Thread: Peter Gabriel RRHoF Speech...

Peter Gabriel RRHoF Speech...

http://www.progmagazine.com/news/201...future-artists

Peter Gabriel last night used his induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame to send an inspirational message to the next generation of musicians.

He also took the opportunity to thank his wife, family and collaborators after being presented with the honour by Coldplay's Chris Martin.

Gabriel said: "If you’re exploring making music and looking at us old-timers getting our decorations, I say two things: Dream big and let your imagination guide you, even if you end up dressing up as a flower or a sexually transmitted disease. They may think it’s a little strange. They may laugh at you, but just do it.

"Secondly, surround yourself with brilliance — the brilliance of who you love being around and the brilliance of their talent."

Among the several colleagues he namechecked was Tony Levin, and while he didn't directly mention any members of Genesis he said: "I’ve worked with so many amazing people through these years."

He concluded by saying: "Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside.

"It can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy."

Gabriel was inducted at a ceremony in Brooklyn alongside Kiss, Nirvana, Linda Ronstadt, Cat Stevens, the E Street Band and Hall and Oates.

Why is it called the RRHOF when most of the artistes in there have never played R & R? Strange!

Surprised artists even bother to turn up!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Why is it called the RRHOF when most of the artistes in there have never played R & R? Strange!
    Legacy, obviously. I'm old enough to remember when "rock and roll" was the favoured term, rather than "rock", and I think I could even narrow down the point at which "rock" took over to sometime in the years 1966 to 1968. Before that, "rock and roll" meant popular music in general; after that, "rock" fulfilled that role, and if you said "rock and roll" you were probably referring to the Chuck Berry era, or something done in that style.

I don't think it really matters much. If you were going to change the name, what would you change it to? "Popular music" is the only likely candidate that makes any sense to me. Even that has its problems.

Anyway, many people are cynical about the HoF, myself included. Still, if it brings people together to hear a speech like that, it's serving a purpose. PG is saying to up and coming musicians that music should be a passion rather than a business, and that's what it is to him. Good on him.

I still like Alex Lifeson's speech the best. He really said what needed to be said...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I still like Alex Lifeson's speech the best. He really said what needed to be said...
    What did he say? And when?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    What did he say? And when?
    Blah-blah-blah...etc...it was brilliant from last years Rush induction speech! You can find it on youtube
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

The HOF is a double-edged sword, IMO. On one hand, it's a privatized "boys club" of sorts, and MANY deserving artists are not yet in. On the other, many of the artists (like Gabriel) come from a time when, occasionally, true musical art got significant recognition...so I can understand his feeling honored and, in turn, respectful of it.

In the end, all artists will do what they do, regardless of whether or not the get a trophy because of it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    From an interview with Gabriel after the ceremony:

What's you're favorite thing you've seen backstage?
    Bruce was good! That was a nice moment. We have a place in Sardinia and we heard that he’d come by in David Geffen's boat. I’d love him to come have a meal.

Come on, I can think of a million people who would be more interesting that BS. It's like if some artist admits they aren't into Bruce they'd be blacklisted. He must be a nice enough guy though, judging on the artists who've had him guest on their albums (for some reason only Warren Zevon comes to mind).

Some very classy comments by Gabriel, guess I should at least watch his induction.

As to Alex Lifeson's speech from 2013, I thought it was funny for about the first 10 seconds. After that, I just wanted him to stop. I think it overshadowed some very heartfelt comments from Geddy and Neil. I loved it best when Geddy said something like "In the past we never thought of this as a big deal, but now (looking out over the huge, adoring audience), I guess it is". They seemed a bit humbled by the experience. So to me, Alex kind of ruined it a bit.

I thought what Alex did was not only quite funny in a backhanded sort of way but totally in character also. Come on, this guy has dinosaurs, Mr. Potatohead and a cutout of the Three Stooges on his amps and Barbie dolls as his "groupies" in front of his effects board, and you expect him to be serious?

It's just Big Al, hanging out at his Tiki Hut and being Big Al.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I thought what Alex did was not only quite funny in a backhanded sort of way but totally in character also. Come on, this guy has dinosaurs, Mr. Potatohead and a cutout of the Three Stooges on his amps and Barbie dolls as his "groupies" in front of his effects board, and you expect him to be serious?

It's just Big Al, hanging out at his Tiki Hut and being Big Al.
    Exactly. If Alex wasn't who he was we would never have had songs like "La Villa Strangiato". Thank GOD he's such a goofball.

Re: Gabriel, I'm just bummed he didn't feel anything pre-So to be worth playing that night. Harumph.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Unfortunately, the joke got old very fast. Had he just gone up to the mike and said blah, blah, blah a few times - it would have been perfect.