Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Cast and Premiere Date Set, No Sign of Jar-Jar Binks

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    I won't say that it's not true because who knows how many really liked/disliked the new ones but I got a totally different impression. Those that liked the old Star Trek films didn't like the new ones AT ALL. There seem to be even two groups - one consists of the old trekies who like the earlier flicks and the other defends the new ones. On the net it definitely was like that, that distinction was very apparent, at least from my reading experience. And there was/is pretty rough word exchanges about this subject.
    One thing that I can say that the first of the new movies isn't even in the same league in terms of cinematography compared to Wrath Of Khan.
    From what my friend says (and she goes to the Vegas Star Trek Convention) every year, is that the new actors (Chris Pine et al) now have the biggest lines for photos and autographs. So if the old trekies are shunning the new films, it's not that apparent. When I first met my friend she would have nothing to do with anything but "The Original" series. Most of the people that she talks to at the convention are from the group that says "anything that keeps the franchise going is good"

"anything that keeps the franchise going is good"
    There's a lot of that today. It's an argument people use with bands like YES.

I wish I could share such sentiments, but for whatever reason I don't.

I've reached a point where I'm indifferent. If it's something that I'm a fan of, like Yes, then I'll check it out and decide if I like it. If it's not something I'm interested in, no one is forcing me to buy it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    From what my friend says (and she goes to the Vegas Star Trek Convention) every year, is that the new actors (Chris Pine et al) now have the biggest lines for photos and autographs. So if the old trekies are shunning the new films, it's not that apparent. When I first met my friend she would have nothing to do with anything but "The Original" series. Most of the people that she talks to at the convention are from the group that says "anything that keeps the franchise going is good"
    On some movie sites/forums the distinction was very apparent. There are real people commenting on the net as well, I just don't know how old some of them are, sometimes the debate and the arguments are very immature.
    I have only seen a bit from one of the new ones, some episodes from the first movie made in 1979 and then Wrath Of Khan relatively recently for the first time. It was great. The third of the new Star Trek films finished filming just recently. I won't be rushing to see it, there are many other interesting movies coming out which I would rather watch.

As John Carpenter said (when asked) about all of the Halloween sequels - "Just let it go". Apparently he is not fond even of the fourth which a lot of people like. The problem is that they're sucking out life of the characters and they're using the brand, the title to get in crowds.
    Speaking about Halloween, I think that even Halloween 2 was partially crap - making Curtis character a sister of the main antagonist is total nonsense. I think Carpenter said he only did it for the money, no inspiration. I personally like 2 and 3 as slasher flicks and the third one has an awesome Carpenter score, but the story of the second is nonsense.

Carpenter's initial vision was to do a completely different story for each Halloween movie, hence Season of the Witch (the only one I can actually watch). He never wanted a string of "unstoppable slasher" flicks. I agree that Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger should go away. They tried to reboot ANoES with Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy and it bombed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've reached a point where I'm indifferent. If it's something that I'm a fan of, like Yes, then I'll check it out and decide if I like it. If it's not something I'm interested in, no one is forcing me to buy it.

A few things from a collection of posts…

I enjoyed the original Star Trek series and most of their films. I wasn't into any other Star Trek series or movies. These recent Star Trek movies are ok by me. They aren't jaw-dropping, but they are also not boring. Nothing will top Wrath of Khan, but I gladly don't have expectations that a new movie will.

I liked bits 'n pieces of the Star Wars prequels and revisiting them recently had me appreciate certain elements a tad more.

I don't fear the world is going in the shitter because 40-60 year old men will be camped out waiting for this flick. That's the way it is these days. Our generation were the ones who started those lines at movie theaters. We waited overnight for tickets to concerts. We love original Star Wars.

Parents are being able to share something that they cherished when they were young. Now, their children can experie the current hype. We ate it up in the 70s.

I don't care if this is all commissioned by Disney for their own corporate greed. People decide with their wallet. I am enjoying the excitement that friends and family have for this recent Star Wars craze. I'm having a blast! Star Wars fans are welcomed on my lawn anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Carpenter's initial vision was to do a completely different story for each Halloween movie, hence Season of the Witch (the only one I can actually watch). He never wanted a string of "unstoppable slasher" flicks. I agree that Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger should go away. They tried to reboot ANoES with Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy and it bombed.
    Well, surprise surprise...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...COND-time.html

And one more:
    http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/...pcoming-reboot

And one more:
    http://screenrant.com/friday-13th-re...release-dates/

^Yuuup! Rebootville. What a joke.

Here's one of the Carpenter interviews. The bit from around 9.45 till about 16.00 seemed to be the most interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIj9zPuafIg

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've still only seen each of the crap prequels once, and barely remember anything from them, so I'm not too jazzed about this one. Not exactly sure why people are so excited about it, really.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    As John Carpenter said (when asked) about all of the Halloween sequels - "Just let it go". Apparently he is not fond even of the fourth which a lot of people like. The problem is that they're sucking out life of the characters and they're using the brand, the title to get in crowds.
    Speaking about Halloween, I think that even Halloween 2 was partially crap - making Curtis character a sister of the main antagonist is total nonsense. I think Carpenter said he only did it for the money, no inspiration. I personally like 2 and 3 as slasher flicks and the third one has an awesome Carpenter score, but the story of the second is nonsense.
    I thought he only directed the first. I think I saw the first three or four, but can't remember anything beyond the first.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've still only seen each of the crap prequels once, and barely remember anything from them, so I'm not too jazzed about this one. Not exactly sure why people are so excited about it, really.
    They're all Adele fans.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

They lost me somewhere in the middle of a pack of Ewoks. I liked Empire Strikes Back the best, closely followed by the original. I don't think I made it through any of the prequels. Pretty sure I skipped the last two entirerly. I would enjoy a quality reboot . The Star Trek reboot worked for me,so theres hope I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I would enjoy a quality reboot . The Star Trek reboot worked for me,so theres hope I guess.
    Just to be clear, the new Star Wars films aren't reboots - they're a continuation of the existing story.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I never really got the whole Star Wars fad either. The original story-line was pretty good, but beyond that, the whole trilogy/blah blah was lame at best in my book. I want a movie with an original/compelling story to tell.

Got my tix for this Sunday.

I'm totally un-cynical about this. Very much looking forward - not to being blown away, but to be transported into another world for a few hours. That sort of escape is getting harder and harder to come by these days.

Pretty cool acapella video of the Star Wars theme by Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, and various stars of the Star Wars movie (though still no Mark Hammill):

I thought he only directed the first. I think I saw the first three or four, but can't remember anything beyond the first.
    Yes, he directed the first. Somewhere there was a rumor that he directed some scenes of the second one as he was not content with Rick Rosenthal's approach. He definitely wrote and scored the second one. The third was done by Carpenter associate and colleague Tommy Lee Wallace but Carpenter produced and scored it. It looks and sounds like a Carpenter film. After that he wasn't involved in any of the others.

The third Halloween is worth seeing at least because of these great opening titles and the score:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BICyGaJRT18

^Yes, yes it is. My favorite of the series, actually!

^Yes, yes it is. My favorite of the series, actually!
    It's mine as well It has some problems, but I like it anyway.