Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball 2012 Offseason - The Long Wait

Two unrelated, but equally true, sentences, I think.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The Yankees have already said that they would pay a large portion of his contract should they trade him.
    There has been no official statement at all like that. They have said they would listen to anyone about any player. They have also stated that they expect him to be in the lineup next year. (Of course they would say that either way.)

Arod can still be productive, if he can get his bat speed up. He needs to make some adjustments, just like any player who is aging.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There has been no official statement at all like that.
    Why would there have to be? It's a common practice. The Yankees consider trading A-Rod to be one of their primary offseason priorities. They don't know if they can find a suitable trade situation, but they're trying. The Yankees will be principally trying to get a deal done with the Marlins, as A-Rod has apparently already given his consent to be sent there (he is from Miami).

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The Mets greatest need is a new manager.

I hear Ozzie Guillen is available.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

THE METS FINALLY DECIDED TO EAT THE REST OF JASON BAY'S HORRIBLE CONTRACT MAKING HIM A FREE AGENT! THE MONEY WILL DEFFERED! GOOD RIDDANCE!
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

The Phillies have so many needs: Third Base, Center Field, maybe one of the corner outfield spots, a good utility infielder, lotsa bullpen needs...

Many needs sounds a lot like the Blue Jays, too. Starting pitchers, 2nd base, LF for sure. I wonder if Greinke likes Toronto?

Quote Originally Posted by PindralProgger View Post
    Free Agents? Heck we just want a manager!

That also sounds like the Blue Jays since they traded their manager to the Red Sox. (Addition by subtraction). There hasn't been much buzz about the job, either.
    There's nowt so queer as folk

Who would have thought? Saatuk posts back-to-back.

The Blue Jays just signed Maicer Izturis to be 2nd baseman. 3 yrs and an option at 3 million per year.

So Brian Kinney made a pretty convincing argument last night on Clubhouse Confidential for Trout to be MVP.

He showed lots of numbers and, man, I like lots of numbers.

And Trout is impressive defensively and offensively. And the Angels actually won more games than Les Tigres. Trout's WAR is higher, the pitching is better in the AL West. Trout scored more runs, played less games.

But he forgot this:

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    So Brian Kinney made a pretty convincing argument last night on Clubhouse Confidential for Trout to be MVP.

He showed lots of numbers and, man, I like lots of numbers.

And Trout is impressive defensively and offensively. And the Angels actually won more games than Les Tigres. Trout's WAR is higher, the pitching is better in the AL West. Trout scored more runs, played less games.

But he forgot this:

I actually looked forward to reading the daily stats on Mike Trout. He is one of those players that just seems to impress everyday you see him on highlights even moreso than Bryce Harper who is quite exciting in him part as well.

Should Trout win I wouldn't be surprised as he did play well for The Angels and he did resurrect the team from truly floundering their season away.

As for Dickey, The Cy Young would be great from a sentimental look, but Gio Gonzalez and Aroldis Chapman truly pitched well for playoff teams.

I'm at a point now where I wouldn't be disappointed if either Trout or Cabrera takes home the hardware. Both are deserving.

long wait? 3 months is nothing compared to football.

Mr. Walter Weiss named new Rockies manager! A great move in my book. While he doesn't have the MLB coaching resume, as a player he was rookie of the year, won a World Series with A's, lost a World Series with Braves, was on the first team to win a Wild Card with Rockies, played under two of the best managers ever, Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox, has lived in Colorado for 20 years, coaches high school ball(his son's team), and was a special assistant to the ROX for a few years in the 2000's, so knows his way around the clubhouse.
    Last edited by PindralProgger; 11-09-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Good choice.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The Mets greatest need is a new manager. Bobby Valentine is a bozo.
    Why? Are the Mets considering Bobby V.? Because they could do a whole lot worse.
    I've never been one of his biggest fans, but he knows his shit. Those pinheads who run the Red Sox Nation don't know what the fuck they're doing.

He was a terrible fit in Boston. That was never going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    Hoping the Giants can keep Pagan, Scuataro, and Affeldt,and in addition to that can add even more offense.
    I understand that a three deal at about 21 mil may be in the works.
    The older I get, the better I was.

That was doomed from the start. If you put him with The Nationals that would have been a better fit. True Bobby knows his baseball and does well with a younger team, but his shtick can wear thin after a couple of years. My dad (Rest his soul) depised Bobby Valentine, the infamous dugout ground crew inpersonation was the last straw for my dad.

meimjustalawnmower
    There was a time when he would've been a perfect fit. I'm not a huge fan of Bobby V, because he says a lot of stupid shit in a muppet voice, but as a baseball mind he can run circles around almost anyone, except for maybe a buncha primadonna pussy players and clueless owners.

I suppose you've all heard the rumours about the Blue Jays/Marlins trade. I hope it works out since it makes sense for both teams. The Marlins are cutting payroll, as they do periodically. The Blue Jays pitching staff was decimated this year and a lot of those guys won't be usable next year either (the ones with Tommy John surgery for sure). Toronto also has a lot of prospects in the farm system and money is no problem.

The players reportedly part of the trade include Blue Jays players Henderson Alvarez, Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, Justin Nicolino, Jake Marisnick, and Anthony DeSclafani, and Miami Marlins players Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, John Buck, Jose Reyes, and Emilio Bonifacio.

Alvarez and Escobar were the only major leaguers from the Jays and the team had to get rid of Escobar after the homophobic slur on his eye black this summer. Shame about Alvarez, though.

Quote Originally Posted by saatuk View Post
    I suppose you've all heard the rumours about the Blue Jays/Marlins trade. I hope it works out since it makes sense for both teams. The Marlins are cutting payroll, as they do periodically.
    This is an absolute disgrace.

If I'm commissioner, I block this trade.

The Marlins just got Miami/Florida to pony up for a new stadium, and then they go for a salary dump? Nuh uh. Shouldn't be allowed.

Baseball needs to be removed from Florida immediately.

Owners should at least present a intention of trying to win, not just try to squeeze a profit out of their municipalities and fans.

Jeff Loria can go to hell.

Tell us how you feel, Scott.

This is a disgrace. "The Marlins cutting payroll" is a joke to say. This is a calculated salary dump and a slap in the face to MLB and (the few) fans. The just signed Reyes and Buehrle less than 12 months ago. I am usually not so cynical, but Loria played the system and won. Now his team can be moderately profitable for him as a low budget joke.

The Jays gave up nothing of consequence. Who cares about Alvarez? Nicolino and Marisnick are the only potential chips.

But hey, AA is great at making deals, and on paper, the thought of a Reyes/Bonifacio/Bautista/Encarcion/Lawrie top 5 is finger-lickin' good. Jury is out on how much JJ and Buehrle will be able to thrive in the AL East, but it's a bolster for sure.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Tell us how you feel, Scott.

This is a disgrace. "The Marlins cutting payroll" is a joke to say. This is a calculated salary dump and a slap in the face to MLB and (the few) fans. The just signed Reyes and Buehrle less than 12 months ago. I am usually not so cynical, but Loria played the system and won. Now his team can be moderately profitable for him as a low budget joke.
    Of course it was calculated. Loria's a scumbag.

But, I do agree that this should be good for the BJ's, of whom I'm a casual fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

But hey, AA is great at making deals,

Can you imagine how many GMs out there wish they'd been in on this gift?

Of course it was calculated. Loria's a scumbag.

But, I do agree that this should be good for the BJ's, of whom I'm a casual fan.
    How is Loria able to own a baseball team after what he did to the city of Montreal and has now done to Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by saatuk View Post
    Shame about Alvarez, though.
    What did I do?