Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Marillion Weekends 2015 - details announced

Interesting again to see Steve Hogarth talk about how rarely played 'Fruit Of The Wild Rose' is, as I saw them play that several years back. The gig I saw on that late 2007 tour was funny because they did oddities like that and unpopular songs ('Hooks In You', 'Cannibal Surf Babe'), and it was still a great show!

I'd agree with him that the Anoraknophobia album suffers from unnecessarily extended arrangements, it's not very focussed. I think I used to like it more than I do now. Marbles on the other hand has aged well, I think. I also agree that people should re-evaluate 'Somewhere Else', but not about 'Most Toys'- I don't really like the lyric, and musically it's another of their unconvincing 'rockers' a la 'Paper Lies' and 'Deserve'.

"The Fruit Of The Wild Rose" is surely a rarely-played track though, compared to a lot of their songs. I've always really liked it, and it was great live, although Mark's keys were a tad low in the mix.

As for "Most Toys" and "Deserve", I like 'em both. I don't *love* them, but they're good fun songs that I rarely skip. "Paper Lies" however is the lone weak moment on my favourite Marillion album. It was yet another that was better live though.

Loving this Hogarth diaries book. Very interesting behind the scenes stuff!

Up in the air right now as to where we're going to be in the venue tonight. Wife wants to be up close. Oh boy..
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "The Fruit Of The Wild Rose" is surely a rarely-played track though, compared to a lot of their songs. I've always really liked it, and it was great live, although Mark's keys were a tad low in the mix.
    Oh yes, I'm not disputing that- just that it's funny the only time I saw them, they did that song!

Another Marillion weekend come and gone... they really gave it their all, and were utterly exhausted by the time it was over. We sat in the bar area and had a great view... a few of the usual idiots blathering on throughout the entire opening act but they settled down for Marillion.

First time I've ever heard h give such a shout out of respect to Fish and his lyrics, that was interesting. He kept joking throughout the night that when he took over for Fish, that's when marillion really became progressive.

"Chronological Singles" is not the strongest theme night they've had, but obviously there are only so many ideas they can come up with. Some great tracks and strong performances of course, but didn't translate into a nicely flowing setlist. Still a great show, but after Marbles last night the bar was set out of reach.

Setlist:

Market Square Heroes
    Garden Party
    Kayleigh
    Lavender
    Heart Of Lothian
    Warm Wet Circles
    Sugar Mice
    Incommunicado
    Hooks In You
    The Uninvited Guest
    No One Can
    Dry Land
    Sympathy
    The Great Escape (Spiral remake version)
    Alone Again In The Lap Of Luxury
    Beautiful
    These Chains
    See It Like A Baby
    Thank You Whoever You Are
    Whatever Is Wrong With You
    Power

Easter
    Man Of A Thousand Faces

Montréal
    Three Minute Boy (very long version featuring much tomfoolery!)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

BTW, some alleged celebrity was in front of me during the show. I made fun of his really bad hair to my wife, who informed me he is the host of a show called Ancient Aliens. I now recognize him from a meme he is in. People were getting their picture taken with him... I think I'll pass.
    Must have been Giorgio Tsoukalos. He's a big fan of Marillion, and tweets about them often.

A total crackpot WRT the whole Ancient Aliens thing, but an entertaining crackpot, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^^^ yep, that's the guy.

I filmed this on Sunday... just had to, since it was MSH!

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    I filmed this on Sunday... just had to, since it was MSH!
    Been removed?

Here's H from last Thursday night at Brutopia. He was much happier just sitting at our table and chatting with us than he was upstairs with all the fans who were literally grabbing at him. He said he felt like a piece of fish food that had been dropped into a tank.

Can't believe that was a week ago already. Back to work today for me, my holiday is officially over and the depression is setting in....

h.jpg

Love h's shirt!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Here's H from last Thursday night at Brutopia. He was much happier just sitting at our table and chatting with us than he was upstairs with all the fans who were literally grabbing at him. He said he felt like a piece of fish food that had been dropped into a tank.

Can't believe that was a week ago already. Back to work today for me, my holiday is officially over and the depression is setting in....

h.jpg
    I hear you about being back at work! These marillion weekends allow me to immerse myself in my favorite band and forget my troubles for 3 days. I hope the rumblings of no 2017 weekend aren't true. Although a US tour would dull the blow! By the way Mr H looks like he's had a few in that photo! Love that guy!
    Last edited by schlongasaurus; 04-30-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Although a US tour would dull the blow!
    Totally agree.

I saw them three times on their last US jaunt in 2012, the second show at the House of Blues in West Hollywood was a great show:

House of Blues, June 28, 2012
    Splintering Heart
    Cover My Eyes (Pain and Heaven)
    Slàinte Mhath [the one Fish-era song I don't mind them doing]
    The Other Half
    Afraid of Sunlight [YES]
    Cannibal Surf Babe [I was born in 1960-weird]
    Lucky Man
    Estonia
    The Great Escape [HELL YES]
    Between You and Me
    Neverland
    Encore:
    This Strange Engine [Never thought I'd hear this live again]
    Encore 2:
    Kayleigh [Blah, went to the bathroom]
    Easter
    Three Minute Boy
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by schlongasaurus View Post
    I hear you about being back at work! These marillion weekends allow me to immerse myself in my favorite band and forget my troubles for 3 days. I hope the rumblings of no 2017 weekend aren't true. Although a US tour would dull the blow! By the way Mr H looks like he's had a few in that photo! Love that guy!
    Haha yeah we had a few pints each by then for sure. If the fools upstairs would have been more patient and less zealous, they could have enjoyed his company for quite a while as we did. At one point The Police song "So Lonely" came on at the bar and we were all singing it together. Super nice guy.

When we got to Brutopia on the Thursday evening of the 2013 weekend I got a drink from the bar as Steve Rothery walked in. I got him a beer and we chatted for a few minutes which was cool... until this guy brought his girlfriend over to meet him and she promptly burst into tears, saying "Oh my god" over and over again. So not only did they interrupt, but she was a bawling lunatic the whole time - as though she was at a Beatles concert in the early 60s. Some people....

Yeah, the Marillion weekends are just so... carefree somehow. And since we also made a holiday out of it, I was off work for a lot longer than a lot of people probably are, so it made going back that much tougher today. Suffice to say it was not a fun day.

When we got to Brutopia on the Thursday evening of the 2013 weekend I got a drink from the bar as Steve Rothery walked in. I got him a beer and we chatted for a few minutes which was cool... until this guy brought his girlfriend over to meet him and she promptly burst into tears, saying "Oh my god" over and over again. So not only did they interrupt, but she was a bawling lunatic the whole time - as though she was at a Beatles concert in the early 60s. Some people....
    Precisely the reason I no longer make any effort to speak to artists after shows among the crowds. Too many times I've hung around politely and patiently waiting my turn and then when I finally get a chance to say hello or ask a question some rude person will always interrupt, often mid-sentence, as though they are the most important person in the world.

Been removed?
    Someone from the Marillion camp (Lucy most probably) reported the video... so I had no choice to remove it.