Thread: Pepper's Pow-Wow - Witchi-Tai-To

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Pepper's Pow-Wow - Witchi-Tai-To

For some reason I've been hearing this song on Sirius XM Deep Tracks a lot lately yet had never heard it before. According to Wikipedia it was a near hit in 1971. Seems like I should have heard this all over the radio as a kid.

I have great memories of listening to this song - courtesy of my older brother - but he had the Brewer & Shipley version, which I still adore to this day:

Your mention of Jim Pepper's original version got me looking further into it, and here is an interesting background on Brewer & Shipley's version and the difference in lyrics:

http://www.brewerandshipley.com/Misc/WitchiTaiTo2.htm

Holy old Thread, Batman...

Larry Coryell did a version of the song as an encore for a couple of years (1977-9). It was generally excellent (as long as he wasn't too inebriated).

This was written by and released by Jim Pepper, a Native American musician, on the Embryo label in 1971. It is a simply gorgeous song and record. It was later more popularized by Jan Garbarek. But here is the original:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Other versions:

And...... (I am being a completist here, sort of...)

And this!

Wow! Thanks for all of the versions!

And of course, it was a natural for Coryell to play years later since he played on the original.
    I tracked down the Brewer and Shipley cover after hearing LC do it live.
    (Larry's autobio is a good read by the way)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I've heard claims that this has Keith Moon and "members of Yes" on it. If I had to guess, I'd say Kaye.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 01-20-2015 at 07:53 PM.

This was the version that was a minor hit around here, that I remember hearing on AM radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Other versions:

(Ralph Towner and Gary Peacock)
    Here's Towner on keyboards.

Great tune, and Jim Pepper was a fine tenor player. He played on the version by Everything is Everything, which I believe was recorded before he recorded Pepper's Pow Wow, on which is (IMO) the definitive version of the number.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Wow, I always thought this was an Oregon composition. But aftyer playing the original Brewer and SHipley version I do indeed remember hearing this on the radio back in the day. Quite honestly, I would never have associated the two versions as the same song.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I just recently bought the vinyl reissue of Pepper's Pow Wow. Now that I've have a copy, I can't believe I went without it for so long. It's a fantastic record. As another poster alluded to, I saw Larry Coryell do a ripping version on solo electric guitar as an encore. He was the opening act for John McLaughlin's One Truth Band.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I just recently bought the vinyl reissue of Pepper's Pow Wow. Now that I've have a copy, I can't believe I went without it for so long. It's a fantastic record. As another poster alluded to, I saw Larry Coryell do a ripping version on solo electric guitar as an encore. He was the opening act for John McLaughlin's One Truth Band.
    Now that is fascinating...I saw Larry do the song as an encore about 4 different times but it was always acoustic (he was in the acoustic-touring phase that he went through in 1977-8). That is cool that he was doing an electric version just about the same time or a wee bit later. Because as I recall, when i saw JM's One Truth Band it was 1978. (That was quite a band...JM was of course phenomenal but I recall he had a great bassist and the young drummer (Sunship?) was very passionate.) But when I saw the band (in New Jersey) they were the warm up for UK (if I recall correctly). I have some great photos of the show.

FrippWire, do you recall when you saw LC and OTB?

I like the stripped down version Pepper recorded on his Enja album, The Path. Unfortunately his Enja CDs are out of print.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Now that is fascinating...I saw Larry do the song as an encore about 4 different times but it was always acoustic (he was in the acoustic-touring phase that he went through in 1977-8). That is cool that he was doing an electric version just about the same time or a wee bit later. Because as I recall, when i saw JM's One Truth Band it was 1978. (That was quite a band...JM was of course phenomenal but I recall he had a great bassist and the young drummer (Sunship?) was very passionate.) But when I saw the band (in New Jersey) they were the warm up for UK (if I recall correctly). I have some great photos of the show.

FrippWire, do you recall when you saw LC and OTB?
    It was probably May of 1979 at the Royal Oak Music Theater in Royal Oak, MI. I have the ticket stub stashed away somewhere in the "archive". Larry Coryell's set was entirely acoustic up until the encore of Pepper's Witchi Tai To when he strapped on an electric. I seem to remember his aggressive playing caused him to break a couple strings but he kept on playing anyway. It made a very favorable impression on me. I started buying LC records after seeing that show.

Thanks for the info, FrippWire. Larry is a special musician. Quite a deep thinker. I strongly encourage you to read his autobio.
    I always enjoyed his playing, especially with Phillip Catherine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Thanks for the info, FrippWire. Larry is a special musician. Quite a deep thinker. I strongly encourage you to read his autobio.
    I always enjoyed his playing, especially with Phillip Catherine.
    Would that book be Improvising: My Life In Music? If so, I own it and completely agree with you; he is a special talent and a very interesting guy. It was an autobuy upon publication. I'm so glad he's still an active and working musician.

That is a big 10-4. Glad you already have it. I was soooo pleased to see the man kick substances. There were times when he had a hard time making it to the stage.