Thread: Mott the Hoople....

Mott the Hoople....

Where should I start?

Debut album with MC Escher lizard cover.

The first time I ever heard Mott was "At The Crossroads" from that album, and I thought Ian Hunter was Dylan!

Also a great instrumental cover of "You Really Got Me" on that album.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The debut album is bright one, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Debut album with MC Escher lizard cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    The debut album is bright one, sure.
    Thirded.

I caught them in '71 and my ears are still ringing. In an era of loud bands, these guys were LOUD!!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

They were a local band where I living in the early 70's. They were fairly loud but were just a whisper compared to Soft Machine.

Im a (closet) MTH fan so Im going to say start with any of them during the period they were known as Mott The Hoople, not as the abridged Mott

My personal favorite is their 1973 album called (ironically) "Mott"......

As impressive as the debut is, All the Young Dudes and Mott were their peak.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Great stuff as long as the song title begins with "All The".

Mott & The Hoople is all you need!

The off shoot band British Lions album is better than the rest as indeed is Ian Hunter's solo career as better stuff!

Great band and personal favourite of mine, as they were one of my first loves in my early to mid 70's teen years. All The Young Dudes, Brain Capers, Mott and The Hoople are favourite studio releases for me. Ian Hunter's early solo albums are good too, I just have not kept up with his later solo career, but he is still prolific and reviews are generally strong.

Their "Live" album recorded at Hammersmith and on Broadway was never off of my turntable, it has been realised on a double disc expanded version now, but I still prefer it the way I always heard it.

I saw the reunion gig at hammersmith a couple of years back, and they were still nostalgically brilliant!

I only really know the first few albums they had for CBS- their most popular period- and like them very much. I always liked Ian Hunter's laconic delivery.

Mott The Hoople, Mad Shadows, Brain Capers, All The Young Dudes, Live, plus boots of their early years. What a great band!

I'd say Brain Capers and Mott are my absolute faves, with Mad Shadows and The Hoople in second.....