Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agalloch

Agalloch

Not sure if this belongs in the main board. I'm erring on the side of not offending people with metal.

Anyway! I got turned onto band from a friend who casually piqued my curiosity when I overheard him talking to someone about his love of pagan/folk metal. So I asked him, hey, I've been curious about some of that kinda stuff. Where do I start. He made me a list, with Agalloch underlined and starred. Cool, thanks dood. So I checked them out.

Holy crap is this good stuff. It reminds me of the melancholy melodicism of melodic death metal from Scandinavia from the 90s, crossed with the post-emo/post-rock indie stuff from the late 90s/early 2000s. Heavy, melodic, moody. Just how I like it.

I've been listening to Pale Folklore just about every day for a week, and I just picked up The Mantle and The White/The Grey, and am devouring those with great aplomb.

Anyone else a fan?
    flute juice

I like The Mantle somewhat, but thought that Pale Folklore wasn't very good. They're pretty unoriginal, too - they're trying rather desperately to be like the Scandanavian bands. I'd rather just listen to the real thing, if I was to want to hear this kind of thing.

The White EP to me still stands head and shoulders over everything else they've done. Although I don't find anything they've done to be bad or even boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I like The Mantle somewhat, but thought that Pale Folklore wasn't very good. They're pretty unoriginal, too - they're trying rather desperately to be like the Scandanavian bands. I'd rather just listen to the real thing, if I was to want to hear this kind of thing.
    Totally disagree. I think they show their influences, but do their own thing just fine. As someone who can't stand growls, there's something about the bizarre way this dude sings that seems to fit the dark, cold mood of the music perfectly. I like the albums mentioned here, but find Marrow of the Spirit mesmerizing. Perfect Autumn/Winter music.

Great stuff!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I agree with Scott, MOTS is amazing! I don't have much beyond that and The Mantle as I've heard they have gotten mellower ala Katatonia, not for me.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The Mantle is a top album for me. So much beauty, so much bleakness.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'm a huge Agalloch fan. When I was a young lad and going to graduate school at Temple U in Philadelphia, I took the train 5+ days a week for four years into Philadelphia from Norristown. The journey took you past long-abandoned manufacturing plants, decaying neighborhoods, and very dismal and depressing scenery as you approached the city. Most of the time on the train, I would either study or read. However, there were times particularly on a cold, dreary, rainy, gray day, that I would stare out the window as the bleak scenery streamed past and, as a idealistic student will want to do, contemplated the meaning of it all. During these periods of reflection, I always knew that there was a soundtrack playing in my head. However, I didn't realize until I finally heard Agalloch that it was them.

Another nod for Marrow of the Spirit, which is terrific.

FYI: they have a new one coming out in about two weeks (Serpent & the Sphere, I think it's called), and are going on tour in the summer/fall. They're also one of the headliners at the Maryland Death Fest later this month in Baltimore (for which it seems I have a spare ticket, should anyone want to go all-out and see 'em).

Just for saying: I would have put this on the front page. For every person that will whine about the vocals or "it's not prog!" there are always folks who will chime in with enthusiasm and genuine interest.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

It would be a pretty strange definition of prog that excluded this excellent band IMO. One of the very few metal bands I can take at all seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I've heard they have gotten mellower ala Katatonia, not for me.
    The only release of theirs I've heard post-MOT is Faustian Echoes and while it's layered I think it's far from mellower.

Looking forward to the new album.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Their soft parts, especially on "The Mantle" & "Ashes Against the Grain", remind me so much of DEATH IN JUNE. Listen for example their "A Celebration for the Death of Man" after "Fall Apart" from "The Wall Of Sacrifice" (1989) album...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I don't have their whole catalog, but it's a safe bet that one of their albums will always be in rotation at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Just for saying: I would have put this on the front page. For every person that will whine about the vocals or "it's not prog!" there are always folks who will chime in with enthusiasm and genuine interest.
    I agree - and am moving it to the front page.
    Regards,

Duncan

Excellent band. Not a goto if you are looking for something bombastic, but they have a unique bleakness to them that, when I'm in the mood, they are very satisfying.

They're not prog.

But they are pretty derivative, and (referencing another thread) that seems to be the hallmark of prog bands in the 2000s anyway, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    They're not prog.

But they are pretty derivative, and (referencing another thread) that seems to be the hallmark of prog bands in the 2000s anyway, so...
    They are the very definition of Atmospheric Black Metal.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Great band ! The first time I heard them I thought these guys were from Sweden although when I found out they were from Oregon it made perfect sense given their lyrics which make me think of people who lived in the many forests of that state living off the land in a bye-gone day. I only have The Mantle and Ashes Against The Grain but I value both highly.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Great, great band. I think that The Mantle is their best work overall but I was really impressed with Marrow of the Spirit, which was one of my top ten albums for 2010. Marrow might actually be a better starting place for people getting into Agalloch because it's a lot cleaner than their previous work (getting a proper drummer tends to do that). Plus, the lyrics were written in Transylvania for ultimate black metal street cred!

I didn't realize they had a new one coming out. I'll have to check it out.

New one on pre-order. Drops Monday.

rest in peace

https://www.facebook.com/AgallochOff...54268288083606

Following 20 years, 5 full length albums, many tours around the world, and numerous other recordings, John Haughm and the rest of the band (Don Anderson, Jason Walton, and Aesop Dekker) have parted ways. What the future holds for the separate parties remains undetermined. We collectively thank all of our fans across the world. There are also way too many other people to thank who made this band possible. You know who you are.
    a new Sculptured album may at least come soon I suppose, as a result.

That is melancholy news that fits with their music.

Listening. Gonna hit all albums proper.

FWIW the band has done some reunion shows this year, so they're not quite as "dead" as they were back in 2016. Not sure if they're going to stay reunited or not.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Listening. Gonna hit all albums proper.
    FWIW the band has done some reunion shows this year, so they're not quite as "dead" as they were back in 2016. Not sure if they're going to stay reunited or not.
    Regards,

Duncan

I had heard something about a reunion, so if we get another album, that's great news.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I had heard something about a reunion, so if we get another album, that's great news.
    I don't want to derail things here and most of it can be found online...their split-up and subsequent behavior of the main guy was problematic. Even if they reunite and do a new album, I'm not 100% sure how I feel about supporting them further. Taking a bit of a wait and see approach for now.