Thread: Nickel Creek is Back with A Dotted Line

Banned

Nickel Creek is Back with A Dotted Line

That progressive acoustic power house was on Jimmy Fallon and performed Destination. It just kicked ass, fast tempo driving, dare I say rockin.

Banned

Nickel Creek is cool; I just hope (mandolinist) Chris Thile hasn't abandoned The Punch Brothers for it. In the obscure niche of progressive bluegrass, The Punch Brothers would be Gentle Giant to Nickel Creek's Marillion, if that makes any sense.

By coincidence, I stumbled onto their compilation CD/DVD last week at a local retail store and bought it. Some good tunes, acoustic and electric, but I prefer the former.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Nickel Creek is cool; I just hope (mandolinist) Chris Thile hasn't abandoned The Punch Brothers for it. In the obscure niche of progressive bluegrass, The Punch Brothers would be Gentle Giant to Nickel Creek's Marillion, if that makes any sense.
    The new album seems to have some tunes that edge a bit closer to Gentle Giant, and yet still fulfills that vocal oriented Marillion drift. Instrumentally, I consider Nickel Creek more progressive than Marillion. Marillion is weak instrumentally, IMO.

The new album gets a big from me. Quite surprised how good it is!

To me, this is one of the best non prog releases so far this year, along with the new Elbow release. The entire album is fantastic! I really think it's in the top 2 of their releases. If you've never seen them, try to go see them on their current tour. I saw them just before they went on hiatus a few years back....what a show!!!

First time I saw them was when they were 17 years old and they blew me away. They are all great musicians, but Chris Thile is in his own world.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Banned
    I saw them first when they were 18, 19 and 23 (Sarah , Chris and Sean). In 2000 they put out the CD that put them on the map. That summer was when I saw them at the Philly Folk Festival in a workshop with Mike Cross. Influenced by WXPN, the Philly Folk Fest has been one of the most eclectic festivals with a not so strict definition of folk music. What show!

Very good, very good...
    They all look a kind of virgins
    No smoke, No dope, no jokes, and of course no cokes....
    only mineral water and orange juice..
    Very Good, very Good boys....