Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joni Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Update: I finally got to hear Turbulent Indigo and was surprised at how good it is. Certainly much better than the batch of albums that preceded it. "Sex Kills" is a killer of a song. And her cover of "How Do You Stop" is excellent, giving James Brown a serious run for his money.
    It is quite good, but it's pretty dark and depressing. Just sayin'!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    It is quite good, but it's pretty dark and depressing. Just sayin'!
    I know. That's also true of Shine. At least she is depressed about things that matter, instead of moaning about how her man's done her wrong or how she's done her man wrong, etc.

I think she must have realised on Shine that it all sounded terribly Dystopian, and on the last two tracks she seems to be trying to sound a note of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Blue (desert island disc)
    Where have I heard that before. Oh, yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Blue is a desert island disc for me.
    Great minds, and all that.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Shadows And Light was listed as one of my ATF Live albums on that thread. There isn't one song on that live album that I don't vastly prefer to the studio version.

Also, Court and Spark, Blue, Chalkmark in a Rainstorm
    It's a spoonerism

Suspended
    Just listening now to Shine, which I received in the mail today.

I am amazed at how good it is. There are not that many artists who have released a string of albums over a period of about 40 years, where you can say the first and the last compare favourably with one another. As a matter of fact I can't think of another artist whose output has been as consistent. There are three or four albums she made during the 80's that I don't think are all that great - but even those, each of them has at least a couple of excellent songs.

Something else, too. The Shine CD is a great physical product. Attractive artwork, clearly legible printed lyrics, even the CD disc itself has an interesting piece of art, which I have yet to figure out what it represents. Artists who moan that people are downloading their music for nothing or next to nothing, instead of buying the album, should perhaps take a lesson from this. I believe that if people get some sort of pleasure from the physical product that they don't get from the download, they will pay for it.

Rhino has released a 5-disc box set : Joni Mitchell Archives, vol.1 : The early years (1963-1967)

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...thful-artistry

A1KSzvSRE-L._SL700_.jpg

https://www.horizonsmusic.co.uk/prod...ll-songbook-cd

This may not be to everyone's taste - but I think that it is a beautiful engagement with Joni's musical legacy. In contrast to Herbie Hancock's ill-conceived River: The Joni Letters, Colin Steele's record captures the distinctive melodic core of Joni's music. In doing so, however, he doesn't simply mimic, or reproduce, her music - this is a genuine conversation, & Steele brings his own, characteristic, melodic sensibilities to bear on Joni's music, sensibilities shaped both by players such as Kenny Wheeler & Chet Baker, but also the Scottish folk tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    https://www.horizonsmusic.co.uk/prod...ll-songbook-cd

This may not be to everyone's taste - but I think that it is a beautiful engagement with Joni's musical legacy. In contrast to Herbie Hancock's ill-conceived River: The Joni Letters, Colin Steele's record captures the distinctive melodic core of Joni's music. In doing so, however, he doesn't simply mimic, or reproduce, her music - this is a genuine conversation, & Steele brings his own, characteristic, melodic sensibilities to bear on Joni's music, sensibilities shaped both by players such as Kenny Wheeler & Chet Baker, but also the Scottish folk tradition.
    Listening to samples now - sounds nice. Have to admit, though: I can think of many adjectives to describe the Hancock Joni tribute, but "ill-conceived" would definitely not be one of them.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^^ Sounds like Jan Hammer on one of the tracks. In the liner notes she mentioned he was involved in the album at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Wow! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Today "Don't Interrupt the Sorrow" came up on my Walkman, and I just had to switch off my customary shuffle mode and play the whole Hissing of Summer Lawns album. And I came to the conclusion that "The Jungle Line" may just be the best lyrics by anyone ever. The whole album, really, has the most incredible poetry. And those arrangements! Sheer brilliance.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I agree. I get on Joni Mitchell binges, and was listening to Blue, which is one of my favorite albums by her. But there's little she's put out that I don't enjoy with the exception of Shine (which maybe someday will click with me). As she started gettinig out of her folk, singer songwriter stage she started getting more complex arrangements.

There's a new Joni Mitchell Archives #3 coming out soon. This set is an intimate and revelatory spotlight on joni’s prolific peak from 1972-1975, which included her most comercially successful album, Court and Spark, and single “Help Me.” The Set Includes Sessions with Graham Nash, James Taylor, Neil Young and the Santa Monica Flyers, & Tom Scott and the L.A. Express Never-Before-Heard Demos, Early and Alternate Versions of Classic Songs, and Historical Performances. Plus A Gorgeous 40-Page Photo Book and Liners Informed by Conversations with Joni and her Friend Cameron Crowe.
    Last edited by hippypants; 10-06-2023 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I agree. I get on Joni Mitchell binges, and was listening to Blue, which is one of my favorite albums by her. But there's little she's put out that I don't enjoy with the exception of Shine (which maybe someday will click with me). As she started gettinig out of her folk, singer songwriter stage she started getting more complex arrangements.

There's a new Joni Mitchell Archives #3 coming out soon. This set is an intimate and revelatory spotlight on joni’s prolific peak from 1972-1975, which included her most comercially successful album, Court and Spark, and single “Help Me.” The Set Includes Sessions with Graham Nash, James Taylor, Neil Young and the Santa Monica Flyers, & Tom Scott and the L.A. Express Never-Before-Heard Demos, Early and Alternate Versions of Classic Songs, and Historical Performances. Plus A Gorgeous 40-Page Photo Book and Liners Informed by Conversations with Joni and her Friend Cameron Crowe.
    Great set...got it today...it's bit expansive but Volume 1 and 2 were put together with great taste and I am looking forward to discover the tracks of Volume 3 and read her comments...and the Boxes look great in the shelves
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Just bought it, can't wait; my favorite period, though I enjoy almost everything of hers.

I've been sleeping on these archives sets but I listened to the "piano suite" demo of multiple Court and Spark songs played as one long piece, which is a stunner.

Definitely the best Archive series set so far.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer