Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quadrophenia gets the 5:1 treatment!

So what you are saying is...this is the blu ray audio only 5.1 mix of the original album then?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...g=thesecdis-20

thanks?

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    So what you are saying is...this is the blu ray audio only 5.1 mix of the original album then?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...g=thesecdis-20

thanks?

best
    Michael
    Absolutely and I bought it and the live concert Bluray.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Absolutely and I bought it and the live concert Bluray.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanx for that but the fact it says live in brackets is very confusing! !!

The picture is now correct, but the listing title is still incorrect. I'm just worried if their SKUs are based on the listing title, that Amazon will ship the Live Blu-Ray instead of the 5.1 studio album BluRay.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The picture is now correct, but the listing title is still incorrect. I'm just worried if their SKUs are based on the listing title, that Amazon will ship the Live Blu-Ray instead of the 5.1 studio album BluRay.
    There is only one serial number for the pure audio BR disk and one for the video BR disk. Of course I don't have a problem because I bought and have both shipping but they won't be here until late June. Go to the pure audio site and check the serial number.

Banned
    This is what my order looks like:

Placed on Friday, May 30, 2014

Quadrophenia: Live In London (Blu-ray Pure Audio)
    The Who; Blu-ray Audio
    Sold by Amazon.com LLC

$25.18

Quadrophenia: Live in London (Blu-ray)
    The Who,Chris Rule; Blu-ray
    Sold by Amazon.com LLC

$17.88

Blu-ray audio is the future of HD multichannel audio. There are releases on it which feature 9.1 352KHz/24 bit:

http://www.2l.no/pages/album/100.html

Banned
    New release date

The Who "Quadrophenia: 1973 Studio Album (Blu-ray Pure Audio)"
    Estimated arrival date: July 14, 2014 - July 18, 2014

Hello,

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

The Who "Quadrophenia: 1973 Studio Album (Blu-ray Pure Audio)"
    Estimated arrival date: July 08, 2014

The last update was 6-26. I'm not happy about this. If the Jethro Tull A Passion Play set is released on time, I'll get it before the Quadrophenia BluRay.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    "Five to one (5:1), baby
    One in five
    No one here gets out alive" - Jimbo

I have enough Quadrophenias already. The 1973 record still sounds the best to me. Actually, the 1973 concert sounded better, but I don't have a recording of that. The tin-eared-brother-in-law CD is much less impressive.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

This is the version I got last week in London -

Quadrophenia.jpg

It's a large round metal tin, contains a cardboard blu ray size case, with 5 discs -

the original 1973 album in 5.1

Blu ray of the 2013 live concert from 2013

dvd of the same concert.

2 cd's containing the complete 2013 live concert.

large circular shaped illustrated book, with all of the photos and artwork from the original album.

Small badge with the 'target' artwork

large sticker with the 'target' artwork.

The main 'target' design is made to look like a scooter headlight...it's a very nice little package.

I got it for about 85 pounds.

I liked the concert footage more than I expected to, and the 5.1 mix is good to very good. It's not quite as impressive of Wilson's recent 5.1 mix of Yes' Yes Album (which is stunning), but it is pretty good.

so, what will this sound like on stereo speakers? and how much does a quality set of 5.1 SS speakers cost?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    so, what will this sound like on stereo speakers? and how much does a quality set of 5.1 SS speakers cost?
    There are numerous factors to consider with a quality 5.1 system. Your sound can only be as good as the weakest link, but you need ALL the links in order to play it.
    In the case 5.1 BluRay, your player must have HDMI output. Most do.
    Second is a Home Theater receiver with HDMI inputs. You can find some relatively decent ones starting at about 300.00.
    Speakers are usually the weakest link. A decent set for a small to medium size room will start at about 400.00. Don't expect great bass with a 400.00 set though. Probably the most important part is speaker placement. If you don't buy tower speakers (much more expensive), you will still need to have either stands or be able to mount them on the wall in a practical position. Of course, you'll need to buy lots of speaker cable to reach the rear speakers. Running and attaching speaker cables to baseboards or behind crown molding can easily be the most difficult part of setting up a 5.1 system

Also crucial is to carefully follow the instructions for your receiver. It can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours to tweak a system just right.
    My system is only what most audiophiles would consider "mid-fi". My receiver was about 350. The BluRay player was about 325.00 I have a Oppo pre-BluRay universal player that cost 350.00 for playing DVD-Audio and SACD. My Polk system includes front towers, two 12" powered subs, a compable center channel speaker, and two bookshelf speakers on heavy duty stands for rears. I got all of these on sale at NewEgg for about 1,000.00 total. Speaker wire (nothing fancy) was about 60.00. HDMI cables can be had cheap on Amazon if you need them. I have about 4 that ran another 45.00 total.
    Oh, the glass and metal center ran another 150.00. Then the pedestal to set my 450.00 40" Samsung LED TV on so I could park the center channel speaker under it was another 70.00.

The only thing I will say here is that most cheap all-in-one systems are pretty worthless unless you follow the directions completely. Even then, they are very limited with the sound quality.

One thing most "deluxe" releases like this one have are hi-rez stereo mixes. These and all other music can be fully enjoyed with a nice pair of tower speakers and perhaps a sub.

Banned
    There are numerous factors to consider with a quality 5.1 system. Your sound can only be as good as the weakest link, but you need ALL the links in order to play it.
    In the case 5.1 BluRay, your player must have HDMI output. Most do.
    Second is a Home Theater receiver with HDMI inputs. You can find some relatively decent ones starting at about 300.00.
    Speakers are usually the weakest link. A decent set for a small to medium size room will start at about 400.00. Don't expect great bass with a 400.00 set though. Probably the most important part is speaker placement. If you don't buy tower speakers (much more expensive), you will still need to have either stands or be able to mount them on the wall in a practical position. Of course, you'll need to buy lots of speaker cable to reach the rear speakers. Running and attaching speaker cables to baseboards or behind crown molding can easily be the most difficult part of setting up a 5.1 system

Also crucial is to carefully follow the instructions for your receiver. It can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours to tweak a system just right.
    My system is only what most audiophiles would consider "mid-fi". My receiver was about 350. The BluRay player was about 325.00 I have a Oppo pre-BluRay universal player that cost 350.00 for playing DVD-Audio and SACD. My Polk system includes front towers, two 12" powered subs, a compable center channel speaker, and two bookshelf speakers on heavy duty stands for rears. I got all of these on sale at NewEgg for about 1,000.00 total. Speaker wire (nothing fancy) was about 60.00. HDMI cables can be had cheap on Amazon if you need them. I have about 4 that ran another 45.00 total.
    Oh, the glass and metal center ran another 150.00. Then the pedestal to set my 450.00 40" Samsung LED TV on so I could park the center channel speaker under it was another 70.00.

The only thing I will say here is that most cheap all-in-one systems are pretty worthless unless you follow the directions completely. Even then, they are very limited with the sound quality.

One thing most "deluxe" releases like this one have are hi-rez stereo mixes. These and all other music can be fully enjoyed with a nice pair of tower speakers and perhaps a sub.
    This is likely a topic that takes more than a post. While that Oppo is nice, it's not architecturally what I selected. I was able to buy an European model of a Pioneer DVD player which supported streaming DSD (SACD) and DVD-a over HDMI to my Pioneer receiver which incorporates excellent conversion and system calibration in a 32 bit DSP. This player was only $120. For Bluray, my PS3 (4years old) streams over HDMI to my receiver too. My receiver uses the same video up conversion as the Oppo, but can do this for all sources, including cable. HDMI is ideal, but one could go with other options for digital audio interfaces. IMO, system calibration including phase to balance the multi channels and take out some environmental coloration is very important.

Just an FYI, the Oppo I have doesn't play BluRays. If I were to recommend a BluRay player to someone who doesn't already have a very good one, it would be the Oppo BDP-103 (or the 105 if you want streaming). To be honest, I once owned a Pioneer universal player which seemed OK when it would figure out what kind of disc was playing. That usually took several minutes. It occasionally had some bad glitches. I have found the Oppos the best units for SACD, DVD-A and DTS. They also have separate CD analog outputs, so they play CDs quite well.

Banned
    Just an FYI, the Oppo I have doesn't play BluRays. If I were to recommend a BluRay player to someone who doesn't already have a very good one, it would be the Oppo BDP-103 (or the 105 if you want streaming). To be honest, I once owned a Pioneer universal player which seemed OK when it would figure out what kind of disc was playing. That usually took several minutes. It occasionally had some bad glitches. I have found the Oppos the best units for SACD, DVD-A and DTS. They also have separate CD analog outputs, so they play CDs quite well.
    I've had no problems with my converted European model, CDs play by streaming over HDMI too. It has analog outs, however the D/A conversion should only be done once, in the receiver, with a good D/A. Not sure if the Oppo still does it, but decoding of HDCD was nice, and I don't have that. Those HDCD of Joni Mitchell are marvelous, however the mastering is top knotch and without HDCD decode they sound great.

Banned
    The Quadrophenia Live in London concert is on AXS TV today.

I appreciate the feedback. If I had enough money to buy everything I need to set up the 5.1 system, I'm afraid at this point it would be spent on home repairs. Hence, I'll settle for what I have or a quality set of stereo speakers.

I watched the Quadrophenia concert yesterday, the blu-ray, and I have to say it was an excellent performance all around. There's so many emotional moments in the story that just work for me, and the footage/audio of Entwhistle and Moon that were used during the shows also put an emotional stamp on the gig.

I hesitated seeing this show when it came around, and I do regret that now.

Is there a better lyric in the Who's repertiore than "A beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world that's real..."

Great stuff, I recommend it highly. I hope to be able to listen to the full album in 5.1 later in the week.

Mike

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    I watched the Quadrophenia concert yesterday, the blu-ray, and I have to say it was an excellent performance all around. There's so many emotional moments in the story that just work for me, and the footage/audio of Entwhistle and Moon that were used during the shows also put an emotional stamp on the gig.
    I really liked those parts too. I knew the Moon "drop-in" was coming (I had seen or read about it somewhere), but the Entwistle clip was a nice surprise to me. I remember hearing about the original Quadrophenia tour problems in the seventies where backing tapes didn't work properly and messed up the vibe of many live shows. These video/audio clips are so seamlessly integrated, and the expanded band really propels the overall performance; it's amazing to think about what they were trying to deal with back then to perform this album as a quartet.

It also really grabbed me how Daltrey was captured on camera staring up at the big screen during the Entwistle and Moon clips, like he's still in awe of his bandmates and how unique they were.

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    I hesitated seeing this show when it came around, and I do regret that now.
    Me too. I had seen their Superbowl halftime on TV a few years back and thought maybe they didn't quite "have it" anymore. This performance is way above that.

I think the challenge of doing Quad live made them rise to the occasion. I saw this show and it was great. The classics at the end of the night felt tacked on in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I think the challenge of doing Quad live made them rise to the occasion. I saw this show and it was great. The classics at the end of the night felt tacked on in comparison.
    I actually appreciated that the DVD makers put the 'encore' tracks as a separate feature apart from 'Quadrophenia' itself.

I think it's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I really enjoyed "The Wall" shows that I saw in 2010, but I actually did hope a bit for some encore songs, played in the ruins of the demolished wall. But, it could have also felt tacked on, as Sean says...

Mike

I enjoyed hearing them and glad they were included even if it felt like they were going through the motions on them. It was my first Who show so I wanted to see them regardless.

Banned
    I got the blue ray audio today, cranking it up now!

Banned
    Has anybody listened to the 5.1 mix? How's the bass?

Its been 2-3 months and only spun it once but I do remember the whole thing being very tastefully done with no outrageous panning or other 5.1 gimmicry. I don't remember the bass particularly standing out but I do remember the drums sounding outstanding! In fact, better than the Tommy mix, and the drums sounded awesome on that.

I'll have to get back to it soon.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap