Thread: Questions about new vinyl releases

Questions about new vinyl releases

I'm hoping someone here can answer some questions about the new releases that have been cropping up in vinyl:

1. Do the old recordings all use new remastered versions transferred onto the pressings or are they flat from master tapes or what do they do? If some are done differently, which ones?

2. Do the new vinyl albums of new recordings done differently than the CD releases or is it nothing more than the CD transferred onto vinyl?

3. How do they sound to your ears?

I'm thinking of buying some of the 180 gram vinyl albums and basically want to know if you think it is worth it and if some are worth it but others aren't. Robin Trowers Bridge of Sighs and Yes Topographic Oceans and Relayer are so enticing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I'm hoping someone here can answer some questions about the new releases that have been cropping up in vinyl:

1. Do the old recordings all use new remastered versions transferred onto the pressings or are they flat from master tapes or what do they do? If some are done differently, which ones?

2. Do the new vinyl albums of new recordings done differently than the CD releases or is it nothing more than the CD transferred onto vinyl?

3. How do they sound to your ears?

I'm thinking of buying some of the 180 gram vinyl albums and basically want to know if you think it is worth it and if some are worth it but others aren't. Robin Trowers Bridge of Sighs and Yes Topographic Oceans and Relayer are so enticing to me.
    1. BOTH depending on the company/label etc. Unfortunately not all companies state which sources. Some labels though(such as Friday Music) take everything from original masters.

2. From my understanding, usually there are different tweaks from either master for vinyl

3. Personally, I have both vinyl done from original masters and ones taken from digital masters and to my ears they're both GREAT usually. The Beatles LP's for example are taken from the 2009 digital masters and are terrific as are many other LP's but I also have things like Al Stewart Year Of The Cat and others which are from the original tapes and they sound real good too. The new Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is also from the original tapes and sounds great. the thing to remember with this kind of thing is that the farther back you go, the more wear and tear there is on masters, so as the sound quality on "original" master tapes declines, it's possible that that in itself is no longer the best source. It's quite possible that, for example a remaster of a Jimi Hendrix album on CD that was put out in 1992, might be better than taking it from the master today which is now 22 years older and must be in worse shape than it was.

The other question is when the labels claim that it's taken from the "original" master, is it REALLY from the original???? I have a hard time believing that(just as an example again) the owners of Jimi Hendrix's masters would actually ship the "original" tapes to Holland to the Music On Vinyl label for their use. Maybe a safety copy yes and then you get into the grey area of what original tape it is. Just sayin'.

In general, I am really impressed with new vinyl no matter what label I've bought from so far as to the "sound" although there certainly are some vast differences regarding the pressings.

Vinyl is magic. Even old cassettes and 8-tracks sound GREAT when dubbed to vinyl.

I'm in the process of converting all my crappy old CDs to vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    1. BOTH depending on the company/label etc. Unfortunately not all companies state which sources. Some labels though(such as Friday Music) take everything from original masters.

2. From my understanding, usually there are different tweaks from either master for vinyl

3. Personally, I have both vinyl done from original masters and ones taken from digital masters and to my ears they're both GREAT usually. The Beatles LP's for example are taken from the 2009 digital masters and are terrific as are many other LP's but I also have things like Al Stewart Year Of The Cat and others which are from the original tapes and they sound real good too. The new Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is also from the original tapes and sounds great. the thing to remember with this kind of thing is that the farther back you go, the more wear and tear there is on masters, so as the sound quality on "original" master tapes declines, it's possible that that in itself is no longer the best source. It's quite possible that, for example a remaster of a Jimi Hendrix album on CD that was put out in 1992, might be better than taking it from the master today which is now 22 years older and must be in worse shape than it was.

The other question is when the labels claim that it's taken from the "original" master, is it REALLY from the original???? I have a hard time believing that(just as an example again) the owners of Jimi Hendrix's masters would actually ship the "original" tapes to Holland to the Music On Vinyl label for their use. Maybe a safety copy yes and then you get into the grey area of what original tape it is. Just sayin'.

In general, I am really impressed with new vinyl no matter what label I've bought from so far as to the "sound" although there certainly are some vast differences regarding the pressings.
    Thanks, you've pretty much answered all my questions as well as I expected them to be answered. I wasn't going to buy a lot of new vinyl releases, just a few that stick out as my all time favorite recordings.

Thanks, you've pretty much answered all my questions as well as I expected them to be answered. I wasn't going to buy a lot of new vinyl releases, just a few that stick out as my all time favorite recordings.
    Even though prices are high, right now quality and attention to it are really good on vinyl. I'm a bit worried about what may happen if it goes really big again as
    prices on new vinyl decline. So, picking up your favourites now on great pressings is kind of what I'm doing as well. I'm also picking up some that come with a free CD or download as I can enjoy them here at the store and at home if I choose. The Jason Lytle album was a good example. My wife really likes Grandaddy so I kept the LP at the store and she's enjoying the CD at home.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Vinyl is magic. Even old cassettes and 8-tracks sound GREAT when dubbed to vinyl.

Interesting analysis

I'm going to convert Rcarlberg to a digital format, have it transfered to the worst piece of vinyl I can find, have that transfered to the worst cd my cat has been playing with then upload it into outer space.
    The older I get, the better I was.

As already stated, it's down to the individual label. Some do a fantastic job, and others are complete garbage. The best bet is just to do some research on specific titles - either asking here or at the Hoffman forums is a good litmus test to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I'm going to convert Rcarlberg to a digital format, have it transfered to the worst piece of vinyl I can find, have that transfered to the worst cd my cat has been playing with then upload it into outer space.
    The only obstacle I'm finding is difficulty in locating 180-gram LP-R blanks. Does anybody know a good source?

The only obstacle I'm finding is difficulty in locating 180-gram LP-R blanks. Does anybody know a good source?

http://youtu.be/ytZmjGyqLGI

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Oh oh Rcarlberg my friend. Your in trouble.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Contact here

http://www.vinylrecorder.com/blanc.html
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS