Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ASIA Fall US Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Then they're going to have to fold. Casual fans aren't going to pay those prices, and music freaks won't be able to attend as many shows at that price.
    Looking at the venues, I can't help but wonder whether or not the absence of Howe is negatively impacting ticket sales.

Also, I have tried to like Gravitas, but just can't. I find it to be the weakest of the four post-reunion CDs.

Do Fripp and Wetton not get along...can't help but wonder if Wetton wasn't soo busy with a one-album wonder band he could be makin' some nice cash with the Fripp machine....

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Do Fripp and Wetton not get along...can't help but wonder if Wetton wasn't soo busy with a one-album wonder band he could be makin' some nice cash with the Fripp machine....
    Fripp and Wetton are good friends, and still keep in touch regularly, I believe. I think that the reason that Wetton isn't keen on working with the "Fripp machine" is that he genuinely enjoys being the guiding force in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by progguy View Post
    Fripp and Wetton are good friends, and still keep in touch regularly, I believe. I think that the reason that Wetton isn't keen on working with the "Fripp machine" is that he genuinely enjoys being the guiding force in Asia.
    I believe you are correct about Wetton/Asia. And I think Wetton does make $$ off the DGM/KC back catalog.

Since Asia is dependent on Yes for when they can & cannot tour, I wonder if Wetton would have been involved in KC had the timing been different. As it turns out both Asia & KC are touring within the same time 'window' this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    I believe you are correct about Wetton/Asia. And I think Wetton does make $$ off the DGM/KC back catalog.

Since Asia is dependent on Yes for when they can & cannot tour, I wonder if Wetton would have been involved in KC had the timing been different. As it turns out both Asia & KC are touring within the same time 'window' this year.
    I very badly wish that Wetton would ditch Asia for Crimson. Unfortunately, from the interviews that I've read, he seems to have little interest in working with Fripp and/or KC, even if the timing was right. He seems to be perfectly happy helming Asia and releasing the occasional solo record. Not to mention the Icon project.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Looking at the venues, I can't help but wonder whether or not the absence of Howe is negatively impacting ticket sales.
    How does Crimson's venues compare to Asia's? Even if they're the same size or larger, Crimson are playing way fewer dates. So Asia are, I would imagine, bringing in quite a bit more money than Crimson from live work.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^^^ KC *is* playing larger venues and it appears many will be sellouts. I doubt many, if any, Asia shows will sell out. But even so, if the question is "would Wetton make more $ from Asia or by being a part of KC?" I would guess Asia. And it makes sense that Wetton would prefer to go out with *his* band.

BTW: Does anyone know if Wetton was actually asked to be a part of the KC reunion? I remember Fripp's diary included some vague innuendo about "talking to JW's management" and the like...

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    How does Crimson's venues compare to Asia's? Even if they're the same size or larger, Crimson are playing way fewer dates. So Asia are, I would imagine, bringing in quite a bit more money than Crimson from live work.
    Can't speak for all of the dates, but for Philly:

King Crimson: Verizon Hall - 2500 seats, 2 shows
    Asia: Havana's 140-500 capacity, depending on set-up, 1 show

Hard to compare these two though. Crimson is making a much-heralded "comeback", while Asia has been continually touring the last few years but now with a key member missing from the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Hard to compare these two though. Crimson is making a much-heralded "comeback", while Asia has been continually touring the last few years but now with a key member missing from the band.
    Very much this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Can't speak for all of the dates, but for Philly:

King Crimson: Verizon Hall - 2500 seats, 2 shows
    Asia: Havana's 140-500 capacity, depending on set-up, 1 show

and Havana's in New Hope is at best a tourist trap. a huge step down from their more recent gigs at the Keswick

a package tour may have well been a better alternative for this Coulson era of Asia I'm afraid. hell, I'd be over the moon if a package tour could get Saga in the States again . . . then again I'm not sure how many tickets that would even sell either . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post

Also, I have tried to like Gravitas, but just can't. I find it to be the weakest of the four post-reunion CDs.
    Some of the venues are the same as past tours. I'm sure overall sales will be less, we shall see. I'm less excited about seeing them not because Howe is gone, but because the set-list (from last 2 weeks in UK / Japan) looks like a greatest hits package. I'm in the minority that prefers to hear music that has not (often) been played before.

BB King's is probably the smallest venue they've ever played here. About a thousand can pack the room. The fact that KC is performing a few blocks away that night, one of four nights in the 2200 (+/-) capacity Best Buy theater will really harm their ticket sales. Unless those proggers who could not get in to that sold-out show will venture to the Asia concert especially for only $45-. But, they may go see Allan Holdsworth a few blocks in the other direction instead. Tix for his sets, 2 per night, run around $40- plus a two drink minimum. Early show attendees are typically allowed to stay for both with another 2 drink minimum purchase. Plenty to do here.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by progguy View Post
    I very badly wish that Wetton would ditch Asia for Crimson. Unfortunately, from the interviews that I've read, he seems to have little interest in working with Fripp and/or KC, even if the timing was right. He seems to be perfectly happy helming Asia and releasing the occasional solo record. Not to mention the Icon project.
    actually, john has said in reply to my suggestion directly that he feels no one wants him to return/guest to Crimson. IIRC he claimed a forum (or two) were quite vocal about this, maybe DGM???

i would love to see john do a tour with Crimson. that would be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    actually, john has said in reply to my suggestion directly that he feels no one wants him to return/guest to Crimson. IIRC he claimed a forum (or two) were quite vocal about this, maybe DGM???

i would love to see john do a tour with Crimson. that would be fun!
    Surely it wasn't THIS forum!