Thread: Dave Clark 5 documentary on PBS last night

Dave Clark 5 documentary on PBS last night

Anyone else catch that "Great Performances" thing on PBS about the DC5? Pretty interesting. I love rock documentaries. I was never a big fan of the DC5 but I remember they were huge for a couple years around 1964-65. I seem to remember having one of their LPs and a bunch of 45s. I never liked them that much. Yeah the hits were catchy, but nothing compared to the guys from Liverpool. I always thought of them as a second tier, British Invasion band like Herman's Hermits or Gerry And The Pacemakers. The Beatles, Stones, the Kinks, The Who were head and shoulders MUCH better. I was amazed at how many musicians and singers loved them, like Bruce Springstein, Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder, and Gene Simmons (in his Kiss get up), all gushing about the DC5. I also didn't know that he produced and directed a musical called "Time" with Freddie Mercury and Lawrence Olivier (and a bunch of other well known artists).

I missed it, but wanted to watch it, just had too much going on. Maybe they'll rebroadcast it. I remember seeing them in some teen movies, though I forget the titles. Bought some 45s by them at the time, and eventually a greatest hits lp, but their music doesn't do a lot for me now.

For me it seemed like they were pretty hot for about 2-3 years and then just faded into obscurity. I never knew they were still popular in the UK after 1967 until they disbanded in 1970. I know they sort of "rivaled" the Beatles and Stones early on. They never progressed or went all psychedelic like the other groups did. Well, I kind of admire that, the fact that they were still doing pop and they kept the saxaphone as part of the sound. Their music just never clicked with me. I think we just liked watching their Sullivan performances just to see Dave Clark go .... TAKA TA TAKA TA TAKA TA TAKA TA... on the drums. I'll listen to Glad All Over, Catch Us If You Can, and all those hits, and sing along to them if I happen to hear them.

I remember in the summer of '64 at the age of 13 I was in a dilemma about who I liked more, the fab four or the Tottenham 5. Needless to say I wasn't in a dilemma for long.
    I saw the DC5 perform and it was the first time I ever saw a strobe light, I was blown away.

Damn! That was a great documentary. I could have done without the Tom Hanks and Whoopi Goldberg reminiscences, but it was fantastic nonetheless! Gene Simmons dressed in his makeup, while very articulate, appears particularly ridiculous. There's also too much of a focus on "Time", Dave Clark's all-star stage musical.

The DC5's early songs are what pop gems should be, short, catchy, and powerfully played with great harmonies and lead vocals. Dave Clark was also an accomplished producer and businessman. It's a shame they couldn't evolve with the times.

It looks like Dave spent a portion of his money on some bad plastic surgery. His eyebrows seem to be pinned behind his ears!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 04-10-2014 at 12:06 PM.

^^ yeah, their pilot light definitely went out. Their lead singer, Mike Smith, was great!

I could have done without the Tom Hanks and Whoopi Goldberg reminiscences, but it was fantastic nonetheless
    I didn't mind Whoopi but Tom Hanks was tiresome with his ridiculous gushing on, and on, and on. The Tom Hanks bit was his induction speech of the DC5 in 2008. Christ it got old after 2 minutes.

Gene Simmons dressed in his makeup, while very articulate, appears particularly ridiculous.
    Man we just can't get away from those clowns can we? They're in documentaries, in threads on PE, etc. I'm officially SICK of Kiss, especially Gene and Paul.

There's also too much of a focus on "Time", Dave Clark's all-star stage musical.
    Well, the documentary is a good hour and 50 minutes or more so they had to pad it out. That's my impression anyway. Really, the DC5 weren't that big for very long.

Dave Clark was also an accomplished producer and businessman. It's a shame they couldn't evolve with the times.
    I think that's why they faded away. They didn't get better. They became irrelevent by 1967.

It looks like Dave spent a portion of his money on some bad plastic surgery. His eyebrows seem to be pinned behind his ears!
    I know. All he was missing were pointed ears. He looked like a Vulcan .

Dave obviously was a good business man, and he was ahead of his time. He saved the tapes of "Ready Steady Go" from being destroyed. And he always owned his music too. Gotta give him credit for all that. Overall he seems like a great bloke.

I grew up with the DC5 vs The Beatles with my older siblings split on who was better. I was a DC5 fan and while their hits were great and for a couple of years they were top shelf, they didn't grow artistically and soon disbanded. I have a 2 disc greatest hits set and that is enough. PBS.org is showing the documentary on demand for a couple more days.

While I'm not a fan of DC5, as a record store employee I find it insane they have no CD's currently in print. We had 3 people come in the store over the space of 30 minutes all looking for DC5 CD's. I know Dave owns his own masters, there must a decent record deal out there waiting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The Beatles, Stones, the Kinks, The Who were head and shoulders MUCH better.
    People never include the Animals in this litany. I think they were worthy.

^I agree. Eric Burdon and the Animals we're a tough band. Better than the DC5.

They showed the documentary again last night on PBS. I should at least find one of their compilations. I'm still amazed at how people like Elton John, Gene Simmons, Bruce Springteen were just gushing all over the DC5. It's the same type of gushing praise you hear for the Beach Boys. Like they know no one could touch the Beatles back then, and the Stones were right behind the Fabs, but the other groups like the DC5 had their heyday in the sun, and they caused just as much a stir.

Dave Clark never really progressed as a drummer *imo) but he had a style that appealed to the masses. As a young sprout I wanted to play drums, thanks to Ringo and Dave Clark. I just wanted to do that RATA TAT TAT thing .