Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here like the band United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    "Lothar" was the group's theremin.

My recollection of them is that they are not nearly as interesting as Silver Apples, USA, Fifty Foot Hose. But they were the best known of these sorts of bands.
    Pretty fair assessment. Think they had two albums, s/t and Space Hymn, not sure if they're on cd, but the originals are fairly easy to find on vinyl and usually cheaper than the above bands.

Re: USA. Great album. Beats me why Love Song For the Dead Che is not on every soft psych comp ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Lothar & the Hand People
    never heard of them !
    This is a very weird band, obviously drawn on hallucinogenics, very vocal-based if memory serves... and much less interestibng than the bands Steve mentions indeed
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Lothar & the Hand People
    never heard of them !
    there was also a bad SNL skit called Lothar and the Hill People with Mike Meyers

or should I have posted that in the "Prog Trivia" thread?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Another ancient person who owns the cd and once upon a time the vinyl. Staggeringly under-appreciated band in my opinion. I still play it when I feel REAL old., and it provides me temporary respite from that mindset.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The Locomotive album is one of my absolute favourites on our label and Mr Armageddon in particular I think is an amazingly "groovy" track. We paid over £250 to get the bloomin vinyl in order to do the artwork on that reissue.

The weird thing is, Locomotive- if they are known at all- are probably known for a hit single 'Rudi's In Love' that is a ska track! I remember hearing that a few times on 60s-focussed 'golden oldies' shows. The rest of their stuff sounds really *nothing* like that, as far as I recall.

Maybe a UK equivalent of this USA album is White Noise's 'An Electric Storm'? Though that does go pretty far out...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The weird thing is, Locomotive- if they are known at all- are probably known for a hit single 'Rudi's In Love' that is a ska track! I remember hearing that a few times on 60s-focussed 'golden oldies' shows. The rest of their stuff sounds really *nothing* like that, as far as I recall.

Maybe a UK equivalent of this USA album is White Noise's 'An Electric Storm'? Though that does go pretty far out...
    A) Yes, but weren't White Noise a multi-national group?

B) I believe Locomotive started out pretty much in the same way as The Web, playing soul-inflected pop/rock. They were also a multi-racial group, IIRC.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Indeed, an excellent album too.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The first time I hear Broadcast I thought I stumbled upon a USA unreleased album
    Word!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have the USA cd version with all the bonus tracks, and the Joe Byrd & the Field Hippies' "American Metaphysical Circus" on the aforementioned out-of-print cd. Both great albums. I'd like to mention another similar psych/protoprog album from that time: The Spoils of War. The main guy is keyboardist James Cuomo, and the band is from Illinois. Lots of weird electronic effects, female vocals and a complex, proggy sound on the later tracks (the album covers 3 incarnations of the band from 1969-1971) that recalls USA, Zappa and Curved Air. AllMusic Guide lists a second album with samples, but I've never seen that album anywhere.