Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: IQ - Tales From The Lush Attic 2013 remix

^^ Wow, $16.43 IS a good price!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm in the U.S. and I just ordered it straight off the band's website, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Although I realize this is not a general IQ thread, there do appear to be plenty of knowledgable fans here, so, can anyone tell me whether the live Subterranea set is worth tracking down. It appears to be difficult to find, thus priced at a premium. Is the sound quality good? Thx.
    Sadly, it's very hard to get on DVD nowadays (someone offers the only copy now for 999 GBP on Amazon.co.uk) but the video really adds to the concept of the album - in fact, it is after watching this DVD that I was finally able to grasp the story and the music... I was very impressed with the whole production of the llive show.
    So if you get a chance of getting the DVD version for reasonable amount of cash - grab it asap.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Finally heard the remix today and I love it, kudos to Mike Holmes and the engineers. I only had the horrible sounding Samuri CD, to hear the last bit of The Last Human Gateway clear and powerful was quite nice. Now to get a copy of The Wake remaster.....

I listened to this last night, and thought the sound was greatly improved. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar reaction to mine, though: there's something that just doesn't sound right to me - the songs I'm used to hearing aren't the same. I know the album nearly note for note, and while the actual quality of the recording has improved, it's not better for me, it's different. Thoughts?

Can you clarify? Do you mean that the mix is different or that they used different takes of the music that was on the 1983 release as part of the first 5 tracks on disc 1? To my ears, it sounds like the exact same music but cleaned up and different balances used. Note: I haven't listened to my shitty 1983 version in years.

No, it's clearly the same takes, just remixed. Things that were likely buried in the original mix now stand out, so in certain parts where I'm not expecting it, there is now guitar as the main focus, rather than keys, etc. It's just somewhat off-putting that there are things that sound 'new' to me.

I also have to say that I don't hear anything that stands out as being different to me. I think the sound quality and mix are vastly improved, but say that the songs themselves sound different, not me. But hey, we all hear things the way we hear them.

Also when you listen to the interview you can see that the band was not at all happy with Tales.... when it was originally released, it was a very rushed process . They, IQ, are very happy with this remix, and as far as I'm concerned that tells it all for me.

It's just somewhat off-putting that there are things that sound 'new' to me.
    Oh, I know what you mean. When I heard the remaster of The Who's Quadrophenia (an album I knew backwards and forwards), I was surprised at how different the brass sounded during The Real Me. Looking at the credits, there it was: remixed by Jon Astley. Boo!

They, IQ, are very happy with this remix, and as far as I'm concerned that tells it all for me.
    Sure. As a result of hearing the remix, I've been on a bit of an IQ retrospective (excluding the non-Peter Nicholls years, of course!) and while nothing they've done since The Wake quite reaches the same heights for me, I've really been enjoying Subterranea and Dark Matter especially.

I wish they'd come to the US again, but unless there's a Marillion-esque tour fund drive, not very likely.

Banned

Found this on YouTube just now. This thread has been revived.

I love the section from 17:55 on, especially when Mike Holmes plays that wonderful melody from 19:05 on. Here's a killer live version of this song (Mike Holmes rules from 19:56 onwards):

I saw them at UCLA in 1993, this is the setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iq/199...-23dc30a7.html

Great show, I wish they'd tour the US again, but I get that the band is a "hobby" for them, they've all had to work at day jobs during the time frame of the band.
    Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 12-18-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    ...or you could love

While browsing amazon (.ca) just now, I happened to notice this set selling for $10.74 new on the marketplace. Great price! Thought I'd mention it for anyone looking for a stocking stuffer.

http://www.amazon.ca/Tales-Lush-Atti...ef=pd_sim_m_40
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'll buy this because I'm a hardcore fan, but...It's a bit tiresome buying essentially the same album 3 to 5 times. I get why all the bands do it, but...
    I agree, if I've got an opus then I don't need or want to buy it again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I agree, if I've got an opus then I don't need or want to buy it again.
    Here here!! Btw, I've only bought Tales From The Lush Attic once, and that was the Insideout version.

In fact, the only time I've ever bought the same album twice, is when I've bought a CD to replace worn out vinyl. Ironically though, nowadays I'm finding that I'm just as likely to buy new vinyl to replace a worn out CD

There's a lot more to this release than simply 'the same album' though. This one is worth the price IMO, especially going so cheaply at the moment.