Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    As someone who posted hundreds of suggestions for the PA, including some of the most important young bands today that were at the time when I suggested them (for PA database) completely unknown bands with a self-released online debut album on Bandcamp, I'd love to be wrong in this case!
    However, there is no other explanation for rejections of the bands - for PA "prog-related" section - like the Tubes, the Grateful Dead (they must be in that section due to, at least, Blues for Allah which is *progressive* album par exellence) Steve Miller Band (at least due to Children of the Future and Sailor) and many others. Sadly but it really seems to be true that anglocentrism rules that always hazy top of Mount Olympus where progarchives' prog-gods are sitting and shitting.
    And yes, only I had the guts at the PA to say it to the self-proclaimed prog-gods in the face.
    You're posting on an Internet forum under a pseudonym. That isn't having guts.

You were smacked down on PA for your attitude, and quite rightly so. You brought a baseball bat to a pillow-fight.

Some of the pieces from their debut were Zappa oriented . I'm not sure if it's ever been remastered, but it would be a worthy cause for sure. I have increase the volume to hear the instruments. It's the only recording I own by The Tubes. When I bought it on LP in the 70's , I got the impression that the darkness of it was the progressive side to Glam Rock or whatever Glam was evolving into. A few songs were reminiscent of David Bowie's writing , for example.,."Boy Crazy" reminded me of something Bowie would have written around the Diamond Dogs period. "White Punks On Dope" had a choir on board at the end..... it was an adventurous album.

When I discovered The Tubes (especially their first album) I thought they sounded a bit like the first album from Crack The Sky, although The Tubes was more over the top at times.
    I have the LP's and the first album + Young And Rich as a 2-on-1 (Acadia/Evangeline, 2003) plus Young And Rich + Now as a double-album (Real Gone Music, 2012).

Iguana - I have no clue where you found that interview, but I was at that show in Kalamazoo MI! It was at the "Taste Of Kalamazoo" festival downtown Thanks for posting, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Iguana - I have no clue where you found that interview, but I was at that show in Kalamazoo MI! It was at the "Taste Of Kalamazoo" festival downtown Thanks for posting, very cool.
    as i said, on a serious TUBES binge now, trawling the interwebs ;-)> enter “the tubes live” or such on youtube and these actually popped up as prime suggestions on the right … you are very welcome, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    When I discovered The Tubes (especially their first album) I thought they sounded a bit like the first album from Crack The Sky, although The Tubes was more over the top at times.
    I have the LP's and the first album + Young And Rich as a 2-on-1 (Acadia/Evangeline, 2003) plus Young And Rich + Now as a double-album (Real Gone Music, 2012).
    Yes the first Crack The Sky album is a good comparison.

Great band. Always enjoyed their music throughout the years.
    The Prog Corner

love the tubes. got into them from todd rundgren so remote control is my favorite followed by love bomb. love bomb side 2 is probably my favorite a side long suite (not prog related?) that always gets me going.

I'm surprised that "Young & Rich" doesn't get more love in this thread. I've seen it mentioned, but I'm stunned it's not heralded as their best and most prog release....some of those songs are stunning and having Ken Scott as producer is icing on the cake....of course the first one is great, but I thought this one kicked it up a notch...
    Last edited by Canvas; 01-24-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    www.canvasproductions.net

Big Tubes fan here, though for me it's very much the Remote Control - Love Bomb era over the earlier stuff, with the former being a criminally-underappreciated gem, imho. Smart, sardonic, melodic, quirky, and fantastically arranged and performed - what's not to love??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Some of the pieces from their debut were Zappa oriented. (...)
    I agree. And the same music direction can be heard also on their excellent live album What You Do You Want From Live (1978)
    Last edited by Svetonio; 01-29-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I remember (in the UK) the huge hype back in the late 70s of this band and their outrageous/depraved/disgusting (depending on which newspaper you read) stage show, and when they finally arrived it was all a bit "what's all the fuss about?".
    Yea, British audience used to be blasé sometimes but the fact is that The Tubes really had an unique theatrical show in which they were put in a lot of effort; that was a great show for its time and nobody could deny that.

Just as a decor...

Remote Control is one of the best albums with which Todd Rundgren has been associated, imo. Fee Waybill made a solo album, with members of Toto, called Read My Lips and it is pretty good as I remember.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

here's another quite recent and very insightful one from the meister himself, shot on my home turf. gotta love 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Canvas View Post
    I'm surprised that "Young & Rich" doesn't get more love in this thread. I've seen it mentioned, but I'm stunned it's not heralded as their best and most prog release....some of those songs are stunning and having Ken Scott as producer is icing on the cake....of course the first one is great, but I thought this one kicked it up a notch...
    "Young and Rich... Everything i desire.... Filling every room... Everything i need.... and maybe some more things i don't need, ya know?"

Classic. I love all of their albums, with the early ones being especially loved. Remote Control is brilliant (as was the show) and even the Foster things had stuff to recommend on (The Woman of Wongo/Tip of My Tongue one-two punch on Outside/Inside is just brilliant). Big fan here
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

The DVD "Wild West Show" (2005), originally from a 2004-show, was recently rereleased as double CD/DVD under the title "Bondage At The Bush".

This is the Spaghetti Overture:

and the track Life Is Pain:

Quite different from the Live At Musikladen-DVD (a 1981-concert):

If that '81 show was two years earlier, I'd buy it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Nothing earlier than '81?

I'll stick with my memories of '76, thankewveymush.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Tubes provided me a lot back in the good old 20th Century -- including a lot that all you Rundgren lovers would have liked. I saw...

What I believe was the first Tubes backing Rundgren live performance, Oct, 1980, Bimbos, SF. Included also in the show were Tubes off-shoot bands:
    The Boring Squares (feat Michael Cotten)
    Leila & The Snakes (Pearly Gates, Jane Dornacker)
    The Tong (Mingo Lewis)
    Utopia Lovers: M. Frog (Jean Yves) LaBat also did a wacky solo performance there that night ...

I also saw the Tubes back Rundgren at the Jane Dornacker memorial show at the Warfield, SF, in 1986. That night everybody from Carol Doda, Sam Kinison, members of the G. Dead, members of the Jefferson Shuttle-plane, and all sorts besides performed at this gig.

I also saw the first public attempt for the Tubes to play stuff from the Young And Rich album at a weird gymnasium show at Foothill College in Los Altos, CA, in April, 1976. The motorcycle scene with "Don't Touch Me There" was unforgettable.

During the 1970's one of my friends was a team mate of Fee on several softball teams -- I used to get regular reports on these...

At a 1980 Tubes garage sale in SF, I acquired a BOSS distortion pedal, weird design, never seen anything else like it. I still use it in my own gear set-up.

TUBES -- COOL, yeah.

For quite some time a couple of their early albums where hard to find, but now you have all five in one box "The A&M Albums": https://www.discogs.com/The-Tubes-Th...lease/11158972

WANT!!!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.