Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream - Sorcerer (2014)

Is it me or does Tangerine Dream have one of the most disjointed catalogues which makes it nearly impossible for one to discern the best versions to obtain when trying to collect their albums???

I have little interest in buying "re-recordings" and it seems that TD has passed off a number of these over the years. Perhaps if these "re-do's" were appended to a proper reissue/remaster as bonus material but to hear a 2014 version of the band noodling previously released material and then selling it as something new...well, count me out.

Isn't this a Live 2disc version?

Is the orig. soundtrack any good??

I believe Sorcerer is held in high regard by those who know TD better than I.

Upon further review, I guess technically this is a live recording although it is billed as a "2 CD re-make".

My opinion stands. Regardless of what this is, I'd be more interested if it were part of a definitive/deluxe reissue which included the original recording. Still, I think they'd get more traction on this project if the "re-make" was dropped. "Re-make" just smacks of that Phaedra Revisited that came out a while back.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spotprog View Post
    I believe Sorcerer is held in high regard by those who know TD better than I.

Upon further review, I guess technically this is a live recording although it is billed as a "2 CD re-make".
    It says it's 'live' (quotes included). Maybe live-ish like Livemiles or Ricochet.

What a relief. It's been several months since the last TD release. I was beginning to think we'd lost them.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    What a relief. It's been several months since the last TD release. I was beginning to think we'd lost them.
    http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voicesrc.htm This insanely-detailed website stopped updating in 2012. I figured Froese was still recuperating from his fall.
    I guess not.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voicesrc.htm This insanely-detailed website stopped updating in 2012. I figured Froese was still recuperating from his fall.
    I guess not.
    OMG. Glad I'm not a fan.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "Plus a disk of music recorded in the spirit of the film but never used."

Yeah , because it was recorded after the film was made!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    OMG. Glad I'm not a fan.
    Well, it wasn't exactly a secret- that Prog Love Boat thing last year had TD pull out because Froese slipped & fell on an icy sidewalk shortly before it was scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "Plus a disk of music recorded in the spirit of the film but never used."

Yeah , because it was recorded after the film was made!
    More than 30 years after it was made, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Isn't this a Live 2disc version?
    Yes.
    ‘Sorcerer 2014’ is the first ‘live’ 2CD recording from the new Virtual Eastgate Music & Arts music Theatre in Vienna. With the quality of a studio sound you will hear the remake of the original analogue version of William Friedkin's 1977 movie on the first disc.
    On the second disc you will hear material not used for the movie, but which has a strong context to the analogue spirit of the time.
    If you couldn't make it to Copenhagen for the public world premiere, you will have here the virtual theatre version of the same music. Enjoy this adventurous travel with three trucks through the Mexican jungle.
    As to why Froese keeps mining his own catalog instead of coming out with something new, I write it off to creative menopause.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yes. As to why Froese keeps mining his own catalog instead of coming out with something new, I write it off to creative menopause.
    This is something like the 7th live album since 2010, and there have been (I think) 7 studio albums. The only one I have is Finnegan's Wake, and it's pretty good. He's too prolific for me to keep up with.

Not a fan of their film music. I enjoy the long, sprawing synth pieces not the short bits that seem to have no relevence with the previous & following bits.

Creative menopause... sad, but probably true. It happens to most of us.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Yes. As to why Froese keeps mining his own catalog instead of coming out with something new, I write it off to creative menopause.
    as Dave mentioned - he's done plenty of both

having not heard any later-day TD albums (like...post-79) I often wonder if the material from the 90's and on is really that inferior to the band's "classic" work or if everyone but the mega-fans just stopped listening at some point. making matters worse a lot of the CD-era discs are 70+ minutes.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I just got two of the most recent studio TD releases: the soundtrack from Grand Theft Auto 5 (yes really) and Chandra: Phantom Ferry 2. TD seems to release at least 2-3 new studio discs a year...so technically they are FAR more creative than many other bands.

That said...lots gets released but not much stands out.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

There's possibly that, but also the fact that any re-recording that Edgar does of his old material (at least the stuff before TD had their own label) is probably going to give him a better royalty rate than the original versions. I've stories of how Oldfield, Gong, etc were screwed by Richard Branson and his stooges, I imagine Tangerine Dream were no different (though Virgin at least gave them enough of an initial advance they could buy a big Moog modular). So any recording of Sorcerer, Phaedra, etc at least allows Edgar to divert a higher percentage of green folding paper directed towards his back account from that of the fanboys.

The thing that's always driven me up the wall about this stuff is a lot of those old records were largely improvised, just as their live sets were (well, they were pre-76, anyway). Side one of Phaedra was basically just a rehearsal (which only Edgar, apparently, knew was being recorded), with the Moog modular that drifted out of tune and Chris Franke had to retune it as the performance progressed. I know people who say that's the best part of the track, and it's something that happened totally by accident.

So basically, Edgar is recreating (or trying to recreate) things that happened spontaneously and under normal circumstances wouldn't happen again, just so he can make a quick buck. It just seems...weird. Could you imagine John Coltrane or Miles Davis trying to do note-for-note recreations of one of their classic albums years or decades later?

Quote Originally Posted by spotprog View Post
    Is it me or does Tangerine Dream have one of the most disjointed catalogues which makes it nearly impossible for one to discern the best versions to obtain when trying to collect their albums???
    It's quite easy, really. For example, if you see this: "Tangram – [CD] (1980/1994/2008)" then you want to avoid the most recent reissue (2008) because that's the one Edgar ejac'd all over with a bunch of unnecessary sonics (tangentizing is what we call it).

More like retirement funding. Tangerine Dream's recorded plenty of new music, too, but it seems the re-do's are better-advertised. Really sad that Sorcerer finally got subjected to this. I fear Thief is in Edgar's crosshairs now.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    as Dave mentioned - he's done plenty of both

having not heard any later-day TD albums (like...post-79) I often wonder if the material from the 90's and on is really that inferior to the band's "classic" work or if everyone but the mega-fans just stopped listening at some point. making matters worse a lot of the CD-era discs are 70+ minutes.
    Well, I haven't heard every single album. After the Virgin era, I think the only albums I have are Poland and LiveMiles. I have the concert video they put out in the early 90's, Three Phase or whatever it was called, the one with that ridiculous Purple Haze cover on it. The best thing is it the track where Edgar straps on the guitar and plays a vintage style guitar solo, accompanied by what looks like home movie footage from the 77 US tour, complete with Laserium visuals. The rest of it was...not too impressive to my ears.

I remember at one point, I was posting regularly on the Tadream Yahoogroup, and I remember someone complaining about those who insist that TD had "lost it". The guy's comment was something like "Oh, if you don't like what they were doing in 1992, well that was 10 years ago, they've changed and evolved since then". But whenever I "checked in" on the new stuff, it still remained unimpressive. I think the one exception was one of the Hiroshima/Nagasaki "seasons" albums from some years back. I forget which one it was I heard on Youtube or wherever it was, but it sounded..."not bad". It was no Rubycon but it beat the pants off anything I'd heard from the band since 1988.

I'm not sure if it's that the newer stuff is "inferior", I suppose that's a matter of taste. I mean, there's people who actually like Kenny G's twaddle, right? Maybe it's just that it's significantly different enough that those who are ga-ga about Encore, Stratosfear, Logos, etc weren't feeling it. Me included. (shrug)

But I think you're correct that after awhile, a lot of us just stopped paying attention. There's just too damn much music coming from all corners of the globe to wait around for Edgar Froese to stop futzing around. For that matter, there's too many people around making music that's more connected to the old TD than what Edgar does now. I'm more excited about whatever Radio Massacre International are doing these days than I am about TD.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It's quite easy, really. For example, if you see this: "Tangram – [CD] (1980/1994/2008)" then you want to avoid the most recent reissue (2008) because that's the one Edgar ejac'd all over with a bunch of unnecessary sonics (tangentizing is what we call it).
    The best thing to do with the Virgin era albums is to just buy the two boxsets that came out that have the original versions of the albums, plus the single edits (yes, there were TD singles back in the 70's, believe it or not) and one or two radio promos I believe. No fuss, no muss.

The difficult thing to discern is which versions of the pre and post Virgin albums to get. For instance, there's at least one version of Poland that has one track edited so they could fit the entire double album onto a single CD. And the first four albums, I'm always hearing different reports about which remastering is supposed to be the best (and yeah, the most recent versions of the Ohr albums have bonus tracks, but most of that stuff I already have in my bootleg collection).

Unlike the Phaedra 2005, Tangram 2008 & Hyperborea 2008 releases that I've only heard on youtube, this one's a live performance, so at least it's not just Big Ed adding anachronistic synths all over 'em. GuitarGeek's advice - ditto.

I'm more excited about whatever Radio Massacre International are doing these days than I am about TD.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The rest of it was...not too impressive to my ears.
    QED

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The difficult thing to discern is which versions of the pre and post Virgin albums to get. For instance, there's at least one version of Poland that has one track edited so they could fit the entire double album onto a single CD. And the first four albums, I'm always hearing different reports about which remastering is supposed to be the best (and yeah, the most recent versions of the Ohr albums have bonus tracks, but most of that stuff I already have in my bootleg collection).
    It's best to consult a site like http://www.discogs.com/ for track times. I have Esoteric's remaster of Alpha Centauri with "Ultima Thule 1/2" and "Oszillator Planet Concert" and it's sweet.

Speaking of boots, Electronic Orgy was a mondo 4-disc'er that came out in the late '90s that collected every B-side and EP and unofficial track (from a variety of sources, so it wasn't sonically consistent), including the three solo cuts by Baumann, Franke and Froese from the '70-'80 LP boxset.