Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardiacs - Guns

chalkpie
    Slightly O/T, but I listened to Vaughan Williams Symphony No. 6 tonight and I'll be damned if Tim didn't love this guy! There are harmonic changes in there that sounded like Cardiacs played by a big orchestra, minus the loud guitars and drums (or vice versa really). Is it common knowledge that Tim is a RVW fan?

Guns was actually the first Cardiacs I heard, so it was pretty surprising to eventually realize I liked Sing to God more. Which is to say: this is an amazing album, and if it was the only thing someone had ever heard by Cardiacs, I can attest to the fact that they might very well still love this band.

Funny enough, was listening to "Winds and Rains is Cold" the other day, and it struck me as being similar to psychedelic pop along the lines of XTC or Dukes of Stratosphear. I mentioned this on twitter to XTC's Andy Partridge, and tho he wasn't terribly familiar with them, he said he'd investigate more. It's always such a thrill to turn someone onto this group, they're always surprised -- "how have I not heard of this before??"

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Slightly O/T, but I listened to Vaughan Williams Symphony No. 6 tonight and I'll be damned if Tim didn't love this guy! There are harmonic changes in there that sounded like Cardiacs played by a big orchestra, minus the loud guitars and drums (or vice versa really). Is it common knowledge that Tim is a RVW fan?
    THANK YOU! You have now reached Cardiacs-expert level. I've been pointing this out to people for years. I spoke to the Sleepy People singer after a gig in the mid-90s (that Tim was doing the sound on) & said to him "I liked your use of Vaughan Williams in that last song" He was impressed I spotted it.

They took the pastoral ending of the 1st movmt of Symph. 6 and extended it. I always felt RVW did himself a disservice by not making the pastoral ending to the
    1st mvmt longer. There was at least another 2 minutes of emotion in it. Sleepy People fixed that for us!

Unfortunately looking for Sleepy People tracks on youtube or myspace is like looking for rocking horse shit!

I've played a Vaughan Williams piece (can't remember which off the top of my head) and now that you mention it, I get where you are coming from. Changes on a dime, weird rhythms, lots of energy..

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I've played a Vaughan Williams piece (can't remember which off the top of my head) and now that you mention it, I get where you are coming from. Changes on a dime, weird rhythms, lots of energy..
    Exactly. A whole slew of 90s pronky & post-folk bands were borrowing energy, emotions and ideas from RVW. I mean, HELLO, you only have to listen to Stars in Battledress, Karda Estra or NSRO to find RVW in the seams.

ive tried on many occasionsmyself but cant get in to this band. i willkeep trying you never know when it'll hit some day

chalkpie
    There's Good Cud.

chalkpie
    f725a56139c639045daab3a42a8_prev.jpg

Really loving this album. NOT liking the production at all, unfortunately, the lack of low end and late 80's/early 90's digital production is hard to take for 45 minutes......HOWEVER......the music is totally brilliant! I used to think that this album was not on the level of "On Land" and "Songs for Ships", but I was wrong. The writing is easily as great - -just a different angle Tim was going for. A very symphonic type of vibe - not symphonic like Yes, etc - but a grandiose aesthetic with grand themes and presentations. "Home of Fadeless Splendour" sounds like it could be sung at an Everton football match or something

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    THANK YOU! You have now reached Cardiacs-expert level. I've been pointing this out to people for years. I spoke to the Sleepy People singer after a gig in the mid-90s (that Tim was doing the sound on) & said to him "I liked your use of Vaughan Williams in that last song" He was impressed I spotted it.

They took the pastoral ending of the 1st movmt of Symph. 6 and extended it. I always felt RVW did himself a disservice by not making the pastoral ending to the
    1st mvmt longer. There was at least another 2 minutes of emotion in it. Sleepy People fixed that for us!

Unfortunately looking for Sleepy People tracks on youtube or myspace is like looking for rocking horse shit!

Thanks and wow. That theme is unbelievable and yes, I agree, Ralphie could develop that thing until the sheep come home. The first set of chords in VW5 3rd mvt adagio sounds like something Tim would knick

f725a56139c639045daab3a42a8_prev.jpg

Really loving this album. NOT liking the production at all, unfortunately, the lack of low end and late 80's/early 90's digital production is hard to take for 45 minutes......HOWEVER......the music is totally brilliant! I used to think that this album was not on the level of "On Land" and "Songs for Ships", but I was wrong. The writing is easily as great - -just a different angle Tim was going for. A very symphonic type of vibe - not symphonic like Yes, etc - but a grandiose aesthetic with grand themes and presentations. "Home of Fadeless Splendour" sounds like it could be sung at an Everton football match or something
    It seems like you have the remaster reissue based on the cover that you are showing. Try to find the earlier one. Not the best sounding CD, but it sounds MUCH better that the one you have. I agree about "Home of the Fadeless...." It is an amazing track and worth the album alone! I can't even imagine to be at a concert that would start with a song like that.

Guns. What a brilliant tune
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...