Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bored with Prog and Metal...?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Is there a band called Witch Mountain? That would be awesome.
    Yes. Slow burning doom metal with female vocals on their last two albums. Recommended listen.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

No I'm bored with metal and prog rock.
    Thin Lizzy I am not bored with.

And the 6 cd box set isn't what I was asking about. I mean the (mostly) 2 cd deluxe sets

Being bored with prog is kind of like the king in the Bugs Bunny cartoon: "Every day it's the same thing: variety, variety, variety!"
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Being bored with prog is kind of like the king in the Bugs Bunny cartoon: "Every day it's the same thing: variety, variety, variety!"
    My thoughts exactly. If you're bored with prog, you're listening to one sub-style too long. Switch to a different band.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    My thoughts exactly. If you're bored with prog, you're listening to one sub-style too long. Switch to a different band.

I disagree. Prog Rock and Metal can't give certain things that some of the bands I am into can offer.
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

Suspended
    I can understand people getting bored with a particular prog rock act, but I can't understand getting bored with prog per se. there is so much variety within the genre that it seems to me if you were open to it in the first place you should still find plenty to take your interest.

I used to regularly listen to Live365 internet "radio" stations that feature progressive rock ("radio" in quotes because it's not, it comes via the telephone line not as radio waves). I discovered quite a lot of interesting artists there, but also to my surprise I found I could not listen to those stations for an extended period without "switching off" mentally, upon which i would literally switch off. I put it down to the fact that, by the very nature of prog, it is going to have some stuff that I love; some that I find hard to take on first listen; and some that I will never come to like. All those disparate styles can get mentally fatiguing, much more so than listening to an album of one prog band. The listening experience is best when the programming is kind of thematic; for example several songs in a row that involve Steven Wilson, or several that are related to genesis or members of Genesis, so there is not too much clash of styles from one song to another.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-18-2014 at 01:53 PM.

I didn't start the thread to talk about metal or prog or how to listen or get into new stuff by either genre.
    I started it to talk about the bands I mentioned or other stuff in that vein.
    I think it's funny that some can't just accept that I am bored with both genres right now. And that I'm listening wrong.
    Ah well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I didn't start the thread to talk about metal or prog or how to listen or get into new stuff by either genre.
    I started it to talk about the bands I mentioned or other stuff in that vein.
    I think it's funny that some can't just accept that I am bored with both genres right now. And that I'm listening wrong.
    Ah well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    You should know by now that you're lucky if a thread stays on topic for ONE page, let alone five! When I mentioned the Bugs Bunny reference, I was saying how I felt about the genre. I'm not trying to tell you what to do; not to be flippant, but I don't care what you listen to. I was simply stating that I find an emourmous variety in Prog that doesn't exist as much in other genres. It doesn't mean I don't listen to other genres; I do. From Classical to Bluegrass to straight-up Rock to Metal to Fusion to big-band Jazz (hardly any Country or Rap, though)... anyway, don't take it so personally. People are simply stating their thoughts; I don't think they're tryring to convert you.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

You should know by now that you're lucky if a thread stays on topic for ONE page, let alone five! When I mentioned the Bugs Bunny reference, I was saying how I felt about the genre. I'm not trying to tell you what to do; not to be flippant, but I don't care what you listen to. I was simply stating that I find an emourmous variety in Prog that doesn't exist as much in other genres. It doesn't mean I don't listen to other genres; I do. From Classical to Bluegrass to straight-up Rock to Metal to Fusion to big-band Jazz (hardly any Country or Rap, though)... anyway, don't take it so personally. People are simply stating their thoughts; I don't think they're tryring to convert you.
    Very well said. The thread title is something I found amusing. It was my total boredom with more mainstream music that attracted me to prog and metal in the first place. If these genres bore me, it may mean I just need to listen to less music for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I disagree. Prog Rock and Metal can't give certain things that some of the bands I am into can offer.
    agreed. sometimes I need to hear The Clash or Bongripper or Howlin' Wolf or the Butthole Surfers or Yob.

I go through phases where I obsess on everything that's not prog or metal. Right now, I'm ODing on everything Fleetwood Mac. There's so much great music out there, and so little time.