Thread: Robert John Godfrey - Fall of Hyperion

Robert John Godfrey - Fall of Hyperion

Always interested in a Charisma release...Should Enid fans have this???

Don't expect the Enid sound on this one. This Album contains hardly any rock elements, and you have to like
    the vocalist (matter of taste).

The overall sound is somewhat sweet and sticky, but without getting tasteless.

It often reminds me more of a Wakeman album than of The Enid.

I tend to like it, just not every day.

An Enid Fan should definetely get it as it has the early seeds of what would become the classic Enid sound. If you want it on cd it is now officially available through the bands website:

http://www.theenid.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The overall sound is somewhat sweet and sticky, but without getting tasteless. It often reminds me more of a Wakeman album than of The Enid.

I tend to like it, just not every day.
    Except that Godfrey is (at least) twice the composer than Wakeman. As far as the sweet-close-to-sticky antic is concerned, Godfrey was already firmly rooted in post-modern aesthetics and almost certainly intended for the "vulgar" to appear - if not exactly emerge - somewhere at the end of the tunnel.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I like it as an historical document and the glimpse of what would eventually follow. Any "rock" that is present is rooted in the pastoral but this is dominated by a more classical element.

For me, an appeal of The Enid is its "Englishness" (the pastoral sounds) and "...Hyperion" seems to have more of a European flair, if that makes any sense.