Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last Genesis tour with Gabriel on Wolfgangs vault

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    It's not that I don't enjoy some of them.

It's more that I just think a listener has to have a certain understanding of what he is hearing when listening to one.

But as huge as those Florida shows were when they surfaced, I far prefer something like Providence if I want to hear what the band actually sounded like at that time.

A soundboard is a different experience. It's clinical. Interesting and certainly collectible, but not necessarily a very good measuring stick of a given concert experience.

I suspect that one can look to almost any "classic" period band and it would be rare that a soundboard would be hailed as one of their top bootlegs. There's a reason for that. They often don't sound like a live concert actually sounds.
    I agree 100%, although I've noticed that there seems to be a fairly large and vocal group who strongly prefers even the most dry and clinical soundboard to even the most richly detailed audience recording. I've never understood it, but wonder if there is a correlation between that group and the one that prefers "modern" mastering techniques on studio releases.

Brian Griffin writes:
    >I suppose there may have been a degree of always wanting what you can't have : ) <

Sounds like pristine concert DVDs of this, Tales, A Passion Play, etc.

One of my all-time personal favorite Genesis recordings is from Chicago in 1977. It is a soundboard and can sound somewhat dry (esp Your Own Special Way)...but it has the best (imo) live version of Supper's Ready.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    One of my all-time personal favorite Genesis recordings is from Chicago in 1977. It is a soundboard and can sound somewhat dry (esp Your Own Special Way)...but it has the best (imo) live version of Supper's Ready.
    But Chicago '77 was recorded for radio broadcast. Even if one has the Pre-FM version, the techniques employed for these types of recordings differ a bit from soundboards simply recorded largely for self-analysis.

I thought GASP had released the raw soundboard of the Chicago '77 show; seems I recall a source came out a few years ago, that although 'clearer', seemed to lack some of the ambiance of the FM broadcast that had been previously circulating... --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    I thought GASP had released the raw soundboard of the Chicago '77 show; seems I recall a source came out a few years ago, that although 'clearer', seemed to lack some of the ambiance of the FM broadcast that had been previously circulating... --Peter
    You might be right. I have the GASP version downloaded but haven't had a chance to listen to it.

The radio broadcast was probably treated with reverb and EQ.

But I think a PRE-FM soundboard would at least typically have some audience mics, which would probably help it sound better than your average soundboard recorded just at the board. Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    You might be right. I have the GASP version downloaded but haven't had a chance to listen to it.

The radio broadcast was probably treated with reverb and EQ.

But I think a PRE-FM soundboard would at least typically have some audience mics, which would probably help it sound better than your average soundboard recorded just at the board. Not sure.
    I was always under the impression that most, if not all, of the Genesis shows (usually incomplete) made available as 'radio shows' were actually mixed from multi-track tapes, and not matrixed soundboards. Whether the version of the Shrine show on WV is the soundboard or not I cannot say - the officially release show was overdubbed multi-tracks though.

Quote Originally Posted by MR654 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the very last US show was Chicago in April of 1975 at the Arie Crown Theater and I happened to be there.
    Close! That show was February 4th. There is a decent soundboard of it, but the tape doesn't start until almost the end of "Windshield". By mid-month, they were in Oslo for the beginning of the European leg.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***