Thread: RSD wasn't enough: Kim's music and Video is closing

RSD wasn't enough: Kim's music and Video is closing

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...ic_closing.php

Closing this summer. Damn. This was the best of the bunch left with J&R's exit, IMO, and as a bonus they were the best RSD destination.

Another one bites the dust. When the mega-stores were closing, it was sad but seemed inevitable. This one is different, and seems to indicate that there isn't a future in NYC for record stores that take up a footprint larger than, say, 750 square feet. Sad.

Sorry to read about Kim's demise.I was an occasional peruser and buyer there over the years.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I was there for the first time in January. Nice selection of everything. This is the sad, ongoing condition of paying rent in Manhattan.
    Plus there was a shop a few doors up the street advertising CD's also. I stepped in and was literally faced with thousands of CD's and DVD's in piles to the ceiling throughout a little storefront. I made one step and several hundred fell on me, crashing to the six inches of not covered floorspace. "Don't worry about it", said the elderly manager. "We're moving, getting out of here. Y'like Abba? I got plenty!!" I left before I got killed in an avalanche of unwanted CD's.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...ic_closing.php

Closing this summer. Damn. This was the best of the bunch left with J&R's exit, IMO, and as a bonus they were the best RSD destination.

Another one bites the dust. When the mega-stores were closing, it was sad but seemed inevitable. This one is different, and seems to indicate that there isn't a future in NYC for record stores that take up a footprint larger than, say, 750 square feet. Sad.
    It sucks, but I'd have to say they had already gone downhill after moving from the St. Marks location. They seem to have tried to go more indie/mainstream since then, and unfortunately lacked the diversity that made the original store such a destination, even when there were still other like-minded places around. Kim's used to be an essential destination for me when music shopping in the early 2000s, but now I only really go in when I happen to be walking down 1st Ave on my way to the F.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    It sucks, but I'd have to say they had already gone downhill after moving from the St. Marks location.
    My view as well, but it's sad nevertheless. It was a drag as well, when Norman's--from around the corner--split for Brooklyn.

It's no doubt a sign of the sad contours of my life that, other than school, the most constant institution in my life has been "the record store." I've spent my life in record stores(!), a formative space in and refuge from a world gone mad. What course is there left.....but to die?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes