Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast-worth investigation?

Well, I have Angels and Demons and Endless Signs, which are the only albums I've ever heard by them. They are incredibly similar and I got the impression way back then (early 2000's) that all their albums at the time were pretty similar, so I didn't bother with any others. This thread has rekindled my interest, and I just ordered Arsis and Vida. I had heard that they changed some members and switched to singing in Spanish. Along with the comments on here, I think I will enjoy what they've been up to. May even start working my way back through all the albums since 2002.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't even know about Vida! It's live I see, as maybe the title should have told me.

Hi!.
    I`ve been a fan of CAST for so many years now but I must admit that I lost track of them since "Originallis" from 2008. :-(

Right now I`m listening to their latest "Power and Outcome": it`s a good album, for example:
    Love the contribution that gives the violin (Roberto Izzo) to the entire sound of the band, a fresh one; Bobby Vidales, his voice, has grown as Lupita`s, his mother.
    I see that Carlos Humaràn now plays bass; good to see Antonio Bringas is still aboard: love his playing!.
    And finally, Claudio and Poncho are superb IMO!.

Really miss Kiko, Pepe Flores, Dino and Francisco ... ex-CASTores ... good friends !.

Gang: this is a good record, having a good time listening to it!.

From the past:
    - Endless Signs (1995)
    - Angels and Demons (1997)
    - A Live Experience (1999)
    - Al-bandaluz (2003)
    - Nimbus (2004)
    - Mosaique (2006)

Next step:
    Give a try to the solo works and projects of Alfonso Vidales, Claudio Cordero, Dino Brassea, Francisco Hernandez and Antonio Bringas for example but that`s another chapter I think! :-)
    Last edited by TCC; 03-21-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Also didn't know about Sands of Time (Live). If Vida isn't live, it has songs that are from previous albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ... If Vida isn't live, it has songs that are from previous albums.
    Correct JKL!

Songs:
    1. Dragon's Attack
    2. Silent War

3. Change --- this is the only new song. ---

4. Run In The Rain
    5. House By The Forest
    6. Door Of The World

What I found is that these are new versions (re-recorded) of some of their classic songs, for example:
    "Dragon's Attack" and "Run in the Rain" come from their album: "Sounds of Imagination" (1994). "Silent War" comes from their album: "Angels and Demons" (1997). "House by the Forest" and "Door of the World" come from their album:"Third Call" (1994).

The inclusion of the Gnu Quartet (cello-viola-flute) and Pepe Torres (wind instruments) makes the difference!!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

And I see Sands of Time is a live Blu-Ray.

I am another person who has lost track of Cast a bit over the years. I have all of the albums up through “Angels And Demons” with “Endless Signs” and “A & D” probably being my favorites. The production on some of those early albums leaves a bit to be desired, but the material is all good especially if you like Genesis influenced classic prog. This thread prompted me to order their most recent one. Cast has always been great live as I have seen them several times over the years, although it has been a while. Looking forward to seeing them at Progtoberfest in Chicago in the fall.

Now we`re talking!: (WoW!)
    CAST - Sinfónico y la Orquesta de Baja California.

Last edited by TCC; 03-21-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am another person who has lost track of Cast a bit over the years. I have all of the albums up through “Angels And Demons” with “Endless Signs” and “A & D” probably being my favorites. The production on some of those early albums leaves a bit to be desired, but the material is all good especially if you like Genesis influenced classic prog. This thread prompted me to order their most recent one. Cast has always been great live as I have seen them several times over the years, although it has been a while. Looking forward to seeing them at Progtoberfest in Chicago in the fall.
    Only seen them live once, at the Progfest preshow in the scary LA park in 1995. Good times!

... If Vida isn't live, it has songs that are from previous albums.
    The correct translation of Vida is Life.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    The correct translation of Vida is Life.
    Thanks, I'm aware of that. I didn't say it meant "Live," I just thought it was possible they might title a live album Vida.

BTW (everyone), since I wasn't aware of the last few Cast releases I got copies of "Vida" and "Power and Outcome." They're both quite good - somehow more enjoyable than a lot of their other albums.
    Also, I didn't realize this, but Vida's artwork is by Paul Whitehead. That, too, is somehow a bit better than a lot of the other covers he's done recently.

Thanks, I'm aware of that. I didn't say it meant "Live," I just thought it was possible they might title a live album Vida.

BTW (everyone), since I wasn't aware of the last few Cast releases I got copies of "Vida" and "Power and Outcome." They're both quite good - somehow more enjoyable than a lot of their other albums.
    Also, I didn't realize this, but Vida's artwork is by Paul Whitehead. That, too, is somehow a bit better than a lot of the other covers he's done recently.
    Pura Vida JKL!.
    An agree w/you 100%.

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Over the last couple weeks I've been checking out Cast starting with Originallis, which I liked so much I bought a copy (not cheap) on Discogs.

Since then I've also bought the following:
    Power and Outcome
    Vida
    Arsis
    Art
    Mosaique
    Nimbus

So far, every one of them has been good to great -- for me at least. Nothing boundary-pushing, but solid and enjoyable symphonic rock. And I love those keyboard sounds Alfonso Vidales tends to favor. This stuff takes me back to the good old days of listening to prog-rock as a teenager.

...Sometimes the English lyrics don't quite jive with me, but it's a small complaint. I'm wondering why I waited so long to listen to these guys!
    Last edited by aith01; 06-02-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Over the last couple weeks I've been checking out Cast starting with Originallis, which I liked so much I bought a copy (not cheap) on Discogs.

Since then I've also bought the following:
    Power and Outcome
    Vida
    Arsis
    Art
    Mosaique
    Nimbus

So far, every one of them has been good to great -- for me at least. Nothing boundary-pushing, but solid and enjoyable symphonic rock. And I love those keyboard sounds Alfonso Vidales tends to favor. This stuff me back to the good old days of listening to prog-rock as a teenager.

...Sometimes the English lyrics don't quite jive with me, but it's a small complaint. I'm wondering why I waited so long to listen to these guys!
    That pretty much describes all of their albums. Solid enjoyable symphonic rock.

Jon Neudorf
    Cast are well worth investigating. Their latest is excellent IMHO.

Jon
    Last edited by jlneudorf; 06-03-2018 at 12:03 AM.

I bought their first four or five albums after being introduced to them while patronizing a certain record show in Manhattan during the 90s. I agree with one of the above remarks that the early records are simply not recorded or produced very well. Also, the use of presets on the digital keys gets a bit tiresome. Other than that, the songwriting is decent if a little too much in the imitation Genesis vein. Things got a lot better starting around Beyond Reality. I would say that their current sound is a sizable departure from their early sound and a great improvement on it.
    Last edited by Splicer; 06-02-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I bought their first four or five albums after being introduced to them while patronizing a certain record show in Manhattan during the 90s.
    That was my introduction too.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Things got a lot better staring around Beyond Reality. I would say that their current sound is a sizable departure from their early sound and a great improvement on it.
    First time I've seen anyone say that. Thanks for posting. I may have to do some investigating now.

The best release to find Is their Lagunas De Volcanes. It’s a re-recorded tracks from their early albums all sung in Spanish. A 2 cd set from Italian label rock revelation recorded from December 1999 to February 2000.

I picked them up from the airport and drove them to Progday '96. For some reason at the time, I thought they were a Christian band although the keyboardist dispelled that notion. I had a t-shirt by them (hands in the sky) but it's long lost.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    I picked them up from the airport and drove them to Progday '96. For some reason at the time, I thought they were a Christian band although the keyboardist dispelled that notion. I had a t-shirt by them (hands in the sky) but it's long lost.
    Some of their lyrics do seam to lean towards Christianity especially on albums like "Angels And Demons".

I was quite into them in the 90s. Their first three or four albums aren’t very good, but by the time of Endless Signs they hit on just the right formula: IQ-style neo-prog sweetened with classically-styled keyboard runs. They perfected this approach on Angels and Demons, then were subjected to diminishing returns as they just began repeating the formula.

Starting with Al-bandaluz, they went in a more exploratory, and more satisfying (to my ears), direction. I am quite fond of their latest album,Power and Outcome. They have come a long way since Landing in a Serious Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Some of their lyrics do seam to lean towards Christianity especially on albums like "Angels And Demons".
    “And the visceral ignorance of Church, of irrational power without understanding the touch of God...”

I’d say less Christian and more spiritual.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Just out of curiosity how many people have the live cd a view of Cast? I have copy number 99...it’s a single live álbum from 1995 concerts.

As I noted last year, I ordered Arsis and Vida. I have to say I love them both pretty much equally. The vocals can be a bit questionable at times, mainly due to the English lyrics that are obviously not written by a native speaker. Still, I'm going to track down some of their other albums if I can and get the latest, Power and Outcome. I agree that the current band and sound of Cast is more enjoyable to me than the older 90's version (at least the two albums I have, Endless Signs and Angels and Demons, which are both good, but very much the same style/formula/whatever.....like I could literally pick either one as the one to keep and get rid of the other one without really missing anything).

Quote Originally Posted by AMP2112 View Post
    Just out of curiosity how many people have the live cd a view of Cast? I have copy number 99...it’s a single live álbum from 1995 concerts.
    It’s pretty rare - I don’t have it.