Thread: Newly discovered Chicago footage from 1970.

Newly discovered Chicago footage from 1970.

Very cool.. thanks for posting.. got a rain day today so I'll watch more of this later..

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Wow !! This was a energetic and spectacular performance from Chicago of one of thier greatest hits - better than the original recording -. Thanks for sharing.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Made me smile.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Man, that gave me goosebumps. The soundtrack to every band I was in during high school and college.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Damn! That Tanglewood clip is GREAT! Excellent audio, too! I love the sound from that Hohner electric piano! I always thought Lamm used a Fender Rhodes. The horn arrangements are fantastic, too! Who did them? Pankow?

So much instrumentation to pay attention to that it's easy to overlook Danny Seraphine on drums. He's tearing it up on that small kit, just like another jazzy player of the era with a small kit, Ian Paice of Deep Purple. These guys did so much with so little hardware.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

The entire performance from Tanglewood is available here :

http://www.concertvault.com/chicago/...103095176.html

those guys were very special

what a band!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

That's a good little dance combo, as my grandma would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    So much instrumentation to pay attention to that it's easy to overlook Danny Seraphine on drums. He's tearing it up on that small kit, just like another jazzy player of the era with a small kit, Ian Paice of Deep Purple. These guys did so much with so little hardware.
    Paice has always been one of my favorite drummers as well. And his cymbals always sounded perfect. Don't know if it was the selection or the recording techniques, but man, did they sound great.

I was 9-10 when the Edgar Winter song "Frankenstein" was a big hit circa 1973 (even on AM radio!) I'll never forget how much a buddy of mine and I just loved it, but I'll never forget his older brother -- who I think was in high school -- thought it was terribly pedestrian compared to REAL music: Chicago. Clearly even back then I was much more interested in prog rock instrumental music versus what I came to think of as very American pop-with-horns music. Looking back on it now I have a much greater appreciation for Chicago (especially Kath and the horn players), but growing up with all the soft hits of the 70s did their reputation no good with me.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I was 9-10 when the Edgar Winter song "Frankenstein" was a big hit circa 1973 (even on AM radio!) I'll never forget how much a buddy of mine and I just loved it, but I'll never forget his older brother -- who I think was in high school -- thought it was terribly pedestrian compared to REAL music: Chicago. Clearly even back then I was much more interested in prog rock instrumental music versus what I came to think of as very American pop-with-horns music. Looking back on it now I have a much greater appreciation for Chicago (especially Kath and the horn players), but growing up with all the soft hits of the 70s did their reputation no good with me.
    I was the same way- in the 70s I always thought they were, you know, OK... I liked the radio hits fine but never thought they were all that. Someone made me listen to the albums and my mind was blown.

Terry!!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    Yes!!! Cool to see Terry with an SG.
    A Triple p/u SG Custom. I think the guy in Fallon's band,The Roots plays one just like it. Sorry, I don't know his name right now,but that guitar is beautiful.

Terry is using one pedal, a wah-wah. Jimi's fave player was Terry and how many pedals did Jimi use on stage?