Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headphones

I have the Senheiser 650 HD
    the mids are fair
    the highs are slightly hyped
    the botom end lacks a bit for my taste

I switched from Sennheisers to Focal Spirit Professional! They sound really good, well balanced and very detailed, but I'm still learning how to mix with them. They are good for tracking too as they are closed headphones.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I also have the Sennheiser HD650s. I also have the Sennheiser HD595s. The 595s are more comfortable, as the 650s tend to squeeze my slightly large head.
    The sound of the 650s is exceptional in my opinion. I personally feel that the bass is very full and clean without causing the excessive pressure waves from large closed back cans. The mids and highs are very smooth and the sound stage is spectacular for headphones.
    If you ask me if the 650s are worth twice the cost of the 595s, I'd have to say no. The law of diminishing returns really kicks in with the 595s.
    Regardless, the 650s are absolutely sublime with high resolution material. Last night I listened to Jon Serrie's Ixlandia with them. No special other equipment, just a Yamaha CD player and a Pioneer Home Theater receiver headphone jack. The receiver does have a Direct output, which tends to make the headphones sound cleaner.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentums I got for $180 that are great
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Still enjoying these, and I paid $15 more.

I'm uploading hi-def/hi-res files from hdtracks.com to the Onkyo HF Player app on my iPhone listening via an Oppo HA-2 headphone amp/D-A converter via Oppo PM-3's planar magnetic headphones. As I listen on my bus commute a good hour + a day, I reward myself with some hi-end FLAC listening but mostly Apple Lossless 16/44.1 transfers of my 30 years of CD buying.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I'm uploading hi-def/hi-res files from hdtracks.com to the Onkyo HF Player app on my iPhone listening via an Oppo HA-2 headphone amp/D-A converter via Oppo PM-3's planar magnetic headphones. As I listen on my bus commute a good hour + a day, I reward myself with some hi-end FLAC listening but mostly Apple Lossless 16/44.1 transfers of my 30 years of CD buying.
    Wow. I hope no mugger demands to have your headphones. Those cans are EXPENSIVE!

Just got a pair of Audio‑Technica ATH M50X. Super flat response and sound great in my studio. Best headphones I've ever had but that's not saying much as I used to be most-apt to only plop down $75-100 on phones.

I am now saving money to purchase Skullcandy Hesh 2 headphones .

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sometimes when I see someone wearing Beats headphones, I like to say "Oh, I didn't know Bloomingdale's made headphones!"

Beats logo:

Bloomingdale's logo:

I'm sure they appreciate this harmless jape.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Sennheiser HD 598. Completely open -so no isolation, but exceptionally balanced. Not destined for iPods, mobile phones or laptops though, you need a good source to extract the best out of them.
    I picked these up last winter on sale. Very natural sound. Replaces my old Sennheisers.

I need a new pair of noise canceling headphones, but it seems like they’re all Bluetooth and cordless now. WTF? I want to listen to CDs on a portable CD player, and maybe an iPod.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Amazon seems to have plenty of Noise Canceling Headphones Wired options, but others will need to chime in with opinions as to whether they're any good.

Sony MDRZX110NC Noise Cancelling Headphones have 1,950 Amazon user reviews, average 4 out of 5 stars, $30

OneOdio Adapter-Free Closed Back Over-Ear DJ Stereo Monitor Headphones have 2,098 Amazon user reviews, average 4.5 stars out of 5, $32.99

Edifier H840 Audiophile Over-The-Ear Headphones have 717 Amazon user reviews, average 4.5 stars out of 5, $39.99

Sony MDR 7506 headphones in my home studio. Love them, especially since they have soft cushions for the ears.
    The ear covers do wear down affecting the sound after a couple of years, but you can buy replacement covers and you're good to go again.
    I like the sound and they're light and very comfortable.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I use a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50, very happy with them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks. It’s a bit alarming though how wireless headphones seem to be quickly replacing wired, as though all audio equipment has Bluetooth. So not only do we need to “stock up” on portable CD players (and tuners!), but on headphones too.

RE Audio Technical headphones, I’ve had bad experiences with them. When they work they’re good, but the wires and switches are unreliable.

There’s an adapter made by SHG for devices like CD Walkmans that fit into the 1/8” headphone jack that provides Bluetooth capability if such a thing interests you. About $10.
    Wireless headphones are definitely taking over. I resisted for a long time. Then I got a set of Sony WH1000MX3 and they’ve been stellar. I don’t use them for critical listening at home, but for commuting, our open office plan and day-to-day walking around, they sound pretty great. Plenty of punch, detail and great noise cancellation. YMMV etc.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

What’s the range on a pair of Bluetooth headphones? When I Bluetooth my iPad to my big stereo, it has to be within sight and within about 20’.

Plenty of wired headphones available (though most are probably not noise-canceling?) on the various music equipment sites like Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, etc. Hard to believe those are going to change over to Bluetooth anytime soon, but who knows.
    <sig out of order>

Anybody tried Audeze ? (or had the money to own them?)

like .... LCD-4Z

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    What’s the range on a pair of Bluetooth headphones? When I Bluetooth my iPad to my big stereo, it has to be within sight and within about 20’.
    Depends on the class of the device. Class 1 are the most powerful and can operate up to 100m (330ft), Class 2 (the most common kind for computer peripherals, headphones and other personal electronics) operate up to 10m (33ft), and class 3 (usually used in cars) are the least powerful and don't go much beyond 1m (3.3ft). Line of sight is certainly helpful, and being on the other side of a steel-reinforced concrete wall or beam definitely hinders performance.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    What component in your stereo has Bluetooth? Or are you using some adapter to transmit via BT?

Adapter (Bluetooth receiver). I beam Pandora from the iPad to it.

I'm a die hard wired, passive headphone user. I don't want to be stuck on the bus/train to/from work, and realize I forgot to charge my wireless and/or noise canceling phones.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama