Thread: Ambrosia - Mama Frog

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Ambrosia - Mama Frog

Just heard this on Sirius XM Deep Tracks. Never heard this before. Pretty proggy - like Gentle Giant. What album is this from?

The first album. The title of the album escapes me at the moment. Been a while since I've played it.

It's from the first Ambrosia - s/t

It's from their debut. That one and Somewhere I've Never Travelled are both excellent. Their last album, Road Island, is also worth having. Don't much care for the two middle albums, too slick and AOR-ish for my tastes, but the title song off of Life Beyond L.A. is so good, it almost makes that one worth buying.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I think the whole album is terrific, but that song especially is a standout. Love it! Nice to see it mentioned here.

One of the most amazing things about the first Ambrosia album is that the synthesizer that was used was built by Mike Granger, an electronics wiz friend of theirs. He said that it was a cross between a moog and an arp, and that the band called it a Grangertron. It sure got some great sounds on Mama Frog. There is a story about it on their web site http://www.ambrosiaweb.com/archive1.htm as well as a picture.

Another Classic Prog Gem off Ambrosia's debut album is "Drink Of Water"!

That s/t Ambrosia album is amazing, I love it. Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    That s/t Ambrosia album is amazing, I love it. Great stuff
    Yup!! & So is Somewhere.... (the 2nd album).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I think the majority of Life Beyond L.A. is similar to the first two albums. There is of course a famous soft rock hit on it.. But I dig it and One-Eighty also.

The 1st Ambrosia album is a must have...
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Easily one of the best debut albums I've ever heard.

There's a great story about the band stressing over the first album for a long time, trying to get each song absolutely perfect. Their dedication paid off IMO.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Ambrosia has always been a favorite of mine. Saw the original lineup in concert once, and the more recent Ambrosia a few times.
    I like all their albums, though the earlier ones are better. It's only the sappy ballads I can do without.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I think the majority of Life Beyond L.A. is similar to the first two albums. There is of course a famous soft rock hit on it.
    There's one on the first album too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did the band ever headline in the US? (Before NEARfest, Cruise To The Edge, etc?)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did the band ever headline in the US? (Before NEARfest, Cruise To The Edge, etc?)
    They gigged quite a lot back in the 70s on the college circuit. I think they headlined most of those shows.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by jcleary View Post
    Another Classic Prog Gem off Ambrosia's debut album is "Drink Of Water"!
    And my favorite track from it:

Yes Ambrosia headlined a number of shows in the 70s and 80s. They did a shared headline tour with Styx in 1976 where depending on the city one or the other was top billed. They did a lot of shows with Kansas in 1976 and 1977. Ambrosia did some headline shows to promote their "Somewhere I've Never Travelled" album.
    One of the best was a sold out concert at the Santa Monica Civic, which was one of the Prime Venues in Southern California in the 70s. Ambrosia also sold out the Greek Theater in 1980 and toured quite a bit with their Warner label mates the Doobie Brothers.

This is NICE, NICE, very NICE.

Jim

"Time Waits For No One" is another great song off the first Ambrosia album with an excellent guitar intro by David Pack. The song has some cool Time Signature changes.