Thread: Jim O'Rourke's The Visitor

Jim O'Rourke's The Visitor

I really like some of his input with Wilco, and I absolutely love Gastr del Sol's Camofleur and a couple of his solo albums as well, but this all-instrumental, one-song large composition really took my breath away on first hearing. Fahey'ian Americana, Nino Rota, Cooder and progressive rock influences in abundance.

Any other fans?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Bought this over a year a go, i liked it upon first spin.Haven't played it since.Time to revisit.

I'll second the praise for Camoufleur.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Huge fan of Camoufleur,
    So I guess I need to put my hands on this one too...

Damn, I'll have to check and see if I have this or not. I have a lot of his releases between CD and vinyl and darned if I can remember if I've got this one or not. Having said that, I really enjoy his solo work, his work in Gastr Del Sol and with Sonic Youth.

'Uncut' hears "Genesis vibes" in Jim's new album, 'Simple Songs'.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/uncut-editors...le-songs-68520

^ In an interview he gave with the Wire (IIRC) some 15 years back, he said that one of the first things he'd learned to play on getting a banjo in his teens, was the opening section of "Supper's Ready". On a friggin' banjo! I guess that reveals something - if not a lot - about the man's artistic approach to things. But as with colleague Nels Cline, O'Rourke's progressive rock roots are fairly discernable. There were obvious traces in both Camoufleur and a couple of his earlier solo albums of "song-forms", such as Insignificance and Eureka.

I'll be getting this new one too, I think. Apparently it continues his involvement with the ol' song-form.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Count me in as a fan of The Visitor. I haven't spun it in a while, though, so maybe it's time to dust it off.