Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Didn't Glascock die of a heart attack during the recording of Stormwatch and Ian took over and played bass on most of the tracks? What's the story of Glascock's name in smaller type? I've never heard about that before.
    Not quite--he was too ill during the recording to continue with the band, so Ian took over and did most of the bass parts on Stormwatch and then hired Dave Pegg for the tour. Glascock didn't actually die until after the album was completed and the band was in the middle of a tour without him. Ian gave himself the main bass credit on the album, with the songs John played on listed separately, in smaller print, as if an afterthought. A lot of fans see this as a callous move on Ian's part.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The Jethro Tull Christmas Album came out in 2003. A great album.
    But not a "real" Tull album, by which I mean a studio album of new material. There's only an EP's worth of new Tull songs on there, the bulk of it being either remakes of old songs or traditional carols.

....never say never......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Oh, it doesn't matter to me any longer; hasn't for a while. Maybe he doesn't want to croak- uh, sing - the Tull material any more. I can't say as I see the point, myself. If I had a band that had made me a millionaire, and a few million fans that always came to my shows, I wouldn't care if it was named Fart Blizzard; I could sit in my mansion and sip a sherry quite comfortably.

I guess his ego has had enough of people saying, "Mr. Tull? Would you sign this?" My ego would say, "Certainly, dear." Then I would scribble "John Denver" on the item and be on my merry way.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Glascock's name in smaller print on the back cover & CD struck me as IA notifying everyone who reads this stuff that Glascock's input was less than the others. It was true, but was it necessary to point it out? Reminds me of kicking someone when he's down.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Not quite--he was too ill during the recording to continue with the band, so Ian took over and did most of the bass parts on Stormwatch and then hired Dave Pegg for the tour. Glascock didn't actually die until after the album was completed and the band was in the middle of a tour without him. Ian gave himself the main bass credit on the album, with the songs John played on listed separately, in smaller print, as if an afterthought. A lot of fans see this as a callous move on Ian's part.
    Ah...thanks for the clarification. I think I'm in the minority but I could never stand Dave Pegg, I didn't like his playing style and I didn't like his stage presence...especially following such strong personalities as Glascock and Jeffery Hammond-Hammond. For me, I always felt Glascock's exit was the beginning of the decline of Tull. The only album after Stormwatch that I ever listen to is Crest of a Knave...and of course Ian's TAAB2 and TAAB3
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Progressive View Post
    Well yes an embarrassment to him until he needs to generate a few dollars again.
    Afaik Ian will never "need a few dollars again". He seems to be one of the few of that rock generation that has really managed his money correctly. That's probably why he feels comfortable doing this.

Ah...thanks for the clarification. I think I'm in the minority but I could never stand Dave Pegg, I didn't like his playing style and I didn't like his stage presence...especially following such strong personalities as Glascock and Jeffery Hammond-Hammond. For me, I always felt Glascock's exit was the beginning of the decline of Tull. The only album after Stormwatch that I ever listen to is Crest of a Knave...and of course Ian's TAAB2 and TAAB3
    He's a great bass player- for some other band. I agree, he didn't have the feel that I associate with classic Tull. None of the post-Glascock players have. Same with keyboardists. And drummers. And guitarists. So... er...

He doesn't seem to mind using the name to promote the tour...

10256904_856307524385999_2085587992138054813_n.jpg

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Nooooooo! I LOVE the Seed Drill!

Oh, I thought this was a thread about the agrarian...

He's perfectly entitled to, isn't he?

I don't see anything misleading about it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I think I'm in the minority but I could never stand Dave Pegg, I didn't like his playing style and I didn't like his stage presence...especially following such strong personalities as Glascock and Jeffery Hammond-Hammond.
    I couldn't disagree more. I think Peggy was the best bass player Tull ever had. I don't know what there was not to like about his stage presence, but then I may be biased by having seen him a zillion times with Fairport Convention, where he had more license to clown around than he did with Tull. And he is a hell of a nice guy, too--very fan-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Glascock's name in smaller print on the back cover & CD struck me as IA notifying everyone who reads this stuff that Glascock's input was less than the others. It was true, but was it necessary to point it out? Reminds me of kicking someone when he's down.
    It does sound a bit declasse. Hell, even Ritchie "it's my band and I'll sack who I want to" Blackmore gave Bob Daisley equal billing on "Long Live Rock 'n' Roll". I'm sure there other examples.

I couldn't disagree more. I think Peggy was the best bass player Tull ever had. I don't know what there was not to like about his stage presence, but then I may be biased by having seen him a zillion times with Fairport Convention, where he had more license to clown around than he did with Tull.
    Technically speaking, some of his playing with Fairport is downright uncannily amazing. But then again the sheer technical prowess of many of those Fairport instrumental arrangements was staggering, fidddle and guitar notwithstanding.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I couldn't disagree more. I think Peggy was the best bass player Tull ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Technically speaking, some of his playing with Fairport is downright uncannily amazing.
    Yep, I agree- he is an outstanding bass player, probably the best technically that Tull ever had. But he was a lousy bass player for Tull. Imho, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yep, I agree- he is an outstanding bass player, probably the best technically that Tull ever had. But he was a lousy bass player for Tull. Imho, of course.
    I can see how you'd say that, but I don't actually fault Pegg. To me, Pegg's best album with Tull was A, where he was actually allowed to "let it rip" a little bit. So much more of his personality and prowess comes through on this album than his subsequent work with the band. But after that I think he was just doing what Anderson told him to do (i.e. virtually nothing), which is the fate of most of the Tull musicians post A, particularly those in the rhythm section.

As far as Tull being history, the only thing that really surprises me is that it has been made "official" by Anderson (though there's noting stopping him from changing his mind and doing a tour with Barre). Tull was dormant, and could have remained so forever with no announcement. It strikes me that he just wants to shift the focus away from the Tull of the past and onto the Anderson solo stuff of the present/future. He's probably sick of answering "so what about Tull?" questions, and this seems as good a way to dispense with that as any, but it's absolutely obvious that he will continue to ride JT's coattails with his solo album promotions and tour setlists.

So, Jethro Tull is dead, long live Jethro Tull.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    It strikes me that he just wants to shift the focus away from the Tull of the past and onto the Anderson solo stuff of the present/future. He's probably sick of answering "so what about Tull?" questions, and this seems as good a way to dispense with that as any, but it's absolutely obvious that he will continue to ride JT's coattails with his solo album promotions and tour setlists.
    I think you got that pretty much bang on, Bill.

In recent times, the only difference between JT & IA solo is whether or not Martin is on guitar. Even Doane wasn't guaranteed a gig with JT. But ever since Mick Abrahams left, it's indisputably been Ian's band anyway, so it's his call to make. Personally I love Martin Barre's playing, but the only thing stopping me from going to see IA this year is the fact that he's ignoring Glasgow, and his voice is so hit & miss these days that I won't travel any further than that to see what might be another below par vocal performance. I've seen enough of them over the last 20 years, and seen many more brilliant Tull gigs before then.

I couldn't disagree more. I think Peggy was the best bass player Tull ever had. I don't know what there was not to like about his stage presence, but then I may be biased by having seen him a zillion times with Fairport Convention, where he had more license to clown around than he did with Tull. And he is a hell of a nice guy, too--very fan-friendly.
    Cool...you say tomato I say...etc. Another interesting Tull bass player that no one seems to mention is Tony Williams. I saw Tull for 4 straight tours from '76 to '79 and Glascock was on bass for the 1st 2 and as it has been mentioned before, Dave Pegg played the Stormwatch tour in '79. But what about the '78 Heavy Horses/Bursting Out Tour? It appears Glascock played the European leg but a guy named Tony Williams played the US tour after Glascock had to drop out. Here's a shot I took from the Oakland Arena Fall '78 show...I was bummed when Tony didn't join full time as I really liked his playing and stage prowling...

Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I saw that tour and didn't even know it wasn't John at the time- thought he had just changed his look!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Williams is the bassist for the Madison Sq. Garden DVD.

He would have made a good bass player for a band that consisted of Tony Williams, bass; Tony Levin, drums; Chester Thompson, keyboards; Bill Evans, sax, etc.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 04-30-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I saw that tour and didn't even know it wasn't John at the time- thought he had just changed his look!
    Ya, he wore those same riding boots that Glascock used to wear - that Songs from the Wood/Hunting Girl look...come to think of it, Hackett wore those during the W&W tour too...anyway...

As Ian Anderson said once in a video: "nastyness"

Well, This is a major nastyness,
    I hope JT will recuperate their common sense getting back to the scene again, again, again and again...till the end.....

I´m sorry
    dealers are calling, I must go...je, je (lol)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I guess he was the Joe Palma of Jethro Tull, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I guess he was the Joe Palma of Jethro Tull, then.
    So that would make John Glascock Shemp.

Didn't Ian have some resentment/issue with Glascock being a party animal despite his heart issues?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart