Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ha! Rap coming from car next to mine - Annie Haslam singing!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    So, please check the proggy outrage at the door....
    I'm sorry, I just can't contain myself, I need to make one snarky comment.

It's somehow comforting, I guess, that rappers occasionally recognize good music -- even though they have to rent it because they can't make it themselves.

Thanks all for posting great tracks! I knew about the Kayne and 21st Century..., as well as others, specifically in Trip-Hop, who sample Jazz, Blues and Standards frequently.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    See the carpet of the mother f*ckin sun
    The green grass soft and Goddamned sweet
    Sand upon the shores of time
    Of oceans, mountains deep
    Kill a cop muthaf*cka...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I'm sorry, I just can't contain myself, I need to make one snarky comment.

It's somehow comforting, I guess, that rappers occasionally recognize good music -- even though they have to rent it because they can't make it themselves.
    alotof rappers have huge and talented bands when they play live, so technicaly they can play it if they want. in the genre of music where they make a living, the art is to sample and lay down beats and verses. thats what their fans like and might not necesarily like it in other ways. I like amoeba records you tube series whats in my bag. i sawone just the other day with childish gambino i think. anyway he had a goblin album in his bag and explained that he was interested in some scary sounding samples. their not as brain dead as some wouldlike to believe.

I've never heard it used, but I always thought someone could mold a great hip hop track sampling "Great Deceiver," especially if they rapped over a loop of the bass-led entrance to the verse (the part just before Wetton's "Health food" line). It would sound so wickedly off-kilter out of context.

Recognize the Can backbeat and bass line?

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    seems that some rappers and their producers have more refined tastes than a lotta prog fans lol
    I'd say "eclectic" rather than "refined," but I take your point. I once read that Afrika Bambaataa cited Kraftwerk and Yellow Magic Orchestra as big influences, and that Sgt. Pepper was his favorite album. I suspect that most of these guys have pretty big ears.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by izz_brian View Post
    I've never heard it used, but I always thought someone could mold a great hip hop track sampling "Great Deceiver," especially if they rapped over a loop of the bass-led entrance to the verse (the part just before Wetton's "Health food" line). It would sound so wickedly off-kilter out of context.
    Agree. Don't you have any NYC Hip-Hop connections? It could be a collaboration.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    so Fripp probably got a nice paycheck out of it.
    No doubt, but has anyone actually asked him about this? Or whether Greg, Ian and Mike also got their slice?

But hearing all these prog samples in rap music has to be one of the greatest moments of irony in recent memory, considering prog is lambasted (usually by white rock journalists) as "white European" music that fails to connect with the roots of true rock music: the blues of poor black folk. Sounds to me like a lot of black folk are just fine with it.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I'm sure some of us remember Utah Saints and the song Something Good, which hit #4 in the UK. Heavily samples Kate Bush's Cloudbusting.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eUxhNWDlGts&feature=kp

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    No doubt, but has anyone actually asked him about this? Or whether Greg, Ian and Mike also got their slice?

But hearing all these prog samples in rap music has to be one of the greatest moments of irony in recent memory, considering prog is lambasted (usually by white rock journalists) as "white European" music that fails to connect with the roots of true rock music: the blues of poor black folk. Sounds to me like a lot of black folk are just fine with it.
    By the same token Rap and Hip-Hop are frequently lambasted in Prog circles as a non-musical abomination. Both are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post

...considering prog is lambasted (usually by white rock journalists) as "white European" music that fails to connect with the roots of true rock music.
    I think a lot of smart people understand that journalists who do this are just trying to create an externalized rationalization to what is truly their own prejudice. I respect a critic who just says outright, "this type of music has never connected for me, and I recognize that as a reflection of my own personal taste as opposed to an objective statement on the worthiness of this style."

As for the Robert Fripp/Crimson thing re. Kanye West's sample...I seem to recall (from the DGM diaries) that he made some calls to lawyers at the time, and acceptable terms were agreed upon. I don't know if the terms also involved the rest of the band, but I would hope anyone who had credit as a writer of Schizoid Man received a proportionate percentage.

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Fripp, Giles, Lake and McDonald are included among the 17 people credited for composing Power. No credit for Sinfield though, which is a bit strange.

Quote Originally Posted by izz_brian View Post
    I think a lot of smart people understand that journalists who do this are just trying to create an externalized rationalization to what is truly their own prejudice. I respect a critic who just says outright, "this type of music has never connected for me, and I recognize that as a reflection of my own personal taste as opposed to an objective statement on the worthiness of this style."
    well put excellent. in every aspect of life, media is there to make money for themselves and nothing more. they have their own agenda. one band becomes famous and another doesn't because an arbitrary person endorses one and not the other. same with musical styles and genres.

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Fripp, Giles, Lake and McDonald are included among the 17 people credited for composing Power. No credit for Sinfield though, which is a bit strange.
    Sinfield is omitted on the Wikipedia page for the individual song, but is listed as co-writer on the Wikipedia page for the album. I think it's just an editing oversight. Oddly, at allmusic Sinfield is listed but Ian McDonald is omitted in the list of writers.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this when the Kanye album came up, but Jon Anderson should also be making some cash from Kanye's sampling of Mike Oldfield's "In High Places" (co-written with Jon) on the album's opening track, "Dark Fantasy."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Reportedly Kate Bush was flattered by rapper Busta Cap's sampling of her song Oh To Be In Love in his song Choke on It, Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    By the same token Rap and Hip-Hop are frequently lambasted in Prog circles as a non-musical abomination. Both are wrong.
    Yes, indeed so - very much in the same sense that some listeners can't come to grips with the essence of serious musicality in much extreme metal - or contemporary composition, noise etc. for that matter.

Someone mentioned Dälek, and they feature among the most profoundly musical entities I heard from the 2000s; there's more genuine complexity in their work than you'll ever come across in your average InsideOut release. And the same goes for ClouDDead, Flying Lotus et al.

Actually, I'd say most creative modern "rock"-related music somehow sounds fascinatingly far from anything "big six".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of the better PE threads. Thanks all for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Actually, I'd say most creative modern "rock"-related music somehow sounds fascinatingly far from anything "big six".
    I'm perfectly fine with the notion that the next real generation of "progressive" rock music could very well come from rap musicians, even if I won't be buying the albums. That's already happened to some degree with bands like Faith No More and Red Hot Chili Peppers. But those were white kids incorporating elements of rap into rock music, and I'm not ready to label rappers incorporating 70s prog into their songs as "progressive" either. It's pushing boundaries, but not the same way King Crimson's debut did in '69.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Someone mentioned Dälek, and they feature among the most profoundly musical entities I heard from the 2000s; there's more genuine complexity in their work than you'll ever come across in your average InsideOut release. And the same goes for ClouDDead, Flying Lotus et al.
    Dälek were kind of my "gateway" band for more interesting rap, in the same way maudlin of the Well was my gateway into more 'unusual' metal. That said, I've probably explored less rap than metal since, but I do try to keep my ears open for new goodness.

I'm a big texture/atmosphere person, and Dälek creates some seriously gorgeous ambiance with their albums. 'Black Smoke Rises' is kind of a default go-to track, but their 2005 untitled session on Latitudes is absolutely wonderful. It is mostly instrumental, with two poems as bookends (I wouldn't even call these raps as much as spoken word, and lyrically they are excellent).
    Last edited by battema; 04-24-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Well, there's this one. Can't swear to it but the synth at the top of the track defintely has a Vangelis vibe to it and Yes' Leave It features heavily. Whether or not you think that's progressive, well that's another thread entirely!

What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTed View Post
    Well, there's this one. Can't swear to it but the synth at the top of the track defintely has a Vangelis vibe to it and Yes' Leave It features heavily. Whether or not you think that's progressive, well that's another thread entirely!
    Orbital is a whole different story, as they were admitted and dedicated fans of progressive rock at large and constantly referred to the Nurse With Wound-list and so on. They were also theoretically and technically seasoned musicians.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Not to keen on the Orbital track, a little to mellow for me.

How about Busdriver sampling Michel Legrand's Thomas Crown Affair theme. Most of the artistry with him his in the lyrics and vocalization.

Wormholes

This is my favorite track - AvantCore the video is cool

Orbital is a whole different story, as they were admitted and dedicated fans of progressive rock at large and constantly referred to the Nurse With Wound-list and so on. They were also theoretically and technically seasoned musicians.
    There was a lot of that about back in the day. I always remember playing Halcyon at about 6 in the morning to a friend of mine who loved dance music and pointing out all the prog nuances - it used to drive him fucking nuts!

Underworld was another outfit that had strong progressive influences I believe.
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Resurrecting this old thread to share some discoveries I've made recently when investigating the current Finnish hiphop scene:

Here's a nice reapplication of a couple of bars from Camel's La Princesse Perdue. I particularly like how cathartic it feels to finally hear the track explode into the full melody in the end (and that's not meant to be a backhanded compliment). An excellent way to end an album.

This one samples Whisper from Marseilles by Annie Haslam's Renaissance, so it's precisely on topic:

I'm also really looking forward to the forthcoming Asa album, which is based entirely on samples from Love Records catalogue, including a lot of stuff from Wigwam, Tasavallan Presidentti and other prog bands. The only song released so far is based on Meritaru by Isokynä Lindholm, which admittedly isn't exactly prog, but sounds quite similar when sampled and looped.