (obviously what this group is after). If the song was remixed with a fatter snare and with better kick drum punch, it would probably move some asses but, in its current state, its a very sub-dued campy pseudo-60s thing............

by the way, I like it

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post

"Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees is considered the quintessential disco song. (citation needed )
    Yeah, maybe for dumb white people who'd actually do something something stupid like strutting down the street in the working class part of Brooklyn (exactly where was Tony Manero supposed to be from? Bensonhurst, perhaps?).

If you ask me, the definitive disco song would have to be either I Feel Love by Donna Summer (her voice is the only thing on the track not coming out of a synthesizer) or something from Chic...Le Freak, perhaps? Nothing badder than the funk machine that was Nile Rodgers, Bernard Edwards (RIP) and Tony Thompson (RIP)!

Or maybe it was Boogie Nights by Heatwave.

(shrug) If I was gonna put a Bee Gees song up for consideration, it would be more likely Jive Talkin'. I just love the idea that they had no idea they didn't now what "jive talking" is (reputedly, they thought it had something to do with dancing, they didn't know "jive" basically meant "bullshit").

As for the CPR thing, I heard it said it's actually Another One Bites The Dust that has the right rhythm for doing chest compressions. I guess by extension, that means that Good Times by Chic also has the chest compressions tempo, since John Deacon basically stole the bass line off the Chic song.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Send this to her:

I'm your typical rock snob and hate most dance music. "You Spin Me Right Round" might be the only true dance song I like.
    This is almost as good as Aerosmith+Run DMC's Walk This Way

Re: dance music.... there is lots of cool musics to dance to, not only in the rock realm... but not since the very early 80's (the rare exceptions confirm the rule)

I used to hate disco, especially the BG, but nowadays, compared to what they play in discotheque, good-ol'disco sounds pretty good to these ears (Chic played some fantastic killer-funk tunes... even Le Freak is rather good, though I totally hated it back then.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    There would seem to be something rather inappropriate about using "Another one Bites the Dust" in attempting to revive a victim of cardiac arrest.

There is no dilemma Davis, that simply isn't Dance music, not in the modern sense of the Dance genre, not in the early 20th C sense of ballroom dance, nor in the mid-20th C sense of Jive or of 70s disco. People don't dance to music like that in clubs, and it wouldn't be played in a club anyway, so how you imagine it could fill a dance floor is beyond me. Do you ever go to clubs?

All that aisde, I personally think it's a bloody awful tune.

Apparently the US is finally catching up with what we Europeans now call dance music but there is no evidence here in this thread. Ask any "youngster" what they call dance music then they will rattle of quite a list of d.j.'s and acts of which quite a lot are Dutch. It is probably our biggest musical export. Here is a podcast by one of the leading d.j.'s in the field:

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    There would seem to be something rather inappropriate about using "Another one Bites the Dust" in attempting to revive a victim of cardiac arrest.
    Yeah, it does seem to be in poor taste, but I hear some CPR instructors use it to demonstrate the correct chest compression rhythm.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, it does seem to be in poor taste, but I hear some CPR instructors use it to demonstrate the correct chest compression rhythm.
    I can think of a number of others that would be more appropriate - whether they have the correct tempo I don't know.

Elvis Costello - Pump It Up
    Salt 'n' Pepa - Push It
    The Supremes (and many covers) - You Keep me Hanging On
    Michael Jackson - Beat it

------------------------------------------

On the Wikipedia entry for "Stayin' Alive", it says:
    Decades later, medical associations have found that the song (As well as Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust") is useful for people administering cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in emergencies with its steady beat being an excellent means of keeping to the proper compression rate in the procedure.
    so it seems we are both right.

Speaking for myself, I'd take the Bee Gees over that Queen song any day, I have always hated that song. Still, if I was being revived after a cardiac arrest, i dare say i would not be fussy.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 05-03-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    There is no dilemma Davis, that simply isn't Dance music, not in the modern sense of the Dance genre, not in the early 20th C sense of ballroom dance, nor in the mid-20th C sense of Jive or of 70s disco. People don't dance to music like that in clubs, and it wouldn't be played in a club anyway, so how you imagine it could fill a dance floor is beyond me. Do you ever go to clubs?

I disagree: its a half-time shuffle....people ( particularly the current over 60 crowd) will dance to that groove ( Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy" is a half-time shuffle, and folks will get up to dance to that)...The problem with the OPs post is in the production: the drums aren't "phat enough" to make somebody want to get on the floor

...but the common mis-conception in this thread is that disco, dance, funk-disco, techno-electronica, EBM, etc is the only kind of modern dance music/grooves and that just isnt the case or even remotely true ( and here I am, the guy that plays bass in a corporate-dance showband that specializes in a lot of new electronica and "booty-music" )

People of all ages will move their asses to "Pride and Joy" by SRV, "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC, "What I Got" by Sublime, "Crazy Bitch" by Buck Cherry, "Mony Mony" by Tommy James, and a myriad of other tunes that arent disco, funk, or electronica

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Apparently the US is finally catching up with what we Europeans now call dance music but there is no evidence here in this thread.
    Exactly. Sometimes reading these type of threads I wonder maybe if the Dance revolution of the late 80s was restricted to Europe. Because many Americans haven't got a clue about Dance, Techno, Rave, House, Acidjazz, EBM, EDM, Trip-hop, Dub-step, Drum & Bass, Deep house, Goa, Trance, Bangra, Bro-step etc.

They don't seem to have realised that Dance in musical terms isn't a word that describes the rhythmic moving of the body but that it was a music genre from the late 80s onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

My use of "dilemma" was facetious & was part alliteration. As for it being 'bloody awful.' that's okay! to each his/her own. I go to clubs to see bands, but not dance clubs. I think I'm past the age limit for that (is there an age limit?). I apparently have a different definition of 'dance music" than the standard. to me, any song that has a really good beat and make you want to get up and move is dance music or, rather, music for dancing. e.g., The Beatles "Birthday" Morphine "Early to Bed" "Top Floor Bottom Buzzer"... CCR "Born on the Bayou" "Down on the Corner" "Green River" R.L. Burnside "It's Bad You Know" and on and on.

You could definitely dance to the OP's tune - it's all a question of which decade you're in while you're doing it!

When I had those dancin' feet - it was something like this that floated my boat.

What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I think I'm past the age limit for that (is there an age limit?).
    Hell, you're never too old to shake it man! I still do & I'm 52.

BT is absolutely awesome - high respect for that guy and his career.

I'm exposed to a wide variety of EDM - and heavily into the scene in this region . . . (and have had many of my own productions realized in this regard). We get out to clubs and shows all the time - - - it's a blast.

Man, I remember a scene in Oliver Stone's "The Doors" where all these people were dancing to "The End." "THE END." Which has to be one of the slowest, most boring, over-rated songs ever. If someone can dance to that, they can dance to anything.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)