Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bigelf- Into The Maelstrom

Have ordered it. Portnoy's inclusion tipped the scales for me. Everything this guy touches takes it up a notch. The guys an incredible & diverse talent!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Have ordered it. Portnoy's inclusion tipped the scales for me. Everything this guy touches takes it up a notch. The guys an incredible & diverse talent!!!
    I don't mean to sound like a detractor but the inclusion of Portnoy kind of scares me - I always thought Big Elf was fine in the drum dept and didn't need the aid of a technical chops player.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a detractor but the inclusion of Portnoy kind of scares me - I always thought Big Elf was fine in the drum dept and didn't need the aid of a technical chops player.

That was kinda my thought as well...

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    +1

Have hust listened to samples. Portnoy defo. takes this album up a notch or two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Have hust listened to samples. Portnoy defo. takes this album up a notch or two!!!
    It would have been a lot better if Phil Collins played on it though. He makes everything better.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    2003's "Hex" is their best album i.m.o.
    Agreed! "Closer To Doom" would be my second favorite. "Cheat The Gallows" was more miss than hit for me.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I've had 'Into The Maelstrom' for a week now and, at the moment, it is my favorite release of the year. It is a fantastic, brilliant album, Damon Fox and co. have outdone themselves here. I can't believe the comments about Portnoy being a put off here, his playing is fantastic and services the songs here, he doesn't take over. Only one of the songs here have that signature drumming of his, but it doesn't get on the way. Actually the song demands it, if you will. Again, this is my favorite release of the year thus far, it's the one I've been playing everyday on my car on the afternoon commute from work and don't think it will leave my car player anytime soon.

I just got this and listened to it yesterday, it is a good disc all the way through, and Portnoy certainly plays the music as they intended it to be played, and doesn't take over, like we all know he could

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    I can't believe the comments about Portnoy being a put off here, his playing is fantastic and services the songs here, he doesn't take over.
    I think Portnoy is brilliant...always have. And if he's not interjecting "patented Portnoy" into the songs, but rather serving the songs, as you say, then that's awesome. He does the same in The Winery Dogs. But, in A7X for example, he smears "patented Portnoy" all over it. When I first heard "Nightmare" on the radio, I thought it was new DT until the singing started.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I think Portnoy is brilliant...always have. And if he's not interjecting "patented Portnoy" into the songs, but rather serving the songs, as you say, then that's awesome. He does the same in The Winery Dogs. But, in A7X for example, he smears "patented Portnoy" all over it. When I first heard "Nightmare" on the radio, I thought it was new DT until the singing started.
    I hear you. But, let me put it this way, we don't get great albums like 'Into the Maelstrom' anymore and, when we do, people are saying they won't buy it or pass on it because it has Mike Portnoy on it, as if he "ruins", plays the same or takes over in every record he plays, which is certainly not the case here. If anything, he's helped Bigelf take it to the next level. I truly think they have outdone themselves and that this is their best album and, after the band imploded, to make this great comeback record of this quality is a remarkable achievement, imho of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    I hear you. But, let me put it this way, we don't get great albums like 'Into the Maelstrom' anymore and, when we do, people are saying they won't buy it or pass on it because it has Mike Portnoy on it, as if he "ruins", plays the same or takes over in every record he plays, which is certainly not the case here. If anything, he's helped Bigelf take it to the next level. I truly think they have outdone themselves and that this is their best album and, after the band imploded, to make this great comeback record of this quality is a remarkable achievement, imho of course.
    That's awesome. Yeah, it is a little disheartening when some will dismiss a release based on superficial criteria. I saw many people immediately dismiss KXM simply because Ray Luzier was drumming, and he now drums for Korn.

I loved 'Cheat...', and I listened to this new album once...I will absolutely spin it some more before forming an actual opinion.

I want to like this and try as I might but the vocals aren't for me. As for Portnoy his playing is adequate and who knows how much of his own input was taken on, but his best for me was with DT and LTE where the material allows him to shine. I wish he would do something similar or make an album of originals with PSMS. To his credit besides his drumming ability he has so much enthusiasm and a massive following so it's no wonders he continues to thrive after DT, not to mention clean up in the best drummer awards.
    Last edited by Scorp; 04-25-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    That's awesome. Yeah, it is a little disheartening when some will dismiss a release based on superficial criteria. I saw many people immediately dismiss KXM simply because Ray Luzier was drumming, and he now drums for Korn.

I loved 'Cheat...', and I listened to this new album once...I will absolutely spin it some more before forming an actual opinion.
    Correct, if I dismissed a band because who the drummer is/was I wouldn't own one Genesis album!!!!