Thread: Austin Psych Fest

Austin Psych Fest

There are some cool bands at this. It's comin' up very soon!

Thought about going to it til I realized I already had tickets to Rosfest. Amazing lineup of just the bands I've heard of. Thre's quite a few I haven't heard of.

The upshot for us here in the midwest is that a lot of these bands are doing club shows either on their way to or from the Psychfest gig (damn, no Zombies).
    Going to see Temples tonight in fact.

Our repress of the Kikagaku Moyo debut LP will...

Impressive line-up by the way.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

That's A LOT of bands! There's at least 8 bands there I'd love to see! Hopefully some of them will play closer to home.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    That's A LOT of bands! There's at least 8 bands there I'd love to see!
    I'd love to see a whole bunch of bands that I've never even heard of here

Seems like a great event for sure, and for all the lineup acts that I actually HAVE heard of, they pretty much cover the entire psych vocabulary.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Killer line-up of the dozen or so bands I've heard of!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Are these well known bands? I haven't heard of any of them - except the Zombies. I'm only a couple hours out of Austin, but would I be likely to see any of these bands anywhere else?

Some of these bands may be touring, possibly together on the same bill. Here's a list of bands from there that I know and would love to see:

Black Angels- Saw them in 2010 with Black Mountain. They're a little reminiscent of The Doors darker sound, though they've been moving more towards poppier stuff of late.

Graveyard- Retro hard rock with a Zeppelin influence, primarily from the I and II era.

Dead Meadow- Dark, indie rock flavoured psyche with an occasional harder edge.

Earthless- Instrumental trio with a guitarist who really tears it up in a heavily Hendrix-influenced way!

Acid Mother Temple- I have yet to see these guys. Apparently their live show is powerful!

Kadavar- Loved the first album as it had heavier stoner moments. Second one seems more streamlined and uninspired.

Sleepy Sun- Band from San Francisco iirc that has that West Coast pyche feel of the 60s. Reminiscent of Black Mountain and The Besnard Lakes. Male/female vocals, can be very pastoral at times and noisy at others...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

It looks like a South by Southwest reunion. A few genuine African bands as well:

Bombino - tasty westernized electric folk from Niger. Latest album out on major label Nonesuch is very enjoyable.

Terekaft- well traveled band from Malian desert with at least three albums out. Blues-based electric based on folk melodies.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Fantastic festival - - - I have always wanted to attend this one !!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Austin Psych Fest, baby!

I hear Dixie Normous will be there.

Went to see Temples last night, highly recommended if your into retro psych like The Black Angels. I actually liked them just slightly better than a recent BA concert i went to (which is saying a lot, i love TBA's)

Here's one of their encore songs which is infectious as all hell

opening was another Psychfest band Boogarins from Brazil. Not often we get a Brazillian psych band rollin' through these parts. Most excellent.

Next week we have The Dandy Warhols and The Flamin Groovies stopping through at different venues on the same night and i can't go do to a business engagement